1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 07:47
    YEC assumes(among other things) that God created the world about 6000 years ago. Any isotope dating is irrelevant because God in his infinite wisdom created all things as if having history. as such, trees have rings and rocks seem to be having 4 billion years. What would the reason be god created things this way is another story. perhaps just to make fun of our puny attempts at science.

Last thursdayism assumes that the universe was not created in the big bang circa 15 billion years ago, nor by God 6000 years ago. but in fact it was created last thursday and all the people have memories of a world war II, of einstein, picasso and all the other historical figures.

To me, the logic(so to speak) of both theories is exactly the same. what do you think?
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 09:146 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    YEC assumes(among other things) that God created the world about 6000 years ago. Any isotope dating is irrelevant because God in his infinite wisdom created all things as if having history. as such, trees have rings and rocks seem to be having 4 billion years. What would the reason be god created things this way is another story. perhaps just to make fun of ...[text shortened]... res.

To me, the logic(so to speak) of both theories is exactly the same. what do you think?
    I think you are right -both theories stem from exactly the same kind of unqualified assumption that the world is made to appear to be something radically different from what it is.

One aspect of your second theory is that if it was true, then literally every historical account in the Bible would be false (even I wouldn’t believe that!) and the was never a Christ (nor Romans that nailed him to a cross).

Another aspect of your second theory is that if it was true, then literally every historical account of scientific discovery would be false. It would mean that all so called “scientific facts” where never actually discovered! -at least not any that are supposed to be discovered before last Thursday. In fact, no scientific facts would even have ever come from any conceived theory that was then subsequently tested.
    This would mean that if your second theory is true then, for all we know, the Earth could be flat and not round and shaped like a laughing monkey doing finger gestures -it is just that few people have noticed this yet from last Thursday and anyone that has has either keep it to themselves in fear of being ridiculed or foolishly haven’t kept it to themselves and HAVE been ridiculed.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 09:27
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton

This would mean that if your second theory is true then, for all we know, the Earth could be flat and not round and shaped like a laughing monkey doing finger gestures
    Would it matter terribly much if it was?
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 09:352 edits
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Perhaps not much. But any astronauts looking back on the Earth would be continually slapping themselves on the face to try and bring themselves back from cuckoo-land and back to their senses and reallity.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 09:38
    interesting point. how meaningful are our lives if all beyond last thursday is a lie, or simply information fed to our brain. if all we know is what the senses tell us, how can we be sure the past happened. how can we be proud of the sidney opera house if it wasn't humans who built it but god did it last thursday.

and according to the last thursdayism, the universe is recreated every thursday. so how meaningful a life would be if our past is a lie and everything we accomplish in a week will be destroyed and recreated by god and next universe will have memory of creating last week and the weeks before.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 09:58
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Perhaps not much. But any astronauts looking back on the Earth would be continually slapping themselves on the face to try and bring themselves back from cuckoo-land and back to their senses and reallity.
    Woe to the astronauts.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 09:58
    Tonight, in Swedish television channel 6, they send Matrix.

When I saw this movie for the first time, I went to bed, and had nightmares, was very confused when I woke again. It took several days before I felt normal again.

Matrix is a existential horror movie.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

True. Whenever I watch it, I think I'm waiting for a train.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:29

but it is fun debating. although it is the same kind of philosophy that "is my red red to you? or my red is your blue?" is: doesn't get you anywhere. when we build our reality by the information given to us by the senses what use is there to question the realness of that reality?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:46
    but it is fun debating. although it is the same kind of philosophy that "is my red red to you? or my red is your blue?" is: doesn't get you anywhere. when we build our reality by the information given to us by the senses what use is there to question the realness of that reality?
    It's very fun debating it. But I think there are alot of people at mental institutions that actually are questionning their awareness of their reality.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:52
    It's very fun debating it. But I think there are alot of people at mental institutions that actually are questionning their awareness of their reality.
    🙄 maybe that is where were heading
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 10:58
    Which is more horrifying -- The Matrix or Groundhog Day?
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 11:00
    It's more likely that they're locked up precisely because they don't question their awareness -- their delusions are real to them. Well, that's often the case for paranoid schizophrenics, at least.

Questioning is healthy.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:13
    Which is more horrifying -- The Matrix or Groundhog Day?
    my opinion is that matrix is more scary.

if i remember correctly, the hero in groundhog day escapes the time loop through his actions(even if it took him a while to get it right), ie the system had an end condition from the beginning, you just had to fulfill it.

to get out of the matrix requires outside intervention meaning you are not in control of your destiny, morpheus must show it to you.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:27
    Unpopular as it may sound, I actually think the first Matrix is a hell of a sci-fi movie. The sequels are utter crap, though.

That said, the plot itself is not particularly original.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree