1. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    13 Nov '10 03:262 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Who is living in a superstitious realm, if not you?
    Superstition plays no part in my life and I would be very disturbed if my happiness depended upon it as you freely admit it does for you.

I bear you no ill will, dude. But I find your insistance that there is 'no meaning to life' (and that life without the speculation you indulge in is a "meaningless time" ), unpersuasive because you are talking about yourself and not about me.

Apparently you haven't given life much thought. Maybe you're young and you think it will all work itself out for good (somehow), like in one of those feel-good movies Hollywood is wont to crank out.

I am sorry that life hasn't worked out for you and that you had to turn to religion to make things the way you need them to be. Good for you and I wish you well. Your 'solution' and your bleak take on life - such a wonderful thing as this life - is, nevertheless pitiful. And for you to try to justify your stance by telling yourself that those who are saddened by your predicament simply "haven't given life much thought" makes it all the more pitiful.

That way, when they fall down and find out life is a struggle, start to finish, they will lack the inner resources to face even simple challenges?

Yep. Life has its struggles and it has it joys. It is wonderful. That's been my take on it. You admit you need a prop to give it "meaning". You admit you need to speculate about an afterlife to give "meaning" to the here and now. Good luck to you. Different strokes, I suppose.

You haven't thought much about life if you haven't contemplated death and its meaning/impact on life.

I haven't contemplated death? Tell yourself what you want if it helps you to get through life without commiting suicide. But don't be surprised if people find your stance pitiful and alienating.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 21:31
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    If I knew, I wouldn't have asked 🙂

Seems like there are any number of concepts out there. What's yours?
    I believe that 'mind can transend matter' for one thing.
    I've experienced that.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 22:23
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I understand that it's a basic human defense mechanism to justify one's view of things, even it means altering reality in order to suit said perspective... so I'll go easier on ya.

Let's start in order: [b]"beliefs that defy reason..."
    A lot of weight in that stone. Any proof to the assertion that Christianity fails to stand to reason, or is the r ...[text shortened]... tended as an "Oh, s**t!" moment.

As for the rest of your 'statements,' well, meh.[/b]
    Show me an individual who seeks an "afterlife" and I'll show you an individual with an underlying fear of death.

Show me an individual who has convinced himself that he will have an afterlife and has that as the foundation for his life view and I'll show you an individual who has allowed his desire for an "afterlife" to get the better of him.

The following question from the OP seems to be very much in play here:
    "Is it possible for such individuals to speak rationally about these beliefs?"

I understand that it's a basic human defense mechanism to justify one's view of things, even it means altering reality in order to suit said perspective...

Glad you have at least some insight into yourself.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 22:25
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    This is a pitiful view of life, dude. Absolutely pitiful. What a grim glimpse it provides into the mechanism of some people's "faith". I enjoy life. I live it to the full. I have never contemplated suicide. And I can hardly conceive of an approach to this life that exists on such a knife edge of emptiness that only speculation and superstition can make ...[text shortened]... you love around you, I hope they never happen to stumble across and read your pitiful words.
    Please reread the OP. The text to which you responded was written by a different individual on another thread.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 22:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    No, I would not say it is "clearly"...many Christians...if it were just some why
    and not the belief system why bother to bring up Christianiity at all? You can say
    the samething about people in general, yet you paint your point by including
    "Christianity" as part of the topic name. So no I don't think you can just say you
    were really not talking about Christianity just some part of those that believe in
    it.
    Kelly
    You seem to be insistent on giving inferences you draw more weight than what is actually stated. The text quoted in the OP was written by a Christian and does lend some insight as to what might be going on in such individuals.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 22:32
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I believe that 'mind can transend matter' for one thing.
    I've experienced that.
    Somehow I don't think that that was what the author of the quoted text in the OP had in mind 🙂
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 22:341 edit
    Somehow I don't think that that was what the author of the quoted text in the OP had in mind 🙂
    Yes, and since you wrote the OP maybe you could kindly enlighten me as to what you think he may have meant by "transcendance"? You've aroused my curiosity.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 23:07
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yes, and since you wrote the OP maybe you could kindly enlighten me as to what you think he may have meant by "transcendance"? You've aroused my curiosity.
    Seems to me that it's "an afterlife with...an endless overflowing happiness [that lies beyond]...this dying misery-laden planet".
  9. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 23:34
    Please reread the OP. The text to which you responded was written by a different individual on another thread.
    Yes. Clearly. And it's a pitiful take on life. I have subsequently had some back and forth with its author, FreakyKBH. I didn't intend to address you. Thats why it says 'Originally quoted by ThinkOfOne'.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Nov '10 23:48
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    Yes. Clearly. And it's a pitiful take on life. I have subsequently had some back and forth with its author, FreakyKBH. I didn't intend to address you. Thats why it says 'Originally quoted by ThinkOfOne'.
    Okay. Just wanted to make sure that that was understood 🙂
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 05:48
    Seems to me that it's "an afterlife with...an endless overflowing happiness [that lies beyond]...this dying misery-laden planet".
    Gosh, I wonder why we have to abandon all these fine people right here living on this planet? 😕
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '10 05:57
    If you've ever wondered how many Christians manage to hold onto beliefs that defy reason, the following excerpt from a poster on another thread lends insight as to why this is the case for many: The thought of living in reality is too much to bear. Couple that with a fear of death and you have an underlying cause for living in delusion.

[quote]For s ...[text shortened]... respect?

Is it possible for such individuals to speak rationally about these beliefs?
    Oh no, not another Christian bigot alert!!

😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '10
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 20:21
    “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Thank you Stephen Roberts
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 21:322 edits
    Originally posted by umno
    “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Thank you Stephen Roberts
    I contend that I as a theist just believe in one more higher being then you do as an atheist.

Ravi Zacharias gives amazing testimony from a brain washing operation in Vietnam which turned a man from atheistic Marx and Engels to Christ.

YouTube
  15. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 21:56
    If you've ever wondered how many Christians manage to hold onto beliefs that defy reason, the following excerpt from a poster on another thread lends insight as to why this is the case for many: The thought of living in reality is too much to bear. Couple that with a fear of death and you have an underlying cause for living in delusion.

[quote]For s ...[text shortened]... respect?

Is it possible for such individuals to speak rationally about these beliefs?
    The human form of life is the only form of life, that offers the opportunity to question ones existence.

Christians accept the reality of God, and that is to their credit, in using their life for the purpose for which it is given.

The only thing that can be seen as a negative is, that they must see where there is error in their teachings....and correct that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree