1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:30
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Unpopular as it may sound, I actually think the first Matrix is a hell of a sci-fi movie. The sequels are utter crap, though.

That said, the plot itself is not particularly original.
    The Matrix is just fine, as long as you don't drag Lacan into it.
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:37
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    YEC assumes(among other things) that God created the world about 6000 years ago. Any isotope dating is irrelevant because God in his infinite wisdom created all things as if having history. as such, trees have rings and rocks seem to be having 4 billion years. What would the reason be god created things this way is another story. perhaps just to make fun of ...[text shortened]... res.

To me, the logic(so to speak) of both theories is exactly the same. what do you think?
    Come to think of it . . . I don't remember anything before last Thursday!
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:38
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    The Matrix is just fine, as long as you don't drag Lacan into it.
    Wasn't Baudrillard the one dragged into it?
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:40
    interesting point. how meaningful are our lives if all beyond last thursday is a lie, or simply information fed to our brain. if all we know is what the senses tell us, how can we be sure the past happened. how can we be proud of the sidney opera house if it wasn't humans who built it but god did it last thursday.

and according to the last thursdayism, ...[text shortened]... recreated by god and next universe will have memory of creating last week and the weeks before.
    Just have to be proud of how you live each week.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:45
    Originally posted by telerion
    ... I don't remember anything after next Thursday ...
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 12:45
    Wasn't Baudrillard the one dragged into it?
    His work partly inspired the film but he didn't say much about it.

Lacanians write like this:
    http://www.lacan.com/zizekloaded.htm

I'm curious to know what you think.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 13:041 edit

I don't know Lacan so I can't really comment.

Most exercises like that one, however, tend to cherry pick to support certain views. Focusing on matching specific details and willfully ignoring the 'bigger picture' so to speak. The Matrix throws everything in but the kitchen sink, so if you cherry pick you can almost justify anything.

Which is interesting in itself, but still...
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 13:07
    Originally posted by telerion
    lay off the booze man 😀
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 13:20

i agree with the author's comparisson between the matrix and the Rorschach test. "Vat do you zee?". And yes there are inconsistencies in the matrix, statements insufficiently explained and/or contradicted elsewhere. But i believe matrix represents more than one philosophy, attempts at defining reality or part of it. And like all things, there is no absolute truth. Just a nice debate at a joint smoking club.
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 14:46
    Hi all;

I liked "The Matrix" but not the next two boring sequels; kinda expecting more from the dualistic approach "reality/ fantasy", where fantasy itself seemed to be equal to a unique reality/ non reality situation. Instead of a smart continuation exploiting the good ole ontological issue, the Wachowskis produced two worthless movies -but money talks. And I agree with that author, Zizek.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 14:55
    Originally posted by black beetle
    And I agree with that author, Zizek.
    In what do you agree with him?
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 15:08
    In what do you agree with him?
    I mean that the Matrix looks like the lacanian big Other;
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 20:411 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    I mean that the Matrix looks like the lacanian big Other;
    Toe-jam also resembles the Lacanian Big Other. What doesn't?

I find it hard to believe that a self-avowed empiricist like yourself would lend any credence to that charlatan, that actor, Lacan.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Aug '08 21:081 edit
    YEC assumes(among other things) that God created the world about 6000 years ago. Any isotope dating is irrelevant because God in his infinite wisdom created all things as if having history. as such, trees have rings and rocks seem to be having 4 billion years. What would the reason be god created things this way is another story. perhaps just to make fun of ...[text shortened]... res.

To me, the logic(so to speak) of both theories is exactly the same. what do you think?
    I think you are using a strawman.

I think you will be very hard pressed to find a YEC that thinks (or admits as such) that God created the world in such a way as to look like it is older than it really is. Most YECs I have discussed it with claim that there is plenty of evidence for a young earth and very little evidence for an old earth (and evolution etc).

Of course we could play the same game with all Christians and point out that God in his infinite wisdom made it look as if there is no God, making Christianity virtually indistinguishable from any other religion that believes in supernatural beings as none of them have any real evidence whatsoever. To me the logic of such religions is the same. What do you think?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '08 08:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think you are using a strawman.

I think you will be very hard pressed to find a YEC that thinks (or admits as such) that God created the world in such a way as to look like it is older than it really is. Most YECs I have discussed it with claim that there is plenty of evidence for a young earth and very little evidence for an old earth (and evolution ...[text shortened]... any real evidence whatsoever. To me the logic of such religions is the same. What do you think?
    i agree. my argument that the logic is similar is based on YECs who actually consider the isotope dating and other proofs the real scientists throw at them. most of them like you said flat out dismiss them.

and yes, common sense tells us that we shouldn't do any action that depends solely on the existence of God for its success.
    however, like last thrusdayism, it isn't provable. the god problem is as provable as "are we in the matrix or is this real, real?"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree