1. Joined
    22 Mar '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 03:31
    Christians do not make me sick but I was a little bit surprised by the number of Christian people blogging about the Virginia Tech massacre and rather than actually showing solidarity with the victims and the families of the victims, instead went into philosophical discussions about the nature of God, attempting to reconcile competing realities (God as all-knowing, all-good, all-powerful; evil’s existence&hellipšŸ˜‰...

For more please finish the next two paragraphs at http://kakistocrat.blogsome.com/

I would be honoured by your comments there whether positive or negative...
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 08:56
    Originally posted by Friar
    Christians do not make me sick but I was a little bit surprised by the number of Christian people blogging about the Virginia Tech massacre and rather than actually showing solidarity with the victims and the families of the victims, instead went into philosophical discussions about the nature of God, attempting to reconcile competing realities (God as all-kno ...[text shortened]... crat.blogsome.com/

Those that practice what they are suppose to will not do their 'good works for you to see', rather only for God too, those that want to just
    blow smoke will.
    Kelly
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 12:08
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Those that practice what they are suppose to will not do their 'good works for you to see', rather only for God too, those that want to just
    blow smoke will.
    Kelly
    I thought the point of christianity was to spread gods word through practice.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 16:32
    Originally posted by Wayne1324
    I thought the point of christianity was to spread gods word through practice.
    Nope, we don't deal with gods anything, God yes. What we are
    suppose to do, is live our lives humbly before God, doing our
    good works not before man, but God. If you do your good works
    before man for man's eyes, that is your reward, all the little cheers
    and pats on the back you get.
    Kelly
  5. RDU NC
    Moves
    19 Apr '07 17:08
    Kelly
    let your light so shine before men that they may see your good work and glorify your god who is in heaven.

it's not the works. it's the motivation. xians should be seen doing more good in the world. xians just need more humility to deal with the praise that will follow. xians must learn to transfer the glory to god.
  6. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 04:23
    i say: let him defend himself
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 04:32
    Kelly
    You must not have read the Sermon on the Mount:

Matthew 5: 14-16: Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house.

16 Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 12:58
    Kelly
    What utter crap you spout.....good grief !!!
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:32
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    There is a difference between god, gods, and God if you don't know
    it you should learn it.
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:33
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    let your light so shine before men that they may see your good work and glorify your god who is in heaven.

it's not the works. it's the motivation. xians should be seen doing more good in the world. xians just need more humility to deal with the praise that will follow. xians must learn to transfer the glory to god.
    By all means yes, but that is not the same thing as simply doing
    things to be seen for being seens sake.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    ZellulƤrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Apr '07 16:36
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    You have to get used to the way he talks. I have come to appreciate his point of view.
  12. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 03:35
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You must not have read the Sermon on the Mount:

Matthew 5: 14-16: Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house.

16 [b]Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven
    .[/b]
    What about the passage where Jesus says something to the extent of "pray in your room, not before others" and continues on, saying "if you are fasting (which could apply to other actions other than fasting), wear your usual clothes, don't put a bag on your head and cover yourself with ashes (drawing attention to yourself)." Again, this is a VERY off-the-top-of-my-head reccolection, but it gets the point across.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 04:55
    There is a difference between god, gods, and God if you don't know
    it you should learn it.
    Kelly
    There's a difference between to and too as well.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 06:24
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    What about the passage where Jesus says something to the extent of "pray in your room, not before others" and continues on, saying "if you are fasting (which could apply to other actions other than fasting), wear your usual clothes, don't put a bag on your head and cover yourself with ashes (drawing attention to yourself)." Again, this is a VERY off-the-top-of-my-head reccolection, but it gets the point across.
    What point? Neither of those are "good works" and neither are relevant to the poster's point above: " I thought the point of christianity was to spread god's word through practice."
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Apr '07 07:13
    Originally posted by Friar
    Christians do not make me sick but I was a little bit surprised by the number of Christian people blogging about the Virginia Tech massacre and rather than actually showing solidarity with the victims and the families of the victims, instead went into philosophical discussions about the nature of God, attempting to reconcile competing realities (God as all-kno ...[text shortened]... crat.blogsome.com/

Events like the V-tech shooting are what created arguments like "the Problem of Evil" in the first place. It's only natural to struggle to understand why such massive acts of evil occur.

The Kushner complaint seems unwarranted. Not every book on suffering (or even most of them) should be obligated to deal with the issue from the stance of comforting the actual sufferers. The authors have a right to pick their audience. If you wish to seek consolation in books, it's up to you to find the right ones.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree