1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 May '19 15:31
    @suzianne said
    Why do you persist in being angry at people and spilling your toxic angst all over every thread you take part in?

You start a thread and people try to communicate. You call them names. How is this congenial, adult conversation? Perhaps you should stop torturing yourself and just let it go.
    What do you know? The dumb ass bitch strikes again.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 May '19 16:18
    Galatians 1

I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!

Bold was mine to emphasise that the Bible warns against the angel that brought the distorted gospel, if an angel actually led Joseph Smith.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 May '19 20:56
    @eladar said
    Galatians 1

I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we,[b] or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accu ...[text shortened]... le warns against the angel that brought the distorted gospel, if an angel actually led Joseph Smith.
    A straight answer; well done. That wasn't so difficult after all, was it? As for boldness ...

"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness, considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted." [Gal. 6:1 KJV]

One thought leads to another, so I started a tangential thread (about the trustworthiness of angels). Feel free to contribute.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 May '19 22:36
    @moonbus

Lol I have been the only person ever giving direct answers. You are a in your own world..
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '19 05:21
    @eladar said
    That was not the message I was trying to send but you saw what you wanted to see. You asked for more info, I gave it to you. You are welcome.
    What is your “message” here in this thread then?
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 May '19 06:24
    @eladar said
    Galatians 1

I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we,[b] or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accu ...[text shortened]... le warns against the angel that brought the distorted gospel, if an angel actually led Joseph Smith.
    This is also directly applicable to Islam where we have (allegedly) the Angel Gabriel giving the Koran to Mohammed.

They say that the first time that Mohammed received the Koran, he ran out of the presence of the false Gabriel, thinking that it was a demon... Only after he became comfortable with the idea did he go back to the cave and receive the text from Gabriel (forgive me if I am botching some of this).

But, in the words of dear spiritually enlightened friend... he was right the first time.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '19 06:53
    @philokalia said
    This is also directly applicable to Islam where we have (allegedly) the Angel Gabriel giving the Koran to Mohammed.
    Christianity also has other take-it-or-leave-it/don't believe it at-your-supposed-peril moments - not unlike Gabriel giving the Koran to Muhammed - like Paul's decision to write a huge chunk of the NT after what he claimed was a vision, and also Revelation being tacked on the end after someone or other supposedly had a dream or a vision and wrote it down. Paul. the writer-of-Revelation, Muhammed, Joseph Smith. They all have something in common.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 May '19 08:02
    @fmf said
    Christianity also has other take-it-or-leave-it/don't believe it at-your-supposed-peril moments - not unlike Gabriel giving the Koran to Muhammed - like Paul's decision to write a huge chunk of the NT after what he claimed was a vision, and also Revelation being tacked on the end after someone or other supposedly had a dream or a vision and wrote it down. Paul. the writer-of-Revelation, Muhammed, Joseph Smith. They all have something in common.
    And then there is the atheist position:

Mormonism, Islam, and Christianity can all be treated as identical phenomena in spite of the fact that they are all qualitatively different in their claims and relations to the truth.

If you turn the nihilist sword upon the scientists and politicians and even yourself, you'll get the same result...

Only, I imagine, that there is far more to the famous prophets and religious figures of yesteryear than there is to the armies of neckbeards on the internet wolfing down Sam Harris videos and batting at balls of theological yarn like kittens.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '19 08:07
    @philokalia said
    Mormonism, Islam, and Christianity can all be treated as identical phenomena in spite of the fact that they are all qualitatively different in their claims and relations to the truth.
    They are all identical in that they are based on unverifiable claims that a creator God has revealed a scheme of instructions - including rewards and punishments - which renders moot the fact that they are all qualitatively different in their claims and relations to the supposed truth.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '19 08:121 edit
    @philokalia said
    Only, I imagine, that there is far more to the famous prophets and religious figures of yesteryear than there is to the armies of neckbeards on the internet wolfing down Sam Harris videos and batting at balls of theological yarn like kittens.
    The existence of "famous prophets and religious figures of yesteryear" does not alter the fact that Paul, Mr Somebody who wrote Revelation, Muhammed, and Joseph Smith were all involved in moments and alleged events around which their admirers or subscribers believe pretty much all truth about supernatural things revolves, to the exclusion of each other. Seems manmade to its core and not divine at all.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '19 08:19
    @philokalia said
    If you turn the nihilist sword upon the scientists and politicians and even yourself, you'll get the same result...
    I don't see how it's "nihilist". Do I believe that the dead Jesus dictated the content of the Book of Revelation to someone? No, I don't. Do I believe the Muhammed in the cave story? No, I don't. Do I believe what Joseph Smith is said to have 'revealed'? No.

Nihilism is the rejection of all religious and moral principles and is the belief that life is meaningless. I don't believe life is meaningless. And I don't reject all religious and moral principles.

You keep using the word "nihilist" when you talk to me but you do so as if you either don't know what it means or as if you can't be bothered to read my posts on morality or what I believe regarding the meaning that life has.
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 May '19 10:29
    @fmf said
    They are all identical in that they are based on unverifiable claims that a creator God has revealed a scheme of instructions - including rewards and punishments - which renders moot the fact that they are all qualitatively different in their claims and relations to the supposed truth.
    First off, congratulations -- it took a while for me to see it again, but finally seeing that 5 likes in the middle of a big thread in 1-2 hours when it's the middle of the night in the USA numbers again. How you pull it off, I'll never know.

Big ups.

---

Are they based off of unverifiable claims? Of course, aspects of them are, but the common argument is that there was a whole series of miracles surrounding the life and testimony of Jesus Christ that were witnessed by thousands that became his loyal followers.

This is not exactly how it happened with the Prophet Mohammed. I believe the only claim to a miracle is the Koran itself as the miracle, though there are some legends about Mohammed's birth and death.

The Koran and the Bible include what some would argue are errors. In fact, I would agree with the assessment that the Koran is not correct -- the misattribution of the Trinity as Jesus, God, and Mary is what I like to point to, just likes Dr. James White.

But I understand that it is more complicated than that...

Whereas, Joseph Smith was a known conman and the Book of Mormon has many errors in it that are very huge categorical errors, such as implying that there were horses in the New World when there were none and there has been no archaeological evidence of it.

... Not only this, but the messages of these religions can be seen as likewise very different from one another.

Now, why you would equate them is beyond me -- I guess it's just being lazy, which I actually don't get: you have boasted of your insane post count before. I'd consider dedicating some of that time to crafting large, masterful, and exhaustive posts on the topic.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    21 May '19 10:30
    @fmf said
    I don't see how it's "nihilist". Do I believe that the dead Jesus dictated the content of the Book of Revelation to someone? No, I don't. Do I believe the Muhammed in the cave story? No, I don't. Do I believe what Joseph Smith is said to have 'revealed'? No.

Nihilism is the rejection of all religious and moral principles and is the belief that life is meaningless. I don't bel ...[text shortened]... an't be bothered to read my posts on morality or what I believe regarding the meaning that life has.
    So you say that you do not believe that life is meaningless.

Then what is the meaning within life?

What is life progressing towrds?

Let me guess: it's just all about the subjective meaning that you can muster up to ascribe to life, and that is the stand-in for real meaning?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '19 10:41
    @philokalia said
    First off, congratulations -- it took a while for me to see it again, but finally seeing that 5 likes in the middle of a big thread in 1-2 hours when it's the middle of the night in the USA numbers again. How you pull it off, I'll never know.
    I gather that I am a valued and respected poster.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 May '19 10:43
    @philokalia said
    So you say that you do not believe that life is meaningless.

Then what is the meaning within life?
    See the long, long and numerous threads where it has been discussed in detail and where I have shared my views cogently and with candour. I am not typing it out again just for you. Suffice to say, I am not a "nihilist".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree