1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 10:03
    Originally posted by josephw
    I'll gladly be counted with "the rest".
    so what you are saying is you would rather believe what moses or whomever wrote the bible said on the belief it was inspired by god(so they say) rather than what Darwin said.

indeed you paint such a nice picture of believers who should all take your example
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 10:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What do they do about scientific facts that are not compatible with scripture?
    Then it's a miracle!
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 13:09
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Because Pope John Paul II tended to make symbolic gestures. The pardon was unnecessary and Ratzinger has been slightly more ambivalent on the Galileo affair: last year, there were protests at Roman university La Sapienza against the Pope for his alleged justification of the trial of Galileo. The Pope did not deny those allegations, and perhaps rightly so...
    And no other pope before him saw the point?

I agree that it is symbolic, after all the damage is done. Galileo is dead and there's no way he can enjoy the fact that he was pardoned.

The problem is that no other pope had the cojones to just come out and publicly acknowledge that what they did to galileo was wrong before that.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 18:48
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    And no other pope before him saw the point?
    I still don't see the point.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 20:321 edit
    The problem is that no other pope had the cojones to just come out and publicly acknowledge that what they did to galileo was wrong before that.
    I think no pope ever had any cojones worth using to anything.
    It's high time for a female pope. She would have the cojones to do something right.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 21:111 edit
    I still don't see the point.
    You don't see the point in repentance? I would see the point being to show that the church is repentant for their sins and to show the world that they acknowledge that it was wrong.

I think admitting that they were wrong might just have been what jesus would have done 😉
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 21:19
    You don't see the point in repentance? I would see the point being to show that the church is repentant for their sins and to show the world that they acknowledge that it was wrong.

I think admitting that they were wrong might just have been what jesus would have done 😉
    I don't know if repentance is actually called for. According to this encycopeadic entry, Galileo was prosecuted not for heliocentrism but for persisting in heresy without proof of his theory. Nor was he imprisoned for this scientific theory but for breaking a contract. And even the term "imprisonment" might be a misnomer.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06342b.htm
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 21:35
    I don't know if repentance is actually called for. According to this encycopeadic entry, Galileo was prosecuted not for heliocentrism but for persisting in heresy without proof of his theory.
    You don't think prosecuting people for heresy is something that calls for repentance?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 21:361 edit
    I don't know if repentance is actually called for. According to this encycopeadic entry, Galileo was prosecuted not for heliocentrism but for persisting in heresy without proof of his theory. Nor was he imprisoned for this scientific theory but for breaking a contract. And even the term "imprisonment" might be a misnomer.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06342b.htm
    He was threatened with torture, forced to recant his scientific theories, forbidden to write any more books and put under arrest until his death. Even after his death, he was denied burial in consecrated ground. And your belief is that this was done because he "broke a contract"?

And you and Ratzinger don't feel any need for an acknowledgment of wrongdoing?? Right wing Catholics are really something else.

EDIT: It would be difficult to find a more biased bunch of BS than the New Advent article cited.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 21:37
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You don't think prosecuting people for heresy is something that calls for repentance?
    Lucifershammer also believed that Galileo got what he deserved.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 21:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder

EDIT: It would be difficult to find a more biased bunch of BS than the New Advent article cited.
    The article cites tenured academics on the subject. If you disagree with the content, you ought to provide equally qualified critics to support claims that he was tortured and refused consecrated burial (which the article denies explicitly.)
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 21:56
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    No; it's not a mortal sin. I wouldn't advocate it as a sound legal practice but it's not a sin that requires repentance.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 22:18
    The article cites tenured academics on the subject. If you disagree with the content, you ought to provide equally qualified critics to support claims that he was tortured and refused consecrated burial (which the article denies explicitly.)
    I've been all through this with LH: http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=38047&page=1

page 3 on.

I said he was "threatened with torture" not tortured. That claim is verified by the documents of the trial. The Church refused his burial in consecrated ground for 75 years, heartlessly denying his daughter's request.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 22:37
    The Catholic Church is one of the most vile institutions in the history of the planet Earth. Threatening to torture or inprison someone is nothing compared to the major atrocities that this church has commited over the centuries. Galileo was fortunate that he wasn't burned at the stake or molested by a priest as a child (perhaps he was).
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Sep '08 22:43
    From Galileo's Fourth Deposition:

And he was told to tell the truth; otherwise one would have recourse to torture.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/galileo/depositions.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree