1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 10:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Why do I hear the sound of Charlie Browns teacher, weird, kind of like a whap whap whaaa, muted trumpet sound.
    Dunno mate, maybe it's a symptom of cognitive dissonance as you desperately try to square belief in divinely inspired scripture with reason and logic.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 12:031 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Dunno mate, maybe it's a symptom of cognitive dissonance as you desperately try to square belief in divinely inspired scripture with reason and logic.
    yeah thats what it must be although i swear I cited incontrovertible proof of internal harmony, fulfilled prophecy and hygiene laws in advance of their time. Strange, really strange.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 13:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yeah thats what it must be although i swear I cited incontrovertible proof of internal harmony, fulfilled prophecy and hygiene laws in advance of their time. Strange, really strange.
    "Incontrovertible"?! Proof???

That's some bitchin' swagger you got there, cuz I KNOW you ain't stupid enough to actually believe that jive.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 13:43
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    "Incontrovertible"?! Proof???

That's some bitchin' swagger you got there, cuz I KNOW you ain't stupid enough to actually believe that jive.
    I don't think its nice you laughin, ma mule gits the crazy idea that your laughin at him, so, if you apologise, like i know your gonna, we'll be on our way (aow aow aow, wah wah wah)
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    03 Feb '13 22:41
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    But why make the claim?
    Christianity is based upon the teachings of Christ, a Christian is one who adopts and applies those teachings.

Why not just acknowledge that "Christianity is based upon the teachings [of the Bible on the whole], a Christian is one who adopts and applies those teachings"?

Beyond that, why don't they just ackno ...[text shortened]... e who adopts and applies [one of the subsets and/or extrapolations of] those teachings.
    "?
    Sorry for the delay, ToO.

Here's the core of the issue (although I think someone else herein has already touched upon these very points).

The central figure, the lynch pin upon whom the entire edifice rests, is the Man, the second Adam, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Everything revolves around the Unique Person of the Universe. He is God. He is man. There is no one else remotely close to Him in essence.

He had a specific mission when He was on the planet, a piece to say. While every syllable, every letter is connected and related to the whole, when we try to parse out each of them in an effort to ascertain their individual significance, we end up denying the forest because we're too close to see the trees.

Ultimately, it ALL comes down to His word.
    But if we can't see His word in the mosaic of the whole picture, we were better off not hearing it at all.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 05:39
    Originally posted by galveston75
    What does Revelation itself say? Are there any quotes from Jesus there?
    How about:

"Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; the mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches."
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '13 16:45
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Sorry for the delay, ToO.

Here's the core of the issue (although I think someone else herein has already touched upon these very points).

The central figure, the lynch pin upon whom the entire edifice rests, is the Man, the second Adam, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Everything revolves around the Unique Person of the Universe. He is God. He is man. Th ...[text shortened]... 't see His word in the mosaic of the whole picture, we were better off not hearing it at all.
    This doesn't really address the questions in my post.

However, you seem to be saying that the teachings of Jesus, in and of themselves, are incomprehensible. Do I understand you correctly?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree