1. Joined
    07 Feb '03
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 11:44
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    could it be that the reason there is contradictions is because the bible gives you choices? and that free will really does exist?
    if free will does exist (which was a phallacy created by Christianity) why does this apparent free will have to pertain to the Christian belief that there is some ulitmate truth, there is only one truth, a truth that in turn eminates hierarchical binaries such as good vs. evil, true vs. untrue etc ????? isn't it funny that in these binaries pertaining to a Western metaphysics - that is the metaphysical theology itself - decides what is good and what is evil, and isn't it funny that they always retain the good and push evil onto EVERYONE who disagrees with them, Christianity is a very democratic philosophy ISN'T IT?!
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 13:31
    Originally posted by vistesd
    EDIT TO PRIOR POST: There ought to be enough hints here for you to see that the only reasons for the contradiction you referenced in your first post to remain is if you insist upon it. If God “punishes” for any other reason than the one I gave, or if the “punishment” is eternal, so that there is no hope for it contributing to the well-being of the beloved— ...[text shortened]... refuses to heal the sinfulness, in which case God is not agape.

Those are the choices.
    But Christ said that one must be born again or at least their spriitual man to be born again and stressed the importance for this happening before one dies. Spiritual death occurred because of sin, however, one can have their spiritual being awakened to life once again. Christ said that this is why he came into the world so that through him this might be possible. So what if ones fate is sealed once they are left with only their spiritual being left in tact? When ones body dies that spiritual man is either living or dead, hence one either lives beyond this life or dies after this life. Biblically speaking, for example, there is no hope for other fallen beings who are only spiritual in nature such as Lucifer and his angelic followers. For me it has less to do with what is desired than it does what is possible. Perhaps the spiritual realm is another demension in which time does not exist or elements within that deminsion that we cannot fathom that prohibits one from being redemed or healed as you say?
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 18:13
    Originally posted by Serendipity
    if free will does exist (which was a phallacy created by Christianity) why does this apparent free will have to pertain to the Christian belief that there is some ulitmate truth, there is only one truth, a truth that in turn eminates hierarchical binaries such as good vs. evil, true vs. untrue etc ????? isn't it funny that in these binaries pertaining to ...[text shortened]... nto EVERYONE who disagrees with them, Christianity is a very democratic philosophy ISN'T IT?!
    that is garbage. there IS one ultimate truth, how can there be two ultimate truths? that is stupid, that is like saying "the big bang caused life, but God created life also". only the bible decides what is good and evil, some people try to but you shouldnt listen to them especially the Christians who force their knowledge upon you and try to convince you that you are wrong.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 18:181 edit
    that is garbage. there IS one ultimate truth, how can there be two ultimate truths? that is stupid, that is like saying "the big bang caused life, but God created life also". only the bible decides what is good and evil, some people try to but you shouldnt listen to them especially the Christians who force their knowledge upon you and try to convince you that you are wrong.
    So we are forcing you to believe as we do are we? Should we remain silent or should we shout on our roof tops that Christ is the way? Is knowing the truth impossible or is it possible we have been shown the truth? I will admitt one thing and that is NO one likes to be told their wrong. To become a Christian, however, one must "get over it" and conceed that they are wrong and turn to Christ.

The first part of your post, however, is pretty good.
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 18:201 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    So we are forcing you to believe as we do are we? Should we remain silent or should we shout on our roof tops that Christ is the way? Is knowing the truth impossible or is it possible we have been shown the truth? I will admitt one thing and that is NO one likes to be told their wrong. To become a Christian, however, one must "get over it" and conceed that they are wrong and turn to Christ.
    dont do anything, just wait patiently; when you die you will find out the truth. just live your life
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 18:581 edit
    dont do anything, just wait patiently; when you die you will find out the truth. just live your life
    Do you think my religion is only for the dead? Christ said that he came so that we could not only have life in the life to come but also that we can have life more abundantly here on earth. Christianity is not a death cult as many here have charged on these boards in the past.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 19:00
    Do you think my religion is only for the dead? Christ said that he came so that we could not only have life in the life to come but also that we can have life more abundantly here on earth. Christianity is not a death cult as many here have charged on these boards in the past.
    i just told you, live your life; how is that calling it a death cult?
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 19:54
    But Christ said that one must be born again or at least their spriitual man to be born again and stressed the importance for this happening before one dies. Spiritual death occurred because of sin, however, one can have their spiritual being awakened to life once again. Christ said that this is why he came into the world so that through him this might be po ...[text shortened]... that deminsion that we cannot fathom that prohibits one from being redemed or healed as you say?
    (1) Jesus did not say anyone must be born again; he said born from above. The second-birth question came from Nicodemus, whom Jesus implied did not understand (and it seems the confusion continues). Jesus said one must be born of water and pneuma (spirit, breath, wind); he also indicated that in this he was talking about “earthly” things, not heavenly things.

Every single person is born of water and spirit/breath (pneuma), as well as matter/flesh (sarx). Ask any mother, or anyone who’s ever been present at a birth, if you question that. pneuma is the enlivening principle, without which sarx is inanimate.

Genesis 6:3 Then Yahweh said, "My spirit (LXX: pneuma) shall not abide in mortals forever, for they are flesh..."

(2) I don’t understand what any of this (or the rest of your post) has to do with the question at hand.

I really do not want to just go back and forth past one another like this. So I’ll just let you deal with the dilemma however you wish—after all, I was not the one who posed it...
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 20:26
    (1) Jesus did not say anyone must be born again; he said born from above. The second-birth question came from Nicodemus, whom Jesus implied did not understand (and it seems the confusion continues). Jesus said one must be born of water and pneuma (spirit, breath, wind); he also indicated that in this he was talking about “earthly” things, not heav ...[text shortened]... st let you deal with the dilemma however you wish—after all, I was not the one who posed it...
    You are approaching metennoia, dear friend. Have you received the spinther, yet?
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 21:26
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    You are approaching metennoia, dear friend. Have you received the spinther, yet?
    I hope so. Spinther?
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 22:091 edit
    I hope so. Spinther?
    closest I can get to the meaning is a piece of the divine source, although I think it's more like a connection *with it

edit *changed to it with 'with it'
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 22:511 edit
    closest I can get to the meaning is a piece of the divine source, although I think it's more like a connection *with it

edit *changed to it with 'with it'
    Can you give me a reference (& langauge)? All I can find is a Roman politician and an earthworm...
  13. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Apr '07 23:42
    Can you give me a reference (& langauge)? All I can find is a Roman politician and an earthworm...
    http://www.kheper.net/topics/Gnosticism/glossary.html
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 03:00
    http://www.kheper.net/topics/Gnosticism/glossary.html
    Ah! Thanks. A bit like the divine sparks of the or ein sof (light of the infinite) in kabbalah, perhaps.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    23 Apr '07 04:03
    (1) Jesus did not say anyone must be born again; he said born from above. The second-birth question came from Nicodemus, whom Jesus implied did not understand (and it seems the confusion continues). Jesus said one must be born of water and pneuma (spirit, breath, wind); he also indicated that in this he was talking about “earthly” things, not heavenly things.
    I have made myself blue trying to pound this point across. If you can succeed where I have failed,
    then you are an even greater individual than I have given you credit for.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree