1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 23:37
    Let's say two committed homosexual partners from a state within the US that recognizes same-sex
    unions adopted a child. Let's say they've lived together for 10 years and the child is say 5.

Let's say one of the couple becomes 'saved' in the fundamentalist sense -- you know finds Jesus, confesses
    Him as Lord and God and the whole nine yards. Let's say he joins a conservative church.

What would be expected of him? Would he be expected to abandon his family? Live a celibate life
    to the dissatisfaction of his partner, likely resulting in the dissolution of their union?

Nemesio
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 00:18
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Let's say two committed homosexual partners from a state within the US that recognizes same-sex
    unions adopted a child. Let's say they've lived together for 10 years and the child is say 5.

Let's say one of the couple becomes 'saved' in the fundamentalist sense -- you know finds Jesus, confesses
    Him as Lord and God and the whole nine yards. Let's say ...[text shortened]... tisfaction of his partner, likely resulting in the dissolution of their union?

Nemesio
    I think it would be pretty cool if he gave graphic testimonies in church about anal sex and all the "perverted" things they used to do. You never hear about that in church. You just hear that it is an abomination. Shouldn't we be able to hear the truth as it is suppose to set us free.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 06:10
    No takers to this scenario?

Nemesio
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 06:28
    What would be expected of him? Would he be expected to abandon his family? Live a celibate life to the dissatisfaction of his partner, likely resulting in the dissolution of their union?
    Its not clear whether you are asking "what is right" or "what will happen".

The answer to what will happen is one of two things:
    1. They wont let him join the church in the first place.
    2. They will expect him to leave his partner and try to convert his child.

I know many Christians who think that its OK for a Christian to divorce a non Christian spouse.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 11:581 edit
    No takers to this scenario?

Nemesio
    The church should enforce the same rule that applies to a member living with a woman and not being married. I think in most cases they do nothing. The purpose of a church is to encourage members to improve their lives spiritually over time, sometimes it happens immediately and sometimes takes 20 years. When the church starts to impose judgement and expel members, they run the risk of condemning someone Christ would accept, like the case of the adulterous woman about to be stoned.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 12:291 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The church should enforce the same rule that applies to a member living with a woman and not being married. I think in most cases they do nothing. The purpose of a church is to encourage members to improve their lives spiritually over time, sometimes it happens immediately and sometimes takes 20 years. When the church starts to impose judgement and expel mem ...[text shortened]... ondemning someone Christ would accept, like the case of the adulterous woman about to be stoned.
    Like the adulterous woman about to be stoned? What did Christ then say to the woman in question? Was it not, "Go and sin NO more"? Was Christ negating the Mosaic law altogether and implying that it was OK to commit adultery?

What do you think should be done if there were an adulterous woman within the church who contniued her sinful ways? Anyone?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 12:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    Like the adulterous woman about to be stoned? What did Christ then say to the woman in question? Was it not, "Go and sin NO more"?

What do you think should be done if there were an adulterous woman within the church who contniued her sinful ways? Anyone?
    I knew that was coming. You keep saying 'go and sin no more'.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 12:38
    Luke 6: 36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.
    37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 12:55
    Obviously you must stone her as Christ was not negating the Mosaic law.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 12:58
    Like the adulterous woman about to be stoned? What did Christ then say to the woman in question? Was it not, "Go and sin NO more"? Was Christ negating the Mosaic law altogether and implying that it was OK to commit adultery?

What in your opinion should the church do to a woman who is married to a very sinful man (an atheist, or known criminal for example). Should she be encouraged to leave her husband?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 13:31
    So Whodey, what do you think should be done with members who violate greater commandments than 'thou shall not commit adultery' ?

Matt 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Christ explained in detail His interpretation of 'love thy neighbour as thyself'. In the parable of the good samaritan and in Matt 25:
    34 ................Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    35 For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
    38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
    39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

The problem with organised religion is that they have a fixation with sexuality - adultery, fornication, homosexuality. Sexual desire was created by God in all of us and we need to have that desire satisfied, just like we need food and water. Christ clearly understands that need, hence he placed little emphasis on it and far more on feeding the poor and hungry and helping the needy.
  12. Illinois
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 18:01
    The church should enforce the same rule that applies to a member living with a woman and not being married. I think in most cases they do nothing. The purpose of a church is to encourage members to improve their lives spiritually over time, sometimes it happens immediately and sometimes takes 20 years. When the church starts to impose judgement and expel mem ...[text shortened]... ondemning someone Christ would accept, like the case of the adulterous woman about to be stoned.
    Wow, I actually agree with you. I'm floored. Good post. 🙂
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 20:33
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Wow, I actually agree with you. I'm floored. Good post. 🙂
    Thanks. I just try to say what I think Christ's opinion might be. So no credit due to me really.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 01:24
    I knew that was coming. You keep saying 'go and sin no more'.
    Should I not? After all, Christ said it. You see both the Mosaic law and Christ's example of grace are both ways of erradicating sin. Therefore, to deny the purpose for both is a mistake.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 01:261 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Obviously you must stone her as Christ was not negating the Mosaic law.
    Christ did not dispute their right to do so under the Mosaic law did he? He was simply showing them a better way of destroying the sin without destroying the sinner. Through the power of Christ to break the chains of sin in our lives this is possible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree