Consciousness & Objectivity

Consciousness & Objectivity

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
20 Feb 22

Human consciousness continues to be mystery and its exact nature continues to elude scientists, philosophers and theologians.

How can the physical and human world translate into something as intimate ~ and as seemingly inexplicable ~ as a first-person experience?

Can we say anything objective about human consciousness?

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
20 Feb 22
2 edits

@fmf said
Human consciousness continues to be mystery and its exact nature continues to elude scientists, philosophers and theologians.

How can the physical and human world translate into something as intimate ~ and as seemingly inexplicable ~ as a first-person experience?

IMO The short answer is "No" Human consciousness is not something that can be measured. Since this is the spirituality section, I'll add a quote from one of my bible study teachers of the past: "It is only through life and consciousnesses that matter can begin to understand its creator"

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 Feb 22

@fmf said

What is unconsciousness?

Consciousness is the awareness of the existence of body, mind and spirit. Could all be one and the same.

Cogito, ergo sum.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Feb 22

@josephw said
What is unconsciousness?

Consciousness is the awareness of the existence of body, mind and spirit. Could all be one and the same.

Cogito, ergo sum.
Well, of the body and mind, anyway.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
Well, of the body and mind, anyway.
The difficult thing about this type of question is how we start when pondering the answer. Clearly we have bodies completely material but what we are talking about is not material.

So can we mix the proper chemicals in the right combination in the right order in the right environment and get a thinking individual? If something more is required for this than all time ever in every possible combination will never get there, no matter how long we study it.

It would like understanding a book while only seeing the chemical makeup of paper and ink.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
The difficult thing about this type of question is how we start when pondering the answer. Clearly we have bodies completely material but what we are talking about is not material.

So can we mix the proper chemicals in the right combination in the right order in the right environment and get a thinking individual? If something more is required for this than all time ever ...[text shortened]... dy it.

It would like understanding a book while only seeing the chemical makeup of paper and ink.
I'm not saying there isn't a soul or spirit - I'm not convinced there is, but that's beside the point - what I'm saying is that consciousness does not involve an awareness of it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
I'm not saying there isn't a soul or spirit - I'm not convinced there is, but that's beside the point - what I'm saying is that consciousness does not involve an awareness of it.
Why do you think that, doesn’t being aware mean being consciously aware of everything?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Why do you think that, doesn’t being aware mean being consciously aware of everything?
If we were consciously aware of our soul or spirit, there would be no argument as to whether or not we have one.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
If we were consciously aware of our soul or spirit, there would be no argument as to whether or not we have one.
Having consciousness does not necessitate that it is aware of everything about what we are.

Five physical senses, one consciousness. Perception and perspective.

Our consciousness gives us awareness of our selves and the environment we exist in, materially.

The spirit gives us consciousness of God. It's what distinguishes us from plants and animals.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Feb 22

@josephw said
Having consciousness does not necessitate that it is aware of everything about what we are.

Five physical senses, one consciousness. Perception and perspective.

Our consciousness gives us awareness of our selves and the environment we exist in, materially.

The spirit gives us consciousness of God. It's what distinguishes us from plants and animals.
No, what gives you consciousness of god is the bible. You claimed that "consciousness is the awareness of the existence of body, mind and spirit". I am conscious, however I don't feel any awareness of 'spirit'. I feel an awareness of my mind and body.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
You are aware of who you are, if that isn’t your soul, your personhood, your being what is it?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
No, what gives you consciousness of god is the bible. You claimed that "consciousness is the awareness of the existence of body, mind and spirit". I am conscious, however I don't feel any awareness of 'spirit'. I feel an awareness of my mind and body.
No, the Bible is a book, or more precisely sixty six books. The reality of God is not confined to just that book and those who believe in it. If there were no Bible the reality of God would still be true even if none of us were also not here. Our faith in God rests in God, not just because the Bible says so. The written Word brings clarity but the Spirit of God is something we can taste and see that the Lord is good.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
No, the Bible is a book, or more precisely sixty six books. The reality of God is not confined to just that book and those who believe in it. If there were no Bible the reality of God would still be true even if none of us were also not here. Our faith in God rests in God, not just because the Bible says so. The written Word brings clarity but the Spirit of God is something we can taste and see that the Lord is good.
That's one opinion. Another is that your concept of god comes directly from the mythology detailed in the bible. If you'd never read it, never been taught it's content, you wouldn't know anything about your god. There's no 'reality' to your god without the books which give you that reality.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
You are aware of who you are, if that isn’t your soul, your personhood, your being what is it?
Who I am is my mind and my body. There may or may not be a 'spirit' or 'soul' involved, but if there is, I am not able to perceive it directly. Can you?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Feb 22
1 edit

@avalanchethecat

Who I am is my mind and my body. There may or may not be a 'spirit' or 'soul' involved, but if there is, I am not able to perceive it directly. Can you?

Most of us cannot at first.
Many sense that there is something missing to them.
But they do not know what it is.

Others deal with the matter by insisting there is nothing missing to them.

But to be able to develop the skill of discerning the spirit from the soul and the soul from the spirit requires that you allow the living word of God to penetrate and help you discern.