1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 00:17
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    So you accept common descent, is that what you're saying?
    Yes.

You can even see it in scripture. God talks to the waters to bring forth life on to the land. When thinking about this, why talk to the waters? It is plain to see that creation is a step by step process using the building blocks from the Big Bang.

There is a reason man was the final creation.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 00:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes.

You can even see it in scripture. God talks to the waters to bring forth life on to the land. When thinking about this, why talk to the waters? It is plain to see that creation is a step by step process using the building blocks from the Big Bang.

There is a reason man was the final creation.
    Do you view evolution as a process which is left to the laws of nature or do you view God as having a hand in the process all the way through?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 01:10
    Some are uncomfortable with the word believe - OK. I'll just change it to 'accept'. For this list, you are considered to accept evolution if you accept common descent and the time needed to evolve the living things of today, given common descent.

Pro-evolution:
    whodey
    suzianne
    divegeester
    CalJust
    Zahlanzi

Anti-evolution:
    dasa
    RJHinds
    FreakyKBH
    sonship (this is an educated guess; he supports a literal Noah's ark.)
    RBHILL
    menace71
    robbiecarrobie
    galveston75

Pro evolution so far : 38.5%
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 01:45
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I'm just curious. I'd like to get a head count of which theists believe in evolution, and which do not. When I say 'believe in evolution', I mean embracing all of it. Millions of years; common descent of all life, etc. People who 'only believe in micro-evolution' will not be considered pro-evolution in my tally, but anti.

I'd like to know, by percenta ...[text shortened]... ducated guess; he supports a literal Noah's ark.)
    RBHILL

Pro evolution so far : [b]37.5%
    [/b]
    I do not buy into all it as you define it.
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 02:111 edit
    Do you view evolution as a process which is left to the laws of nature or do you view God as having a hand in the process all the way through?
    God had and continues to have his hand in everything. How he operates is a mystery. Anyone that says otherwise is being disingenuous or arrogant.

What I do find laughable, however, is abiogenesis. The entire premise is nonsensical to me.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 04:47
    Pro-evolution:
    whodey
    suzianne
    divegeester
    CalJust
    Zahlanzi

Anti-evolution:
    dasa
    RJHinds
    FreakyKBH
    RBHILL
    menace71
    robbiecarrobie
    galveston75
    KellyJay

Pro evolution so far : 35.7%
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 13:571 edit

Pro evolution so far : 35.7%[/b]
    Just because one does not reject scientific findings does not mean that they do not take the Bible literally.

I also believe that there was a flood. Was it world wide? I don't know. Did it contain all the animals that exist today? I don't believe it did. It could very well be that the flood wiped out all the known life in the region only. The ark could have then provided them with animal life in the immediate devastated area.

Likewise, the Bible does not say that the earth is only 6000 years old. This is an interpretation. In fact, some rabbinical scholars had come to the conclusion that the earth was much older, and this before science told us otherwise. They came to these conclusions based upon the Hebrew interpretation of the Bible as well as passed down knowledge.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 14:02
    Some are uncomfortable with the word believe - OK. I'll just change it to 'accept'. For this list, you are considered to [b]accept evolution if you accept common descent and the time needed to evolve the living things of today, given common descent.

Pro-evolution:
    whodey
    suzianne
    divegeester
    CalJust
    Zahlanzi

Anti-evolution ...[text shortened]... ah's ark.)
    RBHILL
    menace71
    robbiecarrobie
    galveston75

Pro evolution so far : [b]38.5%
    [/b]
    I think a distinction should be made for what type of evolution is being refereed to, for I have no objection to adaptation but I firmly reject transmutation of one species into another.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 14:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I think a distinction should be made for what type of evolution is being refereed to, for I have no objection to adaptation but I firmly reject transmutation of one species into another.
    I have questions about that as well. How God does it, I don't know, but what I do believe is that he changes life forms rather than just zapping them into existence.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 14:081 edit
    Considering the theory that species transmutation died out over 150 years ago I doubt you will find anybody who will disagree with you on that one.

Also a distinction was given, notice the term 'common descent'.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 14:12
    Considering the theory that species transmutation died out over 150 years ago I doubt you will find anybody who will disagree with you on that one.

Also a distinction was given, notice the term 'common descent'.
    wow it must have died out with the publication of Darwins book then, published 1859.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 14:132 edits
    wow it must have died out with the publication of Darwins book then, published 1859.
    Correct.

From the wiki -

Transmutation of species or Transformism are terms often used to describe 19th century evolutionary ideas for the altering of one species into another that preceded Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmutation_of_species
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 14:21
    Correct.

From the wiki -

Transmutation of species or Transformism are terms often used to describe 19th century evolutionary ideas for the altering of one species into another that preceded Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection.

That is the great thing about science. It humbles us into admitting we don't know as much as we think we do, or at least, it should.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 14:255 edits
    Correct.

From the wiki -

so common decent explains nothing about the relationship between genus, its merely an attempt to explain why there is variation within a genus, I firmly reject it then on the basis of discontinuity of species.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 14:361 edit
    so common decent explains nothing about the relationship between genus, its merely an attempt to explain why there is variation within a genus, I firmly reject it then on the basis of discontinuity of species.
    Common descent is the scientific theory that all life on this planet descended from a common ancestor.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree