1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8964
    30 May '18 13:29
    Nearly half of all Christians in the United States think that a person's poverty is due to lack of effort.

    A poll by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 46 percent of Christians see poverty as the result of individual failings.

    "There's a strong Christian impulse to understand poverty as deeply rooted in morality — often, as the bible makes clear, in unwillingness to work, in bad financial decisions or in broken family structures," Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, told the Washington Post. "The Christian worldview is saying that all poverty is due to sin, though that doesn't necessarily mean the sin of the person in poverty. In the Garden of Eden, there would have been no poverty. In a fallen world, there is poverty."

    Those who are atheist, agnostic or unaffiliated were more than twice as likely than Christians to claim that difficult circumstances are more to blame for a person's poverty than lack of effort (65 percent to 31 percent).

    In the poll, 29 percent of all non-Christians said that a lack of effort is generally to blame for a person's poverty, compared with 46 percent of all Christians.



    https://ffrf.org/publications/freethought-today/item/30451-christians-are-more-likely-to-blame-poverty-on-effort
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    30 May '18 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Nearly half of all Christians in the United States think that a person's poverty is due to lack of effort.

    A poll by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 46 percent of Christians see poverty as the result of individual failings.

    "There's a strong Christian impulse to understand poverty as deeply rooted in morality — ...[text shortened]... /publications/freethought-today/item/30451-christians-are-more-likely-to-blame-poverty-on-effort
    I've met some wealthy conservative American tourists over the years who have started blabbering on after a few beers about how their wealth was God's direct reward for being virtuous and for their strong faith. And then a beer or two later... blabbering on about how poverty is caused by a lack of virtue and faith. Interesting people to talk to, for sure.
  3. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    30 May '18 13:43
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Nearly half of all Christians in the United States think that a person's poverty is due to lack of effort.

    A poll by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 46 percent of Christians see poverty as the result of individual failings.

    "There's a strong Christian impulse to understand poverty as deeply rooted in morality — ...[text shortened]... /publications/freethought-today/item/30451-christians-are-more-likely-to-blame-poverty-on-effort
    For the Christian I cannot see the point in trying to determine what was the cause of poverty. There is no requirement to find that out. Of course there are many factors .. but who cares. .. leave that to the analysts. The job of the Christian if they understand Christ is to assist those in need, not judge why they are in that needy position in the first place. The Good Samaritan did not care why the man was in trouble .. he just helped because he was compassionate and caring. The Rich Man probably was like some Christians of today. They decided that Lazarus was a lazy bum who just wanted some free food. The Good Samaritan will enter the Kingdom of God and the RIch man will be cast out.
  4. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    30 May '18 13:48
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I've met some wealthy conservative American tourists over the years who have started blabbering on after a few beers about how their wealth was God's direct reward for being virtuous and for their strong faith. And then a beer or two later... blabbering on about how poverty is caused by a lack of virtue and faith. Interesting people to talk to, for sure.
    The prosperity gospel in action.
    The gospel of Satan.
    In the same boat like the osas gospel
  5. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    30 May '18 13:56
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    The prosperity gospel in action.
    Yes, that's what it's called. I couldn't recall, and the sort of people who've professed it [to me at least] do not actually refer to it with that term.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology
  6. Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Joined
    31 Jan '18
    Moves
    3456
    30 May '18 13:59
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    The prosperity gospel in action.
    The gospel of Satan.
    In the same boat like the osas gospel
    Prosperity gospel isn’t Biblical. OSAS has Biblical support.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    30 May '18 14:071 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Nearly half of all Christians in the United States think that a person's poverty is due to lack of effort.

    A poll by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 46 percent of Christians see poverty as the result of individual failings.

    "There's a strong Christian impulse to understand poverty as deeply rooted in morality — ...[text shortened]... /publications/freethought-today/item/30451-christians-are-more-likely-to-blame-poverty-on-effort
    Funny stuff.

    I don't know of anyone who does not agree that poverty is a result of human failings.

    Who or what then should we blame?
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    30 May '18 14:141 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I don't know of anyone who does not agree that poverty is a result of human failings.

    Who or what then should we blame?
    Blame? One answer is that poverty can be structural, where wealthy parties use their power to amass even more wealth, and an even greater proportion of the wealth, while both political mechanisms and the "free" market, a.k.a. the 'violence of poverty' in this case, assist them in doing this. The solution in the face of such power lies partly in collective action, I am sure you will agree.

    Do you believe that "prosperity theology" ~ as defined in the link above - is heresy?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    30 May '18 14:18
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Prosperity gospel isn’t Biblical. OSAS has Biblical support.
    OSAS is nice but who gets to judge their own salvation?

    As for the poor...Christians are to feed the poor.

    Does poverty perpetuate itself by its cultural values? Definitely.
  10. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    30 May '18 14:19
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Funny stuff.

    I don't know of anyone who does not agree that poverty is a result of human failings.

    Who or what then should we blame?
    Why do you need to blame someone?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    30 May '18 14:261 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Blame? One answer is that poverty can be structural, where wealthy parties use their power to amass even more wealth, and an even greater proportion of the wealth, while both political mechanisms and the "free" market, a.k.a. the 'violence of poverty' in this case, assist them in doing this. The solution in the face of such power lies partly in collective actio ...[text shortened]... agree.

    Do you believe that "prosperity theology" ~ as defined in the link above - is heresy?
    So we have established that poverty is a result of human failure.

    Yay!

    Now we must establish a solution cuz everything has a solution that only a collectivist secular state can created.

    Tell that to the Amish.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    30 May '18 14:27
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Why do you need to blame someone?
    Come on man, you feel the need to blame the likes of me about something pretty much every day.
  13. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    30 May '18 14:28
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Does poverty perpetuate itself by its cultural values? Definitely.
    The rich using the institutionalized 'violence of poverty' against the poor is, of course, a prominent example of such a "cultural value".
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29845
    30 May '18 14:29
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Now we must establish a solution cuz everything has a solution that only a collectivist secular state can created.
    Solutions come out of communities and they come out of civil society too.
  15. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    30 May '18 14:29
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Come on man, you feel the need to blame the likes of me about something pretty much every day.
    I notice you cannot address the issue.
Back to Top