Christianity as escape from reality

Christianity as escape from reality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
11 Nov 10
2 edits

If you've ever wondered how many Christians manage to hold onto beliefs that defy reason, the following excerpt from a poster on another thread lends insight as to why this is the case for many: The thought of living in reality is too much to bear. Couple that with a fear of death and you have an underlying cause for living in delusion.

For starters, my perspective on life is informed by the knowledge of the soul's immortal existence, of an afterlife with possibilities. Because I know there is an eventual satisfaction to man's yearning, an endless overflowing happiness one thrust beyond this thrust, I thrust on.

If I thought for a second that the time I spend carting this stinking rotting flesh around this dying misery-laden planet were 'all there is,' I'd check out before the second clicked past. There simply isn't enough joy to make up for all the rest of the crap life doles out. All of the sensory raptures one can experience simply fall short of removing even the smallest of injuries, if there is no ultimate, transcendent relief.

In light of this and the prevalance of many other religious/superstitious beliefs, has mankind progressed all that far in this respect?

Is it possible for such individuals to speak rationally about these beliefs?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Nov 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
If you've ever wondered how many Christians manage to hold onto beliefs that defy reason, the following excerpt from a poster on another thread lends insight as to why this is the case for many: The thought of living in reality is too much to bear. Couple that with a fear of death and you have an underlying cause for living in delusion.

For s ...[text shortened]... ving even the smallest of injuries, if there is no ultimate, transcendent relief.
Geez, I hope I pass that guy like a ship in the night.

I beleive in trancendance 'n' all but I see beauty and opportunity even in that which may seem old and dying.

T

Moves
11 Nov 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel

I beleive in trancendance 'n' all but I see beauty and opportunity even in that which may seem old and dying.
What do you mean by "transcendance"?

F

Moves
11 Nov 10

Does the girls like this dance - trancendance?
In that case I'm eager to try it.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Nov 10

What do you mean by "transcendance"?
transcendance-means a lot of things.
what do you think I mean by it?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Nov 10

[quote]For s ...[text shortened]... respect?

🙂 You have a firm grasp on reality now do you?

T

Moves
12 Nov 10

transcendance-means a lot of things.
what do you think I mean by it?
If I knew, I wouldn't have asked 🙂

Seems like there are any number of concepts out there. What's yours?

T

Moves
12 Nov 10

Originally posted by KellyJay
🙂 You have a firm grasp on reality now do you?
Meaning?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Nov 10

Meaning?
"The thought of living in reality is too much to bear. Couple that with a fear of death and you have an underlying cause for living in delusion. "

You are painting Christianity as not living in reality and delusional, you know this
is true, because? If Christianity is true, it would be those outside of a real
relationship with God in Christ who our outside of reality and delusional.
Kelly

T

Moves
12 Nov 10
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
"The thought of living in reality is too much to bear. Couple that with a fear of death and you have an underlying cause for living in delusion. "

You are painting Christianity as not living in reality and delusional, you know this
is true, because? If Christianity is true, it would be those outside of a real
relationship with God in Christ who our outside of reality and delusional.
Kelly
You've taken a couple of sentences out of context. Please reread the OP with the sentences in context. I was clearly speaking of "many Christians" (not of Christianity itself) and the holding of beliefs that defy reason.

If you also read the quoted text, you should be able to gain insight as to an underlying cause as to why many Christians have an extremely strong psychological compulsion to live outside reality.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
12 Nov 10

The main reason I believe in something (a god higher power whatever one wants to call it)is that I just can't rationally believe that we just came from nothing. Think about what absolute nothing is. I know we can speculate on and on until we are blue in the face about what came before what is now but I just can't except that we came from nothing or chance is all. Now I agree that a lot of religious ideas are not reality but that's my take on it.
I think for most Christians it helps them understand reality better.

Manny

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Nov 10

[quote]For s ...[text shortened]... respect?

I understand that it's a basic human defense mechanism to justify one's view of things, even it means altering reality in order to suit said perspective... so I'll go easier on ya.

Let's start in order: "beliefs that defy reason..." A lot of weight in that stone. Any proof to the assertion that Christianity fails to stand to reason, or is the reader better off letting you make that decision for them? Does reason reside only with those who reject Christianity, or can it be said that reasonable folks on both sides of the aisle are recognized as such? I hold myself up as Exhibit A as such an example. In my five years on these forums, I've been accused of many shortcomings, but unreasonable isn't one of them-- or at least, not a frequently occurring one.

The thought of living in reality is a statement requiring a bit more fleshing out, especially on the latter part. What standard shall we use for the term reality? One which wholesale rejects Christianity in order to be in the club, or is your version a bit more conciliatory? What are you using for the standards of reality? For instance, when the soldiers abandoned an empty tomb, given their lack of vested interest in anything less than saving their own hides, was that reality? When the followers of the Lord Jesus Christ came upon that same empty tomb, should we dismiss their witness, given their (ob-vi-ous!) stakes in establishing a new-fangled religious movement?

Couple that with a fear of death and you have an underlying cause for living in delusion.
Psychoanalyze much? Did you read anything I wrote which could even remotely be construed as a fear of death? Dude, death is a promotion for the believer, not intended as an "Oh, s**t!" moment.

As for the rest of your 'statements,' well, meh.

JWB

Moves
12 Nov 10

Originally quoted by ThinkOfOne
If I thought for a second that the time I spend carting this stinking rotting flesh around this dying misery-laden planet were 'all there is,' I'd check out before the second clicked past. There simply isn't enough joy to make up for all the rest of the crap life doles out. All of the sensory raptures one can experience simply fall short of removing even the smallest of injuries, if there is no ultimate, transcendent relief.
This is a pitiful view of life, dude. Absolutely pitiful. What a grim glimpse it provides into the mechanism of some people's "faith". I enjoy life. I live it to the full. I have never contemplated suicide. And I can hardly conceive of an approach to this life that exists on such a knife edge of emptiness that only speculation and superstition can make it seem worthwhile. Jeez, if you have kids or a spouse or people you love around you, I hope they never happen to stumble across and read your pitiful words.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Nov 10

You've taken a couple of sentences out of context. Please reread the OP with the sentences in context. I was clearly speaking of "many Christians" (not of Christianity itself) and the holding of beliefs that defy reason.

If you also read the quoted text, you should be able to gain insight as to an underlying cause as to why many Christians have an extremely strong psychological compulsion to live outside reality.
No, I would not say it is "clearly"...many Christians...if it were just some why
and not the belief system why bother to bring up Christianiity at all? You can say
the samething about people in general, yet you paint your point by including
"Christianity" as part of the topic name. So no I don't think you can just say you
were really not talking about Christianity just some part of those that believe in
it.
Kelly

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Nov 10

Originally posted by John W Booth
This is a pitiful view of life, dude. Absolutely pitiful. What a grim glimpse it provides into the mechanism of some people's "faith". I enjoy life. I live it to the full. I have never contemplated suicide. And I can hardly conceive of an approach to this life that exists on such a knife edge of emptiness that only speculation and superstition can make ...[text shortened]... you love around you, I hope they never happen to stumble across and read your pitiful words.
Apparently you haven't given life much thought. Maybe you're young and you think it will all work itself out for good (somehow), like in one of those feel-good movies Hollywood is wont to crank out.

You haven't thought much about life if you haven't contemplated death and its meaning/impact on life. Your claims of living life to the full rings hollow.

As for my loved ones, what would you prefer I do? Lie to them and tell them it's all one big ball of joy? That way, when they fall down and find out life is a struggle, start to finish, they will lack the inner resources to face even simple challenges? Lie to them and tell them there is no meaning to this thing, and that is the meaning to making the most out of their meaningless time here?

Who is living in a superstitious realm, if not you?