1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    2926
    20 Apr '07 02:56
    could it be that the reason there is contradictions is because the bible gives you choices? and that free will really does exist?
  2. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    20 Apr '07 03:01
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    could it be that the reason there is contradictions is because the bible gives you choices? and that free will really does exist?
    Well, think of it this way. Humans have differing viewpoints, and humans wrote the books of the Bible. Therefore.....
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    2926
    20 Apr '07 03:10
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Well, think of it this way. Humans have differing viewpoints, and humans wrote the books of the Bible. Therefore.....
    pick and choose the parts you like and follow those
  4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    19249
    20 Apr '07 03:12
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    pick and choose the parts you like and follow those
    No. I was going to say that those who wrote the bible were humans who had different opinions, so the bible was bound to have contradicting opinions.

    And, btw, at least in my opinion, you shouldn't just pick and choose (even though it's hard!)...you should wrestle out ideas. Some parts are more important, but that doesn't mean the others are worthless...
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    2926
    20 Apr '07 03:37
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    No. I was going to say that those who wrote the bible were humans who had different opinions, so the bible was bound to have contradicting opinions.

    And, btw, at least in my opinion, you shouldn't just pick and choose (even though it's hard!)...you should wrestle out ideas. Some parts are more important, but that doesn't mean the others are worthless...
    i just dont listen to any of it
  6. RDU NC
    Joined
    30 Mar '06
    Moves
    349
    20 Apr '07 22:501 edit
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    No. I was going to say that those who wrote the bible were humans who had different opinions, so the bible was bound to have contradicting opinions.

    And, btw, at least in my opinion, you shouldn't just pick and choose (even though it's hard!)...you should wrestle out ideas. Some parts are more important, but that doesn't mean the others are worthless...
    Based on what do you "pick and choose?"

    According to the Bible, it is all inspired by God. Is that part one of the portions you choose to leave out?

    I'd understand if you chose to not believe any of it accept for the parts that you find elsewhere in the world or other religious scriptures. But, if that's the case than you can do away with the Bible as a whole. Why keep any of it if you only want to keep that parts that are easy for you or shed your situation in a shiney, happy light?
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    20 Apr '07 23:01
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    could it be that the reason there is contradictions is because the bible gives you choices? and that free will really does exist?
    You read my mind even before I read your post.
  8. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Joined
    23 Dec '05
    Moves
    28199
    20 Apr '07 23:03
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    Based on what do you "pick and choose?"

    According to the Bible, it is all inspired by God. Is that part one of the portions you choose to leave out?

    I'd understand if you chose to not believe any of it accept for the parts that you find elsewhere in the world or other religious scriptures. But, if that's the case than you can do away with the Bible as ...[text shortened]... nt to keep that parts that are easy for you or shed your situation in a shiney, happy light?
    Can you provide a chapter and verse in which the Bible says that it is all inspired by God?
  9. RDU NC
    Joined
    30 Mar '06
    Moves
    349
    20 Apr '07 23:29
    Originally posted by reader1107
    Can you provide a chapter and verse in which the Bible says that it is all inspired by God?
    In Paul's letter to Timothy, he wrote, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in rightesouness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." Timothy 3:16-17.

    There are disagreements on the words "all scripture." Since I must be faithful to the text as a Christian, I must state that the Greek phrase could be translated "All writings." But according to the rest of the canon, this is clearly talking about the words found in the Bible.

    I hope this helps. And, please, do not take my word for it. Look it up for yourself to see what the passage as a whole says. So much bad doctrine has crept into the church by taking verses and words out of context.
  10. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Joined
    23 Dec '05
    Moves
    28199
    21 Apr '07 00:15
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    In Paul's letter to Timothy, he wrote, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in rightesouness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." Timothy 3:16-17.

    There are disagreements on the words "all scripture." Since I must be faithful t ...[text shortened]... So much bad doctrine has crept into the church by taking verses and words out of context.
    But wouldn't he be talking about the Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures, as the New Testament/Christian Scriptures weren't written yet? And does Paul's saying it make it a fact somehow?
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Joined
    19 Jan '04
    Moves
    22131
    21 Apr '07 00:44
    Originally posted by reader1107
    But wouldn't he be talking about the Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures, as the New Testament/Christian Scriptures weren't written yet? And does Paul's saying it make it a fact somehow?
    I agree; I did this some time back—

    NRS 2 Timothy 3:14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it,
    15 and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
    16 All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
    17 so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

    ______________________________

    This appears to be the only NT text in which the word theopneustos, inspired or God-breathed, is found (or, at least, that I could find).

    First of all, the ancient Greek texts have no punctuation, or differentiation between capital and lower-case letters, so the meaning partly derives from how it is punctuated.

    Secondly, there is no verb at all in verse 16 in the Greek.

    Thirdly, the word graphe in verse 16 just means “writing” (as Big Mac noted). (The verb form is grapho; the noun occurs some 33 times in the NT, where it refers to OT texts.)

    Fourthly, graphe refers back to iera grammata, “sacred learning,” in verse 15—learning which the reader has known “from childhood,” and can only refer to the Torah.

    Therefore, verse 16 should be read as a continuation from 14 and 15—in a single continuous sentence, viz.—

    “15 and how from childhood you [2nd person singular: i.e., Timothy] have known the sacred teachings [learnings, letters of the alphabet] that are able to instruct you for salvation through confidence (pisteos) in Christ Jesus,

    16 all writing God-inspired and useful...etc., etc.”

    It seems clear that this passage refers to the Hebrew scriptures.

    _________________________________

    On the other hand, using the Bible as it’s own authority for being divinely inspired (which itself can mean a number of things) can get circular awfully fast: “I believe the Bible is divinely inspired because it says it is.” “Yes, but why do you believe when it says that?” “ Because it’s divinely inspired... etc., etc.”

    I’ll drop it there...
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    21 Apr '07 00:54
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I agree; I did this some time back—

    NRS 2 Timothy 3:14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it,
    15 and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
    16 All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for te ...[text shortened]... eve when it says that?” “ Because it’s divinely inspired... etc., etc.”

    I’ll drop it there...
    I went to see this old guy the other day. A really nice guy and he was talking about various TV programs that have raised all kinds of questions about Jesus and the scriptures. He said that really didn't like those programs because "it's all in the Bible." Then he went on to say that they get you to question the language of the Bible which he didn't appreciate either. So I said to him, "you know Jesus didn't speak King James English, don't you?" He looked at me and said, "You've got to be kidding me. Are you sure?"

    Keep preaching, Stephen. You've got a long road to hoe as they say.
  13. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    21 Apr '07 01:01
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I went to see this old guy the other day. A really nice guy and he was talking about various TV programs that have raised all kinds of questions about Jesus and the scriptures. He said that really didn't like those programs because "it's all in the Bible." Then he went on to say that they get you to question the language of the Bible which he didn't ap ...[text shortened]... n't you?" He looked at me and said, "You've got to be kidding me. Are you sure?"
    LMAO! You should have told the guy you were just pulling his leg.
  14. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    21 Apr '07 01:11
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    could it be that the reason there is contradictions is because the bible gives you choices? and that free will really does exist?
    Believe it or not there are no contradictions in the bible.
  15. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Joined
    23 Dec '05
    Moves
    28199
    21 Apr '07 01:14
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I went to see this old guy the other day. A really nice guy and he was talking about various TV programs that have raised all kinds of questions about Jesus and the scriptures. He said that really didn't like those programs because "it's all in the Bible." Then he went on to say that they get you to question the language of the Bible which he didn't ap ...[text shortened]... ou sure?"

    Keep preaching, Stephen. You've got a long road to hoe as they say.
    Sure, and next you're going to say that the Holy Trinity isn't really two men and a bird. I'm crushed.
Back to Top