1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 12:351 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    "My own view on religion is that of Lucretius. I regard it as a disease born of fear and as a source of untold misery to the human race. I cannot, however, deny that it has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle eclipses with such care that in time they became ...[text shortened]... two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others."

Bertrand Russell
    My favorite quote from Atheist Betrand Russell, which I think had a lot of insight, went something like this:

There are two tragedies in life: One is to be withheld from the desire of your heart. The other is to obtain it.

Christian theology has contributed to the knowledge of why this is largely true and why it is so.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 12:468 edits
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Can anyone cite anything theology has contributed to human knowledge in the past 500 years?
    It is the year 1516 AD. A certain man who has no knowledge of atoms, microwave, radio signals, electric current, galaxies, and many, many, many other things steps outside and sees his neighbor's wife. He lusts after her and covets her. He flirts with her and flatters her, inflicting subtle damage on her relationship with her own husband and cheating on his own family life.

It is now 500 years latter in 2016 AD. Another man gets on the Internet. This one has knowledge of microwave, is conversant on the solar system, understands computers some, microbiology, atomic energy, and quantum physics. He also is flirting with someone's wife over the Internet, coveting her, flattering her, tempting her to the destruction of his own family life and hers.

Christian knowledge of God and ministry of God to people helps the 21rst century man realize that he is not a whit better off morally or spiritually than the 16th century man. Both are destroying their own humanity and recklessly committing adultery to the ruination of themselves and many other people effected as well as breaking God's law - "You shall not commit adultery."

Christian theology helps the second man to realize in his arrogance, that just because he knows more stuff about the mechanics of the universe he is not necessarily spiritually and morally superior to men of former ages.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 13:07
    Originally posted by sonship
    It is the year [b]1516 AD. A certain man who has no knowledge of atoms, microwave, radio signals, electric current, galaxies, and many, many, many other things steps outside and sees his neighbor's wife. He lusts after her and covets her. He flirts with her and flatters her, inflicting subtle damage on her relationship with her own husband and cheating ...[text shortened]... cs of the universe he is not necessarily spiritually and morally superior to men of former ages.[/b]
    Amen to that brother sonship.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 13:142 edits
    Give it up robbie carrobie.
    We're through. I can't treat you as a "brother" who year after year rejects Jesus as God incarnate but strongly opposes it.

Forget about any brotherhood between Jehovah's Witnesses and the disciples of Jesus.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 13:29
    We're through. I can't treat you as a "brother" who year after year rejects Jesus as God incarnate but strongly opposes it.

Forget about any brotherhood between Jehovah's Witnesses and the disciples of Jesus.
    Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................

Shots fired!!

This means all out religious warfare.

I have my popcorn ready.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 13:57
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You're using the word "dishonest" incorrectly.
    He is just one of many many people totally convinced only THEIR religion is the TRUE religion.

Here is the thing: They cannot almost by definition all be right.

They can, however, ALL be wrong.

I opt for the second alternative.

When people use religion as a crutch, it might even be necessary for those times where you search in the heavens for signs of deities and such but instead find the universe.

In the past, religion was necessary in people's lives because there was no alternative to the implacable hostile world we live in, thunder, lightning, volcano's, earthquakes, plagues, pestilences, predators, diseases, it's no wonder people in the past took up religion because it gave them a framework in which they had order in their lives and ritual. Religion gave them that. At a high price.

Now we have outgrown the fear of thunder, we know what meteorites and tornado's and predators are and have to means to defeat or avoid all of those and most diseases now.

We need to outgrow religion now because they are holding people back from being mature as a civilization.

Right now all we get from religion on a global scale is global scale violence.

But still the adherents tout THEIR religion as the only true religion despite massive evidence to the contrary.

That is not maturity. That is still living in fear when most fear causing agents have been defeated for the most part where most folk can live out their lives in relative peace, at least better than most any time in history. Certainly better health and such.
  7. Joined
    25 Feb '16
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 14:12
    It gave us great short stories by Borges.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 14:44
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Can anyone cite anything theology has contributed to human knowledge in the past 500 years?
    Has the human heart changed in the past 500 years through technology so that we no
    sin against each other and ourselves? Has man stopped buying and selling each other,
    taking advantage of each other, stopped carrying for our own needs over those near us?

Theology can change a man's heart, it is done on the individual not nations, so when you
    see drug addicts turn their lives around, drunks, and so on this is through self effort and
    in many cases theology as God helps, it isn't due to our great strives in creating an
    iPhone or a really great laptop.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 15:211 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Has the human heart changed in the past 500 years through technology so that we no
    sin against each other and ourselves? Has man stopped buying and selling each other,
    taking advantage of each other, stopped carrying for our own needs over those near us?

Theology can change a man's heart, it is done on the individual not nations, so when you
    see drug ...[text shortened]... as God helps, it isn't due to our great strives in creating an
    iPhone or a really great laptop.
    On the other hand, has theology increased anyone's lifespan, cured any diseases, shown any knowledge outside dogma, taught anyone about the real world? The world of the Abrahamic religions is one where the planet is 6000 years old and no discussion tolerated.

Also 500 years ago, if you quit the religion you were now apostate and likely to be killed.

That still goes on today in some branches of the Abrahamics.

They are the religious mafia, you check in but you don't check out alive.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 16:151 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    On the other hand, has theology increased anyone's lifespan, cured any diseases, shown any knowledge outside dogma, taught anyone about the real world? The world of the Abrahamic religions is one where the planet is 6000 years old and no discussion tolerated.

Also 500 years ago, if you quit the religion you were now apostate and likely to be killed.

...[text shortened]... of the Abrahamics.

They are the religious mafia, you check in but you don't check out alive.
    And in the end we still are dying and diseases are still here. The difference is what is it
    that is most important, is it a life span no matter how many times we increase it still ends
    or is there something beyond which looks at what one does with that life span no matter
    how long or short it is?

What does success look like? If our lives are such that we care for one another and will
    look beyond the wrongs done to us, is that life better than one who lives twice as long as
    us? If we hate each other yet we live disease free and three times longer is that better
    than the life that cares for others over themselves?

Yes, I'll take God's Word of loving Him and each other over iphones and laptops and
    longer lives. I just wish I was better at it than I am.

There are more than a few who do not tolerate those that disagree with them and hold
    very negative views of them that do not agree. That is more of a human issue not so much
    as a theology one.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 16:50
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................

Shots fired!!

This means all out religious warfare.

I have my popcorn ready.
    too bad i was only being facetious.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 16:52

chill out sonship.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 17:00
    Michael Jackson was a Jehovah's Witness. I wonder if he ever went door-to-door handing out Watchtowers.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 17:131 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    Michael Jackson was a Jehovah's Witness. I wonder if he ever went door-to-door handing out Watchtowers.
    I doubt it from what i can discern it was only his mother that was a witness and his father was rather opposed. Micheal Jackson left or was kicked out the Witnesses.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 19:26
    Originally posted by vivify
    Apparently he was told to "Beat it."

"Don't you ever come around here.
    Don't wanna see your face. You better disappear."
    The fire's in their eyes and their words are really clear
    So beat it, just beat it

You better run, you better do what you can
    Don't wanna see no blood, don't be a macho man
    You wanna be tough, better do what you can
    So beat it, but you wanna be bad

Just beat it, beat it, beat it, beat it
    No one wants to be defeated
    Showin' how funky strong is your fight
    It doesn't matter who's wrong or right

Just beat it, beat it

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree