1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 00:45
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Do you think that obnoxiously going around threatening people with an eternity of torment after
    death cast's either you or your god in a good light?

Also atheists really don't 'know it'. we really don't believe god exists and thus don't know that it
    is waiting for us in the afterlife, or that the afterlife exists, or that if there is a god, and an ...[text shortened]... egal sense of attributing things to their proper sources, and not plagiarising people.)
    I'm not threatening anyone. I'm warning you.

But like all good deniers you must focus attention away from what is said to personal attacks to avoid your own weaknesses.

Weaknesses the Bible clearly points out, but you are afraid to face. That's why you make the accusations.
  2. Maryland
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 00:46
    Originally posted by josephw
    I do know it.

[b]You
    say you don't know it. Why should that mean I don't?

That's irrational, in case you don't realise it. What you really don't know is that I know God, and you know you don't.[/b]
    If you are right, tell me one thing in the definition I posted that is not correct from your point of view.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 00:51
    I'm not threatening anyone. I'm warning you.

But like all good deniers you must focus attention away from what is said to personal attacks to avoid your own weaknesses.

Weaknesses the Bible clearly points out, but you are afraid to face. That's why you make the accusations.
    You are saying that if I don't join your faith then I will upon death have to face god who will
    punish me for not joining by torturing me for all eternity...

If that isn't a threat then I don't know what is.

I have no fear of hell, none whatsoever.
    I have no fear that you are right, none whatsoever.
    I don't fear your god, at all.

I don't believe that hell exists, that I have a soul, that there is an afterlife, or that your god exists.

You seem to find this very hard to grasp but atheists are not afraid of your god in the same way
    that I am not afraid of Voldemort or Darth Vader.
    They are fictions, and no more scary than any other fictional character, in fact in many cases god
    is considerably less scary than other fictional villains.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 00:52
    I do know it.

[b]You

That's irrational, in case you don't realise it. What you really don't know is that I know God, and you know you don't.[/b]
    If I am not rational, please tell me anything in the original post that I did not state correctly according to the beliefs of Christianity. If I got it all right, why are you upset?
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 01:071 edit
    I do know it.

[b]You

If you KNOW there is a god and what that god wants then PROVE it.

Knowledge by definition requires that you be able to prove it.
    If you can't prove it then you can't know it.

So, show us your proof, we are all dying to know, I mane this is important stuff right...

EDIT: answered and dealt with in other thread.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 01:51
    Originally posted by 667joe
    I post here because I hope to show theists how silly they are, and give them a chance to redeem themselves with reason. If I can increased the doubt in a theist even a little bit, I will have made a difference.
    Redemption? How do I get redemption? Can I confess all my the theistic faith to you?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 02:13
    If I am not rational, please tell me anything in the original post that I did not state correctly according to the beliefs of Christianity. If I got it all right, why are you upset?
    Who's upset? I'm not. Not in the least.

What is irrational is to project your own lack of knowledge of the existence of God as evidence for the non-existence of God, and then to assert that because you don't know God that neither do I.

Be honest. You don't know whether there is a God or not. That's the best you can do. There is no evidence for a negative assertion. And it is irrational to assert that the existence of the universe is not evidence for the existence of a creator/God; or, that the existence of the universe is evidence for the non-existence of God.

On the other hand it is completely rational to assert that the existence of the universe is overwhelming evidence for a creator/God. In fact, creation is the only plausible rational explanation for the existence of anything.

All arguments to the contrary are irrational, unsubstantive and without a shred of evidence.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 02:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    Redemption? How do I get redemption? Can I confess all my the theistic faith to you?
    "Can I confess all my the theistic faith to you?"

Do you think there's room in this thread for that? 😉
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 03:2010 edits
    [b]"Can I confess all my the theistic faith to you?"

Do you think there's room in this thread for that? 😉[/b]
    Sure.

It goes something like this.

(Curtain pulled)

Forgive me Joe, for I have sinned.

I have believed that I have been created without proof when nature really done it by chance. In fact, nature is by chance......why heck, chance is by chance!!!

I have believed that Jesus Christ came to die for my sins because he loved me and believed Jesus when he said that love is the medicine that ails me. In fact, I believed that the lack of such love is why the world is so screwed up. What was I thinking when I really should have read more Dawkins books and learn'in about science?

