1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 20:45
    I'm not sure theology has contributed to knowledge, certainly not the sort of empirical knowledge typified by scientific inquiry. But that does not mean it has contributed nothing at all or nothing of any value. I would say that it has contributed to a vocabulary of eschatology; or, in plain English, it has given mankind (or some parts of mankind anyway) a voice with which to express existential concerns. (Philosophy sometimes does that, too, of course, without necessarily presupposing the God-concept.)
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 21:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    too bad i was only being facetious.
    Go get him, Robbie!

Hit him with one of your zingers.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 22:00
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    And in the end we still are dying and diseases are still here. The difference is what is it
    that is most important, is it a life span no matter how many times we increase it still ends
    or is there something beyond which looks at what one does with that life span no matter
    how long or short it is?

What does success look like? If our lives are such that ...[text shortened]... e views of them that do not agree. That is more of a human issue not so much
    as a theology one.
    So that's the big retort, in the end we still die? It doesn't matter if we now live to be 100+ in good health whereas 500 years ago children had maybe a 50 50 chance of living to adulthood? And that was a good thing? Where the plague killed 1/3 or more of entire populations whereas now it would hardly kill anyone because we know what it is, what carries it, what to do about it, this is bad?

None of the above was done through the auspices of religion, it was done through science.

The only thing we have now with religion is religious war. If you don't believe me, take your bible and cross to Isis held Iraq and find out how much they turn the other cheek.
    Ah, you say, they are not followers of Christ. But if a Muslim goes into christian territory in Pakistan, he or she might be killed BECAUSE they are Muslim.

THOSE christians follow Christ. So tell me how loving all that is.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Mar '16 22:01
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Go get him, Robbie!

Hit him with one of your zingers.
    Nah, better zing him with one of your hitters🙂
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 11:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So that's the big retort, in the end we still die? It doesn't matter if we now live to be 100+ in good health whereas 500 years ago children had maybe a 50 50 chance of living to adulthood? And that was a good thing? Where the plague killed 1/3 or more of entire populations whereas now it would hardly kill anyone because we know what it is, what carries it, ...[text shortened]... d BECAUSE they are Muslim.

How many times do I have to point out that this is not the fault of religion? These things are done by evil men, not religion. Religion is only an excuse for them. If there were no religion, they'd simply find another excuse, maybe race, or skin color.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 12:33
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    How many times do I have to point out that this is not the fault of religion? These things are done by evil men, not religion. Religion is only an excuse for them. If there were no religion, they'd simply find another excuse, maybe race, or skin color.
    All that goes to show is humanity is not spiritual. Humanity is political, territorial and hateful mostly. The alleged appearance of a deity 2000 years ago did little in that regard. People still hate, even those professing to be christian.

It tells me a lot about religion that there would be some kind of deity that would first, start a religion in some remote part of the world where that was supposed to lead people to forgiveness and heaven but thousands of years go by and even now in the 21st century there are people around the world who have never even heard the name of Jesus Christ much less be part of that congregation.

I have always said a REAL deity, not this man made caricature of one in the Abrahamic religions, would have the power to speak to every sentient being on the planet in their own language, saying something like look dudette, this is how it is....

The fact there are so many religions diabolically opposed to one another tells me plainly no deity was involved in the manufacturing of ANY religion, whether it was a tribe in Mexico 2000 years ago or Aborigines in Australia or the Karen in Thailand, or Jews in the middle east, all with extremely different stories of how we got here and such and what to expect of deities.

The thing is, they cannot all be right. And for your particular deity to be right, there has to be something fishy in Denmark about it. To give this alleged gift of heaven and forgiveness and mercy and such to a tiny fraction of the population of Earth is suspect in the extreme. But you view the spread of Christianity as validation of the truth of such deity when in absolute fact it was humans who spread the word about Christ not Christ.

In fact it was Paul and the religion bears so much of his philosophy it should rightfully be called Paulism but that's another story.

In short, they can't all be right about religion but they sure as hell can ALL be totally wrong.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 21:17
    So that's the big retort, in the end we still die? It doesn't matter if we now live to be 100+ in good health whereas 500 years ago children had maybe a 50 50 chance of living to adulthood? And that was a good thing? Where the plague killed 1/3 or more of entire populations whereas now it would hardly kill anyone because we know what it is, what carries it, ...[text shortened]... d BECAUSE they are Muslim.

You reject that in the end we still die?

We get far more from our faith in God than just war, you seem to be blind to it.
    I think religion is an excuse to do evil, but people will use anything to justify everything
    they do! So you are no different you dislike religion so you spend most of your time here
    bad mouthing it and feel quite justified in doing so. You are not beheading anyone but
    you sure spend of a lot of time running them down, has your education and technology
    granted you the ability to rise above that type of thing, no.

Justifying bad behavior is a human trait not a religious one only.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 22:251 edit
    wOriginally posted by KellyJay
    You reject that in the end we still die?

We get far more from our faith in God than just war, you seem to be blind to it.
    I think religion is an excuse to do evil, but people will use anything to justify everything
    they do! So you are no different you dislike religion so you spend most of your time here
    bad mouthing it and feel quite justified in doi ...[text shortened]... ve that type of thing, no.

Justifying bad behavior is a human trait not a religious one only.
    Ah, so your god loved us so much it knew we were going to a better place when we die so it allowed, indeed, sanctioned the death of 100 million poor people in WW2 and other wars.

Now I get it.

All I am saying is people are gullible and have fallen for the biggest scam of all time.

I don't rhetorically behead them, I just wish humanity would grow up and not need the crutch of religion. We as humans will never mature with religions hanging around our necks getting killed by other religions.

I say a real deity would never set up a system as cruel as exists here on Earth right now and for the past few thousand years.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '16 22:47
    Ah, so your god loved us so much it knew we were going to a better place when we die so it allowed, indeed, sanctioned the death of 100 million poor people in WW2 and other wars.

Now I get it.

All I am saying is people are gullible and have fallen for the biggest scam of all time.

I don't rhetorically behead them, I just wish humanity would grow u ...[text shortened]... set up a system as cruel as exists here on Earth right now and for the past few thousand years.
    Everyone is going to die. You are upset about the details?

You seem to want to have it both ways, no God people die, with God people die, so no
    matter what people die so you are upset that people die?

You have NO CLUE what a deity would do, you know what you'd do.

People are doing what they will, they use religion and everything else to get away with
    it. Nothing new here, but because they use religion that is religion's fault or the people
    who use it?

If humanity would grow up what would that look like in your opinion?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 01:59
    How Atheists Steal Science From God Frank Turek Phd.

YouTube
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Mar '16 18:45
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b]How Atheists Steal Science From God Frank Turek Phd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gurMfV5Pmus[/b]
    The title is so funny I just might watch it!
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '16 10:34
    Originally posted by sonship
    How Atheists Steal Science From God Frank Turek Phd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gurMfV5Pmus
    I watched bits of it. Boring nonsense mostly. Oh well. Hilarious title though.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree