Creation Answer Book

Creation Answer Book

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
09 Jan 12
2 edits

Originally posted by Penguin
You said:

There is no other religion that matches that of Christianity and plus the Bible offers eternal live after death with the Creator whom has created all of this. I am taking my chances and living according to the Biblical laws - and by following these rules and laws will only make me an those following it a better person I believe. None of the l ...[text shortened]... mosque during a dark period of your life when you needed emotional support?

--- Penguin.
...and would be just as likely to be right. So you take your chances with the Christian god and when you die you find yourself cast down with the atheists.
Yes

There is nothing that makes Christianity more unique or special than any other religion. No religion matches that of Christianity in the same way that none matches Islam, Buddhism or Zoroastrianism.
Again, why do you think you follow Christianity instead of Islam? Is it because you are privy to some objective evidence which would convert the Muslim if he was aware of it? Or is it just that your parent were Christian, or your school teachers, or your college friends, or that there was a Church nearby and no mosque during a dark period of your life when you needed emotional support?

Well why can you be so sure if you weren't Christian before. No I did not study Islam, Buddhism etc before making a choice for religion. You can easily find core information about each religion and decide for yourself, yes or no, true or false. Those are your own choices. Thus I have done my bit of homework and am sticking to my choice as I believe I've made the right one.

When I was still in school I could not remember once that my parents was with me in church. If you asked me then my question would have been different I guess but I know today they sure are Christians as well. Christianity fascinated me when I was younger, and yes, the other religion and science spam also did, but I believe I've seen the truth in the Bible, like millions of other people and Christianity is our choice, and respectfully hope you see the same kind of truth before you die.

Because can you honestly 100% guarantee no God exists at all even though some hard core atheists have mentioned a potential creator?

Moves
09 Jan 12

Originally posted by Nicksten
Because can you honestly 100% guarantee no God exists at all even though some hard core atheists have mentioned a potential creator?
Nobody can guarantee 100% that a god or gods don't exist.
You can't use positive evidence to prove a negative claim.
The only way to completely rule out all god concepts would be to rule out every possibility for gods existence
and I don't think that's possible, regardless, it's not possible now.

However what you are talking about is pascals wager.
If you can't rule out god then you aught to believe in god on the off chance that god exists because
if god exists and you don't believe then you go to hell for eternity, and if god doesn't exist then it
makes no difference when your dead if you believed or not.

However.

This only potentially works if there is only one possible god.
There are in fact an infinite number of possible god concepts, and at least thousands of god concepts
we have already thought of.
Which means even if you limit the potential gods to ones we have already conceived of you still have
thousands to chose from.
Which means your chances of picking the right god to believe in are minuscule to zero.

Also, if your only reason for trying to believe in a god is that on the off chance it exists it wont send
you to hell for not believing in it, surely anything worthy of being a god could tell that you were just faking
it to avoid punishment, in which case would that really save you from hell?

Also, one thing you are forgetting is that I don't think it's possible to MAKE yourself believe something.
You either believe that a particular god is real, or you don't, you can't force yourself to believe in god just as
you can't force yourself to believe in fairies or goblins.

So, pascals wager is utter fail for an argument for believing in god.

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/pascal.html

P

Moves
09 Jan 12

[b]...and would be just as likely to be right. So you take your chances with the Christian god and when you die you find yourself cast down with the atheists.
Yes

There is nothing that makes Christianity more unique or special than any other religion. No religion matches that of Christianity in the same way that none matches Islam, Buddhism or Zo ...[text shortened]... no God exists at all even though some hard core atheists have mentioned a potential creator?
Thank you for your honest and considered answer. So you accept that your choice was not based on an unbiased and rational comparison of all the religions on offer (such a comparison is a virtual impossibility anyway!)

No I cannot guarantee 100% that no God exists, I don't think you will find an honest atheist who claims to be able to do that. However, can you also accept that the choice of any particular religion by an individual is not based on any solid evidence that that religion has a greater chance of being true than any other religion?

--- Penguin.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jan 12

Thank you for your honest and considered answer. So you accept that your choice was not based on an unbiased and rational comparison of all the religions on offer (such a comparison is a virtual impossibility anyway!)

No I cannot guarantee 100% that no God exists, I don't think you will find an honest atheist who claims to be able to do that. However, can ...[text shortened]... that that religion has a greater chance of being true than any other religion?

--- Penguin.
I think there is much solid evidence that makes Christianity more likely
to be true than any other religion, including atheism.

RJHinds 😏

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
09 Jan 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
Nobody can guarantee 100% that a god or gods don't exist.
You can't use positive evidence to prove a negative claim.
The only way to completely rule out all god concepts would be to rule out every possibility for gods existence
and I don't think that's possible, regardless, it's not possible now.

However what you are talking about is pascals wager ...[text shortened]... rgument for believing in god.

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/pascal.html
Also, if your only reason for trying to believe in a god is that on the off chance it exists it wont send
you to hell for not believing in it, surely anything worthy of being a god could tell that you were just faking it to avoid punishment, in which case would that really save you from hell?

Well yes, God will know if you fake it, and the best place to fake this will be in those times you are alone and not infront of family and or friends. I also believe that "going to hell" should scare any living person and surely that could be mostly the reason why people have turned to God, but it was not meant to motivate or scare you. Surely there are people that live that lie, it really is a pitty that they are wasting all their time though.

Also, one thing you are forgetting is that I don't think it's possible to MAKE yourself believe something. You either believe that a particular god is real, or you don't, you can't force yourself to believe in god just as you can't force yourself to believe in fairies or goblins.
I don't want to get technical but you can get brainwashed into making you believe something.
I can make myself believe that I am not a failure, I can make myself believe I am beautiful. If anyone else says differently, would you want to belief them or yourself? You have power over your own brain, make yourself believe or make a failure. Well, it sounds easier said than done for some.

P

Moves
09 Jan 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds

RJHinds 😏
My discussion at the moment is with Nicksten so, although I would love to push you on this, I would rather see what Nicksten's view is on it. I hope you won't be offended if I respectfully ignore you.

Nicksten certainly seems to accept that followers of other religions are equally likely to be right, since he agrees that their beliefs are just as much justified. Nicksten, do you agree that a religious individual's choice of religion is essentially arbitrary and not based on any objective reasoning?

--- Penguin.

Moves
09 Jan 12

RJHinds 😏
Atheism is not a religion.
However you define religion it has to include a belief system of some sort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

And often/usually/almost always belief in god or gods of some sort.

Atheism HAS NO BELIEFS OR TENETS! and certainly has no belief system and thus, IS NOT A RELIGION!

Claiming that atheism is a religion is just as wrong and stupid as claiming off is a tv channel.

Also, the fact that you think their is evidence for your religion is not in fact evidence that there is evidence
for your religion.
You have not during your time on these forums presented any.
I know you think you have but you fail to comprehend what qualifies as evidence FOR something and thus
everything you have thus far presented has not actually turned out to be evidence FOR the existence of
your god.

Finally, I think you might be winning the award for the most abuse of the smugness emoticon on these forums.

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
09 Jan 12

No I cannot guarantee 100% that no God exists, I don't think you will find an honest atheist who claims to be able to do that. However, can ...[text shortened]... that that religion has a greater chance of being true than any other religion?

--- Penguin.
Thanks.

Yes you can argue on that again that any specific religion has a greater chance of being the right one for them, but the argument is, is it the right one and am I sure of it?

This is where it comes down to, yes, by looking at what religion do and what the core of those religions are, I have found none that can provide a wealth of evidence like the Bible. By doing some homework on the internet and buying DVD's and books is enough evidence for the world to proof the Christian God is the only God.

This argument can go on more circles on rephrasing the comment to include the view of Islam religion (or any religion), but it comes down to is it the right one and am I sure of it? I honestly belief that Christianity is the right one to a point that I am sure of it.

Yes and so will other people argue the same about their religion...

Do your bit of homework, find the evidence, see the truth, make your choice and live it. If you have already done so, then making you belief something else will be difficult except of you're willing to learn 🙂

Moves
09 Jan 12

[b]Also, if your only reason for trying to believe in a god is that on the off chance it exists it wont send
you to hell for not believing in it, surely anything worthy of being a god could tell that you were just faking it to avoid punishment, in which case would that really save you from hell?

Well yes, God will know if you fake it, and the best pl ...[text shortened]... make yourself believe or make a failure. Well, it sounds easier said than done for some.[/b]
You just admitted (if I can make you out, you really need to make your meaning clearer) that
god can tell if you are faking belief and that faking your belief wont get you into heaven
(although you don't have any evidence for this or any other claim you make about your religion)
in which case believing in god on the off chance that god exists (assuming that you luck out and
pick the right one, and that a god exists in the first place)
would be pointless, you still go to hell.

As for making yourself believe.
Sure people can delude themselves, and people can indeed start and stop believing in things for
all kinds of reasons. But that is not the same as trying to make yourself believe in something you don't
have any natural inclination to believe (and hence don't believe already).

Asking an atheist to believe in god to an atheist sounds like being asked to believe in the FSM.
You try making yourself believe in the FSM, let me know how you get on.

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
09 Jan 12
1 edit

My discussion at the moment is with Nicksten so, although I would love to push you on this, I would rather see what Nicksten's view is on it. I hope you won't be offended if I respectfully ignore you.

Nicksten certainly seems to accept that followers of other religions are equally likely to be right, since he agrees that their beliefs are just as much jus f religion is essentially arbitrary and not based on any objective reasoning?

--- Penguin.
Nicksten certainly seems to accept that followers of other religions are equally likely to be right, since he agrees that their beliefs are just as much justified.
I can not make someone belief something else that has enough faith as I in my relgion. Thus I say that yes they believe they are right - they belief so. If you put us next to each other, I would equally stand behind my religion as any other person would stand behind theirs. That is why I accept that followers of other religions are equally to be right (but by their belief, not mine).

Nicksten, do you agree that a religious individual's choice of religion is essentially arbitrary and not based on any objective reasoning?
Well, I may shock you...
I believe that most people's choice of religion or no religion are based on many many factors starting from childhood up until very old age.

You can be Christian all your life and one day decide on free will you don't like it anymore and do something else...
You can be an atheist from childhood as your parents were atheists but you converted to Christian religion later in your years, well because maybe someone told you and you saw the truth and believed it. Or maybe even you became Christian because the only damn reason that stood between you was because you're an atheist and your dream wife to be is Christian.
You can be a Christian and maybe got molested by another Christian - thus you hate Christians and now you're not one.
You are an atheist and still are one because it was printed in your head from day one there is no God.

... these but to mention a few

There are many factors that can make us change course, only, if you let it.

I hope I answered your question.

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
09 Jan 12
2 edits

You just admitted (if I can make you out, you really need to make your meaning clearer) that
god can tell if you are faking belief and that faking your belief wont get you into heaven
(although you don't have any evidence for this or any other claim you make about your religion)
in which case believing in god on the off chance that god believe in the FSM.
You try making yourself believe in the FSM, let me know how you get on.
Noooooo man. Read the question and the reply again.

it was...
===========================================================================================

Well yes, God will know if you fake it, and the best place to fake this will be in those times you are alone and not infront of family and or friends. I also believe that "going to hell" should scare any living person and surely that could be mostly the reason why people have turned to God, but it was not meant to motivate or scare you. Surely there are people that live that lie, it really is a pitty that they are wasting all their time though.
===========================================================================================

Surely God can tell if you fake it.
Okay maybe i missed saying that if the reason for turning Christian was because you're scared of hell, should have not been the reason. If you turn to God because of the fact that you go to hell if not, it is not fake if you continue to follow His rules and really are a Christian. It is a fake to turn to God if you don't want to hell, and then not live by His rules.

How do you fake belief? If I fail to pray, worship, go to church, read the Bible and fail to believe Jesus is the Son of God etc but I claim to be Christian - you're fake.

Is this clearer?

Edit: Believing is not deluding. They are very different and one should know the difference. I was talking "believing" and you saw "deluding".

2nd Edit: If religions and atheist all don't believe in the FSM - Then surely it is one thing we all agree to - FINALLY LOL!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Jan 12

Noooooo man. Read the question and the reply again.

it was...
[b]Also, if your only reason for trying to believe in a god is that on the off chance it exists it wont send
you to hell for not believing in it, surely anything worthy of being a god could tell tha ...[text shortened]... don't believe in the FSM - Then surely it is one thing we all agree to - FINALLY LOL!
But the FSM was made up by an atheist so he could start his own religion,
wasn't it? 😀

Moves
09 Jan 12

But the FSM was made up by an atheist so he could start his own religion,
wasn't it? 😀
The FSM has more to do with Creationism than with setting up a religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Do you hate the FSM? Don't forget josephw says denying existence is hate.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
09 Jan 12
1 edit

TSo shove your pretensions up your arse, and get over it.
okay. 😛

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
09 Jan 12

Originally posted by JS357
The FSM has more to do with Creationism than with setting up a religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Do you hate the FSM? Don't forget josephw says denying existence is hate.
Correction: It is blatantly and disrespectfully mocking Creationism (Christianity)
Denying something non-existent is not hate - you can not hate something which isn't there.