1. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Sep '20 23:56
    From the Daily Mail:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8744095/Churchs-woke-advert-featuring-bearded-Jesus-womens-breasts-sparks-outrage.html

- The Church of Iceland's new 'woke' ad depicting Jesus has sparked outrage
    I- t featured a bearded Jesus with breasts, make up and a woman's dress
    - 'The goal was to emphasise diversity, not to hurt people or shock them,' the church said in a statement

The Church of Iceland's new 'woke' ad welcoming people to Sunday School has sparked outrage after it featured a bearded Jesus Christ with breasts, makeup and a dress.

The advert, which apparently shows Jesus shaking his 'breasts' while dancing under a rainbow, appeared on the National Church's Facebook page on September 11.

The advert has since been deleted from the Church's page, but will be depicted on buses in the Icelandic capital Reykjavik for at least another two weeks.

The Church said in a statement: 'The 2020 Assembly of the National Church regrets that the picture of Jesus in a Sunday school advertisement has hurt people. The goal was to emphasise diversity, not to hurt people or shock them.'

Petur Georg Markan, media representative for the Church of Iceland, said that is positive for Jesus Christ to appear in different forms and that the church celebrates diversity.

Markan added: 'In this one, we see a Jesus who has breasts and a beard. We're trying to embrace society as it is. We have all sorts of people and we need to train ourselves to talk about Jesus as being 'all sorts' in this context.

'Especially because it's really important that each and every person see themselves in Jesus and that we don't stagnate too much. That's the essential message. So this is okay. It's okay that Jesus has a beard and breasts.'

However, he was also aware of the online backlash, adding: 'We know that not everyone agrees Christ should appear this way, and we do of course respect that.'

Markan said that the same artist who designed the ad will begin work on a new campaign: 'Soon, we'll be introducing more personifications where, for example, you'll see Jesus making a contribution to environmental issues.'

If you want to know more about the blasphemous depiction of Christ, you can go to the link above.

I had honestly thought I really couldn't be shocked much more, considering all that has happened in 2020, but hey, got a little shock out of this one.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 00:20
    @philokalia said
    From the Daily Mail:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8744095/Churchs-woke-advert-featuring-bearded-Jesus-womens-breasts-sparks-outrage.html

[quote][b]- The Church of Iceland's new 'woke' ad depicting Jesus has sparked outrage
    I- t featured a bearded Jesus with breasts, make up and a woman's dress
    - 'The goal was to emphasise diversity, not to hurt people o ...[text shortened]... d much more, considering all that has happened in 2020, but hey, got a little shock out of this one.
    Any depiction of Christ is blasphemous. Christian churches do it all the time, photos, statues, images, Mary statues etc. These are prohibited by God.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 00:21
    @rajk999 said
    Any depiction of Christ is blasphemous. Christian churches do it all the time, photos, statues, images, Mary statues etc. These are prohibited by God.
    I fully disagree with your iconoclasm but I think that it would potentially derail the thread from more on-topic discussion.

I am actually curious if there are some liberal Christians who would defend this.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 00:322 edits
    @philokalia said
    I fully disagree with your iconoclasm but I think that it would potentially derail the thread from more on-topic discussion.

I am actually curious if there are some liberal Christians who would defend this.
    Really !! What makes it worse is the the picture of Christ which people have become accustomed to seeing is really Cesare Borgia,, the son of one of the early popes. He was allegedly guilty of murder and other criminal offences. Imagine that is the man that the Catholic church have put in peoples minds as Jesus Christ. This is the problem with images of God and Christ .. your image or statue becomes important when in fact it is nothing. A statue of Jesus with a dress or breast is NOTHING. It means NOTHING. A statue of Jesus is concrete or stone .. Its NOTHING... Get a grip of yourself ... you idolater.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 01:35
    @rajk999 said
    A statue of Jesus with a dress or breast is NOTHING. It means NOTHING. A statue of Jesus is concrete or stone .. Its NOTHING... Get a grip of yourself ... you idolater.
    You sound very upset.

But if you create another thread, we can discuss it. This would be distracting from the current thread as this really isn't about iconoclasm.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 01:36
    Here we go with the "No true Scotsman arguments"

I'm sure the Church of Iceland consider themselves true Christians too.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 01:56
    @philokalia said
    I had honestly thought I really couldn't be shocked much more, considering all that has happened in 2020, but hey, got a little shock out of this one.
    How delicate and holy your sensibilities are.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 02:21
    @divegeester said
    How delicate and holy your sensibilities are.
    You are not offended by someone depicting Jesus Christ, your savior, with breasts, a beard, and make up?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 02:34
    @philokalia said
    You are not offended by someone depicting Jesus Christ, your savior, with breasts, a beard, and make up?
    I don’t care about it. It’s not Jesus Christ. It is attention seeking crap.

I find organised religion to be a fascinating aspect of our society and I am curious about the individuals who inhabit these ancient and contemporary cloisters of BS.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 04:18
    @philokalia said
    Any chucklehead can depict Jesus Christ any way they like.

What a waste of energy it is to get offended by all the ones you do not agree with.

This is called "being easy to manipulate emotionally". It is a weakness.
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 05:16
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Any chucklehead can depict Jesus Christ any way they like.

What a waste of energy it is to get offended by all the ones you do not agree with.

This is called "being easy to manipulate emotionally". It is a weakness.
    What a matter of fact observation:

People have legal rights to do whatever they want.

And what a fun accusation -- that I am easily emotionally manipulated.

I do not know if that is the case, but I appreciate the criticism.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 05:38
    @philokalia said
    Some will be offended at the notion that Christ would
    not want to be depicted with breasts, beard and make-up.
    (Not everyone has your deep relationship with Him)
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 07:53
    @philokalia said
    And what a fun accusation -- that I am easily emotionally manipulated.
    You said you were "personally insulted" by something that happened 560 years ago to people who were members of a religion that you only joined recently. You don't think that's some kind of emotional and/or psychological weakness and/or weirdly manipulated groupthink? Gosh.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 08:281 edit
    @philokalia said
    Let me ask you something.

Is he EVERYone's Christ, or just yours?

Are you equally offended by depictions of Jesus as black?

There are Christians who are offended by the mainstream depictions of Jesus as white. Does that bother you?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Sep '20 09:46
    @philokalia said
    A statue is not Jesus Christ. If you are offended by people defacing a statue then you are worshiping stone and concrete. You are an idol worshipper.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree