1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:46
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I've met no South African YECs in real life, but I've met quite a few on this site. Precise numbers are hard to come by because at least one was a multiple accounter. I'm inclined to believe that they are all manifestations of Palmer Eldritch.
    It's interesting how the internet, a place where one can find virtually the whole spectrum of possible opinions, has the power to become a tool for the entrenchment of viewpoints (not to mention conspiracy theories).

People like to read those who have similar views and, in the internet, you can find a lot of those, regardless of how unrealistic your views are...

/musing
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Choosing to deny the obvious is remarkably common place. I have tried raising many arguments with YECs, my favourite one being the existence of stars. Everything we know about stars makes it almost undeniable that either they dont really exist, or the light took more than 6000 years to get from the vast majority of them to us. I am yet to meet one single ...[text shortened]... him, and futher, why did he then contradict himself by trying to tell us otherwise in the Bible.
    my opinion to that is that mankind would have not been able to understand the science. and why would god give us intelligence and then give us the answers to everything? also it should be argued that the bible is not a science treaty, just a collection of guidelines, not all of them given by god and not all of them inspired word for word by god. in genesis, god creates the plants before the sun.why would he do that. it says that he divided light from the dark and called the light day and the dark night. but he didn't create the sun until later. so wtf?

god works in mysterious ways. so if he says the earth was created 6000 years ago and then gives us the intelligence to discover a different number what must we do? the yecs choose to believe gods words and think blind obedience makes him happy. i believe that it doesn't and it is a sign of our maturity as a species to question the universe. i don't think a parent gets mad when the child says "daddy, santa cannot be real, you just made that up".

no longer are we children to blindly believe everything what is being told to us. and to look for proofs, no matter how far fetched, to support our childish beliefs. god is testing us and i believe the YECS are failing the test.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:55
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I've met no South African YECs in real life, but I've met quite a few on this site. Precise numbers are hard to come by because at least one was a multiple accounter. I'm inclined to believe that they are all manifestations of Palmer Eldritch.
    didn't read it, is it good?
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:58
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    didn't read it, is it good?
    If you like one Dick work you like them all.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 11:12
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    well, time to start a new universe.
    I haven't felt anything yet... 😳

At what time would the universe be created? Anyone who knows?
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 11:25
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Oh you missed it! Kasparov isn 't anymore the absolute master of preparation🙂
  7. The sky
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 11:26
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

It will be created next Tuesday at 7:14 GMT.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 11:26
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    This is the waiting room. Charlize will attend to you shortly.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 11:29
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's interesting how the internet, a place where one can find virtually the whole spectrum of possible opinions, has the power to become a tool for the entrenchment of viewpoints (not to mention conspiracy theories).
    'Entrenchment', c'est le bon mot.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 12:20
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Oh, I missed it - again... 😠
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '08 08:32
    I think god is just like a big mean kid and we're like an anthill.
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 21:10
    Think again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree