1. Maryland
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 18:45
    Can anyone cite anything theology has contributed to human knowledge in the past 500 years?
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 19:06
    "My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race. I cannot, however, deny that it has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle eclipses with such care that in time they became able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others."

Bertrand Russell
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 19:08
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Can anyone cite anything theology has contributed to human knowledge in the past 500 years?
    Theology.
  4. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 19:193 edits
    True religion found in the Vedas is the source of all knowledge.

Before medical science even knew that germs existed, the Vedas had the Ayurveda.

Look up Ayurveda and learn something.

Before the world could even speak properly, the Veda's were giving us knowledge in the Sanskrit language.

Look up Sanskrit and learn something.

Before when the scientific world thought that the earth was flat, the Vedas were teaching us about true science (cosmology)

Read the 18 volume Srimad Bhagavatam by his Divine Grace AC Bhaktivedanta Srila Prubhupada and learn something.

What ever mundane knowledge you think you possess at the moment is useless.

I cannot spoon feed you all the way, so you must seek true knowledge yourself.

I have shown you the way and the direction.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Feb '16 20:06
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Theology.
    So because of theology we know more about religions. Good point. Sadly about half the field of theology gets it all wrong.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 20:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So because of theology we know more about religions. Good point. Sadly about half the field of theology gets it all wrong.
    I was just answering the question.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 21:10
    Yes it has influenced much of western art, literature, music and architecture and some of the greatest artistic pinnacles such as Caravaggio or Titian or Durer were inspired directly by scripture. Newton himself was motivated by religion to delve into the mysteries of the universe and discover the hand of the creator. Imagine if it was left up to atheists, we'd be pondering cave paintings, listening to ice melt and living in the stone age.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    01 Mar '16 21:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes it has influenced much of western art, literature, music and architecture and some of the greatest artistic pinnacles such as Caravaggio or Titian or Durer were inspired directly by scripture. Newton himself was motivated by religion to delve into the mysteries of the universe and discover the hand of the creator. Imagine if it was left up to atheists, we'd be pondering cave paintings, listening to ice melt and living in the stone age.
    Would you say that theists have done more for the advancement of mankind than atheists?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 00:471 edit
    Combine artistic or scientific talent with fear and the results will address fear.

Why fear? Just an example. Love, community, hope, sacrifice, abuse, atonement, empathy, etc.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 02:01
    I rather suspect that is why the OP confined discussion to the last 500 years.
  11. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 02:04
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I rather suspect that is why the OP confined discussion to the last 500 years.
    You once said that faith creates knowledge. What knowledge do you think, say, Islamic faith creates?
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 03:19
    Modern physics has often been attributed to Galileo's measuring of hell in Dante's Inferno. However, this had more to do with Galileo pointing out why certain aspects and dimensions of Dante's version of hell wouldn't work in real life.

So theology contributed to knowledge by being proved wrong.
  13. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 04:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You are correct.

That is because you talk of theology associated with false religion.

However...........True religion is 100% correct.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 07:52
    Imagine if it was left up to atheists, we'd be pondering cave paintings, listening to ice melt and living in the stone age.
    I am an atheist and hold a BSc. You are a theist, too scared to read a science book. Nuf said.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 12:07
    Originally posted by Dasa

Before medical science even knew that germs existed, the Vedas had the Ayurveda.

Look up Ayurveda and learn something.

Before the world could even speak properly, the Veda's were giving us knowledge in the Sanskrit language.

Look up Sanskrit and learn something.

Before when the scie ...[text shortened]... he way, so you must seek true knowledge yourself.

I have shown you the way and the direction.
    You're using the word "dishonest" incorrectly.