All of those night studying the scriptures and on my knees to God trying to assess what sins there be in my life that needed to go so I could be a better person I guess was just in vain. What was I thinking? Instead, I coulda been out getting drunk and then deriding those of faith who attempted a similar path like Mother Teresa. You know, just like Hitchens used to do. He would sit around criticizing Mother Teresa for not doing enough for the poor while he sat back on his arse and horded his wealth while getting drunk every night. Oh what a great writer he was!! With a drink in one hand and a pen in the other he could flat out tear people asunder without much effort whatsoever and have money pouring out his arse for such writing. People simply could not get enough. Then when he came to the next morning with a hangover people would sing his praises into oblivion. That's the way to live ones life!!

Can you ever forgive me Joe? Is Whodey pardoned for denying his spontaneous, causeless, sourceless, purposeless, meaningless existence?
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 05:42
    Who's upset? I'm not. Not in the least.

What is irrational is to project your own lack of knowledge of the existence of God as evidence for the non-existence of God, and then to assert that because you don't know God that neither do I.

Be honest. You don't [b]know
    whether there is a God or not. That's the best you can do. There is no evidence for a ...[text shortened]... ll arguments to the contrary are irrational, unsubstantive and without a shred of evidence.[/b]
    You sir, are wrong and you can't prove otherwise!
  11. Maryland
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 05:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sure.

It goes something like this.

(Curtain pulled)

Forgive me Joe, for I have sinned.

I have believed that I have been created without proof when nature really done it by chance. In fact, nature is by chance......why heck, chance is by chance!!!

I have believed that Jesus Christ came to die for my sins because he loved me and believed Jesus w ...[text shortened]... rdoned for denying his spontaneous, causeless, sourceless, purposeless, meaningless existence?
    Mother Teresa only perpetuated the problems of the poor. When asked to return stolen money donated to her, she refused, and most of the money donated to her was not used to help the poor, but was kept by the corrupt Catholic Church which has valued its priests at a higher level than the children it has molested. (Churches are dirty institutions. I alway feel unclean after visiting one!)
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 06:5423 edits
    I post here because I hope to show theists how silly they are, and give them a chance to redeem themselves with reason. If I can increased the doubt in a theist even a little bit, I will have made a difference.
    Oh I see,I was correct then.

I thought for a minute there that your life had no purpose.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 07:13
    The belief that a walking dead Jewish deity who was his own father although he always existed, commits suicide by cop, although he didn't really die, in order to give himself permission not to send you to an eternal place of torture that he created for you, but instead to make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh, drink his blood, and telepathi ...[text shortened]... woman and a mud-man were convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. -Anonymous
    Well, this is obviously wrong, not that you care about accurately representing Christian beliefs. First, Trinitarian Christians do not believe that the Father is the Son; second, Christians believe that Jesus really did die; third, reception of Eucharist has never been considered essential for salvation and many Christians would baulk at the suggestion that it is merely 'symbolic'; fourth, most Christians reject a literal interpretation of Scripture and there is much debate about the nature of Original Sin.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 07:16
    Mother Teresa only perpetuated the problems of the poor. When asked to return stolen money donated to her, she refused, and most of the money donated to her was not used to help the poor, but was kept by the corrupt Catholic Church which has valued its priests at a higher level than the children it has molested. (Churches are dirty institutions. I alway feel unclean after visiting one!)
    Can you substantiate any of this? I am not aware of Mother Teresa keeping stolen money. Nor am I aware that money of her religious order was suborned by the Catholic Church (what claim would the Church have over the assets of her religious order?). I have no idea how Mother Teresa could be complicit in the scandal of child sex abuse. Can you identify any cases of systematic coverups committed in her missionaries?
  15. Maryland
    Moves
    09 Jan '12 12:51
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Can you substantiate any of this? I am not aware of Mother Teresa keeping stolen money. Nor am I aware that money of her religious order was suborned by the Catholic Church (what claim would the Church have over the assets of her religious order?). I have no idea how Mother Teresa could be complicit in the scandal of child sex abuse. Can you identify any cases of systematic coverups committed in her missionaries?
    In the Siverado Savings and Loan Scandal , Charles Keating was convicted of stealing Millions. Before he was caught, he donated $250000 to Mother Teresa. After he was convicted Mother T wrote the prosecuter and asked that Keating be shown mercy in sentencing because he (Keating) had donated so generously to Mother T. The prosecuter contacted Mother T and asked that the money be returned because it was stolen money and it's theft ruined the lives of many working people. Mother T ignored the prosecuter and did not return the money. I did not say mother T sexually abused children. She did, however, receive millions in donations which she did not use to help the poor, but rather turned over to the Vatican, and it is well known that child sexual abuse has been common in the Catholic Church. This is all documented in a book called The Missionary Position by Christopher Hitchens.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree