1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '18 14:30
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So we have established that poverty is a result of human failure.
    I gave just one example. Do you have some others?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '18 14:31
    Tell that to the Amish.
    Do you believe that "prosperity theology" ~ as defined in the link above - is heresy?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '18 14:39
    Originally posted by @rajk999 to whodey
    I notice you cannot address the issue.
    It looks like it may be one of whodey's trademark facetious-crypto-fascist drive-by drivel-shootings. 😕
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 May '18 15:09
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Nearly half of all Christians in the United States think that a person's poverty is due to lack of effort.

A poll by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 46 percent of Christians see poverty as the result of individual failings.

"There's a strong Christian impulse to understand poverty as deeply rooted in morality — ...[text shortened]... /publications/freethought-today/item/30451-christians-are-more-likely-to-blame-poverty-on-effort
    It's easier to blame the poor for their plight than admit society, and life in general, is inherently unfair.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 May '18 15:10
    Funny stuff.

I don't know of anyone who does not agree that poverty is a result of human failings.

Who or what then should we blame?
    Famine? Drought? Earthquakes? Pestilence? Or a dozen other things outside of man's control.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 May '18 16:551 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Do you believe that "prosperity theology" ~ as defined in the link above - is heresy?
    I dunno about that.

All I know is that televangelist Jesse Duplantis is asking for people to give money for his $54 million new jet.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/05/29/dear-lord-televangelist-asking-supporters-for-his-4th-private-plane-its-54-million

Won't you give today?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 May '18 16:56
    Famine? Drought? Earthquakes? Pestilence? Or a dozen other things outside of man's control.
    Wrong!

It's Trump's fault.
  8. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    30 May '18 16:59
    Each individual case of poverty has to be looked at separately. Some people are flat out lazy, others make poor decisions, and others are in poverty due to circumstances beyond their control.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 May '18 17:051 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    The rich using the institutionalized 'violence of poverty' against the poor is, of course, a prominent example of such a "cultural value".
    Obviously you have never tried teaching academic subjects to poverty kids in public schools. Or at least for very long.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 May '18 17:06
    Wrong!

It's Trump's fault.
    I thought it was Bush's fault.
  11. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    30 May '18 17:08
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I thought it was Bush's fault.
    It's the fault of every Republican president who ever lived.
  12. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    30 May '18 17:10
    The definition of "poverty" is also relative. But we all know that.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 May '18 17:22
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Obviously you have never tried teaching academic subjects to poverty kids in public schools. Or at least for very long.
    You disagreed with the example I gave?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 May '18 18:25
    Nearly half of all Christians in the United States think that a person's poverty is due to lack of effort.

A poll by The Washington Post and the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 46 percent of Christians see poverty as the result of individual failings.

"There's a strong Christian impulse to understand poverty as deeply rooted in morality — ...[text shortened]... /publications/freethought-today/item/30451-christians-are-more-likely-to-blame-poverty-on-effort
    Kinda hard to take seriously anything from Dawkins and his axe-grinding agenda.
    Out of curiosity, isn't your curiosity piqued when someone doesn't cite their source of information--- I mean, other than saying so-and-so says such-and-such?
    Where's the actual survey the WP relied upon to make such a pronouncement?
    Sketchy, at best.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    30 May '18 18:26
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    It's easier to blame the poor for their plight than admit society, and life in general, is inherently unfair.
    One could almost say perfectly unfair.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree