1. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 19:49
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/2910447/Charles-Darwin-to-receive-apology-from-the-Church-of-England-for-rejecting-evolution.html

remind anybody of something in a similar vein?
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 20:001 edit
    Originally posted by snowinscotland
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/2910447/Charles-Darwin-to-receive-apology-from-the-Church-of-England-for-rejecting-evolution.html

There are in fact christian people who are not anti-science.
    I think a very large percentage of the christians accepts the scientific evolution as a fact.
    Then we have the rest...
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 20:45
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    There are in fact christian people who are not anti-science.
    I think a very large percentage of the christians accepts the scientific evolution as a fact.
    Then we have the rest...
    I'll gladly be counted with "the rest".
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 20:462 edits
    Originally posted by snowinscotland

Yes, it reminds me of when the Catholic Church finally acknowledged that the earth revolved around the sun (circa 1979, about ten years after man had landed on the moon) and pardoned Galileo for claiming so.
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 21:01
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Yes, it reminds me of when the Catholic Church finally acknowledged that the earth revolved around the sun (circa 1979, about ten years after man had landed on the moon) and pardoned Galileo for claiming so.
    I was actually going to say that it took the Catholic church longer to pardon Galileo.

I guess some churches realize they're wrong a bit faster than others.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 21:511 edit
    The Catholic Church actually approved of that heliocentrism in the early part of the 19th century. But even a century earlier, with Newton's proof (a proof which Galileo was unable to give), all bans on heliocentric books had been lifted.
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 22:051 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    The Catholic Church actually approved of that heliocentrism in the early part of the 19th century.
    What does it mean to say that they approved of heliocentrism? That they stopped putting people in jail for proclaiming it? How progressive, indeed!
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 22:32
    What does it mean to say that they approved of heliocentrism? That they stopped putting people in jail for proclaiming it? How progressive, indeed!
    That it was recognised as a scientific fact and compatible with Scripture.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 00:10
    So why did it take so long to pardon Galileo?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 07:57
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'll gladly be counted with "the rest".
    My boss at work tells everyone with pride that she doesn't know anything about math. "I have never in my life evaluated a square root of anything anytime. I have a calculater if I need to.", she says. She had low marks in the school, and just doesn't find anything important about math.

But in her work, she has economic responsibilities, and to motivate her manegement about the benefits for her appartement's existance, she has to bring up statistical reports. When I see these calculations, and her arguments behind them, I tell myself "If she knew some more about math and what to do with it, statisticly or otherwise, we might perhaps have a future in the organization."

She is proud to not knowing about math, but is still dependant of math for her survival.

I see some parallel...
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 08:08
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    So why did it take so long to pardon Galileo?
    Because Pope John Paul II tended to make symbolic gestures. The pardon was unnecessary and Ratzinger has been slightly more ambivalent on the Galileo affair: last year, there were protests at Roman university La Sapienza against the Pope for his alleged justification of the trial of Galileo. The Pope did not deny those allegations, and perhaps rightly so...
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 09:26
    What do they do about scientific facts that are not compatible with scripture?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 09:32
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    ..... she has to bring up statistical reports. When I see these calculations, and her arguments behind them, I tell myself "If she knew some more about math and what to do with it, statisticly or otherwise, we might perhaps have a future in the organization."
    In my experience, a large number of people who create 'statistical reports' know far more about the desired result than they do about the math required to get there correctly. Luckily for them, their managers rarely check the math and only look at the result.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 09:42
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In my experience, a large number of people who create 'statistical reports' know far more about the desired result than they do about the math required to get there correctly. Luckily for them, their managers rarely check the math and only look at the result.
    This is so true. I think that in our sciety, with very complex organizations and financial desicions, statistics (including probability) are a very important tool. With lacking understanding of the math behind it we will soon be on thin ice. (...and are already.)

But my point here is this:
    I've never heard of anyone bragged that he cannot read.
    I've heard people (my boss included) brag about they don't know anything about math.
    And I've heard YE creationists who completely dismiss the scientific progress as being false, because "Bible says otherwise."
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 09:53
    bruno was in more need to be pardoned, him being turned into a well done steak. galileo became church's biatch after saying the earth isn't revolving around the sun

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree