Christians and the military.

Christians and the military.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
12 Jul 11
3 edits

It has been asserted, that,

I believe the Jehovah's Witnesses are more of a coward than I am.
They refuse to serve in the military like regular Christians.
Maybe, that is why you are a member of the JW's, coward.

this of course appears to me to transgress the most sacred of principles, that life is
sacrosanct to God, for he was the originator of life and it does not belong to man to
take it. Not only that, it also appears to me to be in direct conflict with certain
Biblical principles, namely,

(2 Corinthians 10:3-4) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare
according to [what we are in the] flesh.  For the weapons of our warfare are not
fleshly
, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things.

(Isaiah 2:3-4) . . .For out of Zion law will go forth, and the word of Jehovah out of
Jerusalem. 4 And he will certainly render judgment among the nations and set
matters straight respecting many peoples. And they will have to beat their swords
into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword
against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.

Therefore I would like to ask those military sons, on what Christian principles will
you learn warfare?

&feature=fvst

n

Moves
12 Jul 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie

[b]They refuse to serve in the military like regular Christians.

this of course appears to me to transgress the most sacred of principles, that life is
sacrosanct to God, for he was the ...[text shortened]... nciples will
you learn warfare?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjQD-aZOL10&feature=fvst[/b]
JW's are not cowards.

IMO JW's are much truer to the words written in your bible (purportely by Jesus) about how to behave than all these god fearing soldiers who go and kill for political & economic reaosns in foreign countries.

l certainly do not agree with many JW beliefs; however on this point Robbie is rock solid correct versus the hypocrites who break commandment after commandment.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Jul 11

OMG CRUSADE FOR CONSTANTINOPLE

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 11

I don't believe the Scriptures here are referring to situations of just war. Are you telling me that God would seriously disapprove of those Christians in England who entered combat to defend their nation, to prevent Germany's ruthless invasion of Europe and enforced concentration camps?

Moves
12 Jul 11

[b]They refuse to serve in the military like regular Christians.

sacrosanct to God, for he was the ...[text shortened]... nciples will
you learn warfare?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjQD-aZOL10&feature=fvst[/b]
Have you read the OT?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
13 Jul 11

I think war sucks!!! However case and point if not for England's battle against Germany R.C. you might be speaking German today. I argue that defending ourselves is an instinct put in us from God. There is a time to fight for the oppressed of the world and to defend peace and liberty. There is a such thing as just war. Also explain God commanding the Israelites to destroy their enemies and not spare? Peace can't happen without justice first and a defending of peace is what keeps peace.

Manny

rc

Moves
13 Jul 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
I don't believe the Scriptures here are referring to situations of just war. Are you telling me that God would seriously disapprove of those Christians in England who entered combat to defend their nation, to prevent Germany's ruthless invasion of Europe and enforced concentration camps?
on what Christian principles will you learn warfare?

rc

Moves
13 Jul 11

Originally posted by divegeester
Have you read the OT?
on what Christian principles will you learn warfare? notice the term Christian.

rc

Moves
13 Jul 11
2 edits

Originally posted by menace71
I think war sucks!!! However case and point if not for England's battle against Germany R.C. you might be speaking German today. I argue that defending ourselves is an instinct put in us from God. There is a time to fight for the oppressed of the world and to defend peace and liberty. There is a such thing as just war. Also explain God commanding the Israe ...[text shortened]... e can't happen without justice first and a defending of peace is what keeps peace.

Manny
on what Christian principles will you learn warfare? First you shall answer the question then you may make an attempt to morally justify your assertions. Please note also the term Christian, which some of you are having trouble with. The old covenant and what transpired in the Hebrew scriptures was specific to the ancient Hebrews and the nation of Israel, it was and is not binding on Christians.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Jul 11

on what Christian principles will you learn warfare? First you shall answer the question then you may make an attempt to morally justify your assertions. Please note also the term Christian, which some of you are having trouble with. The old covenant and what transpired in the Hebrew scriptures was specific to the ancient Hebrews and the nation of Israel, it was and is not binding on Christians.
In Matthew, chapter 22 verses 34-40 one of the Pharisees asks Jesus,
"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And Jesus said
to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all
your soul, and with all your mind.' "This is the great and foremost
commandment. The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as
yourself.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the
Prophets."

So it is on the Christian principles of loving God and neighbor that I joined
the Army to defend the South Vietnamese against communist oppression
and to stop its evil spreading to the rest of the world.

Cape Town

Moves
13 Jul 11

on what Christian principles will you learn warfare?
Most of the OT. It contains long lists of wars engaged in by the Jews at Gods command.

rc

Moves
13 Jul 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
Most of the OT. It contains long lists of wars engaged in by the Jews at Gods command.
why is this point so hard for you to understand, the Jews, that is, non Christians waged war at Gods command, the question was, what Christian (that is non Jewish, non Muslim, non, Hindu, non anything other than Christian) principles will you cite to learn war. Notice you have not produced any Christian principles. Is this a failure to understand the question? Did you misread the text? is the text ambiguous? the language verbose? Is it full of jargon and in-house terms? what is it about, what CHRISTIAN principles that yet evades you.

rc

Moves
13 Jul 11
4 edits

Originally posted by RJHinds
against communist oppression
sooo it was God loving and neighbourly for the US military to intervene in a foreign war, to drop tons of bombs, to use Napalm to burn people to death, to send in their droves thousands of young Americans to their death, not to mention innocent women and children caught up in this display of neighbourly love. I see, ummmm, where is the loving and neighbourly part about killing, i seem to be missing that, perhaps you could point it out? as try as i might i cannot find the Christian principle, 'to defend the world against communism', anywhere in the Bible, could you point out the chapter and verse for me.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
13 Jul 11

Originally posted by Conrau K
when Jesus said to offer the other cheek as well he made no caveat's like "unless they hit you unjustly"

D

St. Peter's

Moves
13 Jul 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
...[text shortened]... against communist oppression
killing them with kindness?