Creationism Q and A

Creationism Q and A

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
30 Jan 15

My point being, of course, that many people who know the Bible at least as well as you do, have found no contradiction between its Creation message and the very well-proven findings of evolutionary biology.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jan 15

Originally posted by JS357
Wikipedia and several other sites report him to be alive.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/billy-graham/deathhoax.html

So please go ahead and say what he didn't understand. It won't disparage him.

BTW Wikipedia says he has a BA in anthropology.
Wheaton was one of the first liberal arts colleges in the country to offer anthropology courses and was the first Christian liberal arts college to have an anthropology major which was popular from its beginning. Billy Graham ('43) is probably the most well-known graduate in anthropology. Several sociology and anthropology graduates have teaching careers in colleges and universities around the country.

http://www.wheaton.edu/academics/departments/socio

Moves
30 Jan 15
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Wheaton was one of the first liberal arts colleges in the country to offer anthropology courses and was the first Christian liberal arts college to have an anthropology major which was popular from its beginning. Billy Graham ('43) is probably the most well-known graduate in anthropology. Several sociology and anthropology graduates have teaching careers in ...[text shortened]... eges and universities around the country.

http://www.wheaton.edu/academics/departments/socio
So should I assume you are not going to tell us what Billy Graham doesn't understand about evolutionary processes?

c

Moves
30 Jan 15

And of course I do not mean that Rev. Graham's acceptance proves the truth of evolution, only that he regards it as a legitimate position for a Christian to take.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jan 15

So should I assume you are not going to tell us what Billy Graham doesn't understand about evolutionary processes?
I was attempting to point out that he got his degree in 1943 from a Christian liberal arts college. That should tell you that he was not taught to understand it in the same way as most evolutionists today understand it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jan 15

Originally posted by catstorm
And of course I do not mean that Rev. Graham's acceptance proves the truth of evolution, only that he regards it as a legitimate position for a Christian to take.
He never says evolution is a legitimate position for a Christian to take. He only says that he does not see a conflict between science and the Genesis account of creation. It is debatable as to where evolution is a science or philosophy depending on the definition. He does not explain the definition of evolution that he accepts.

Machinery is considered to have evolved by many peoples definition; yet we do not exclude man's creative and design ability in making that happen.

c

Moves
30 Jan 15

I got mine far more recently than that and was led to the Lord by an evolutionist. I attended a secular University and my biology professors were never disrespectful regarding religion. However, they rightly resented anyone trying to force Christian doctrine into their textbooks. I believe as you do that God created the world and all of life. That He may have used evolution ( a proven process) does not take anything away from my faith which I believe is as strong as yours. I hope you understand that I was never aiming at the Almighty and his revelation, but only at the clowns who abuse it.

c

Moves
30 Jan 15

Also, Rev. Graham must consider evolution to be a legitimate position whether he says so or not, since it is the position he has taken.
Machinery has evolved, which does not deny the men who built it, and living things have evolved, which does not deny the God who made them. My edition of 'On the Origin of Species' (there were many editions) ends with Darwin saying that the first living things had the life breathed into them by 'the Creator'.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jan 15
1 edit

I got mine far more recently than that and was led to the Lord by an evolutionist. I attended a secular University and my biology professors were never disrespectful regarding religion. However, they rightly resented anyone trying to force Christian doctrine into their textbooks. I believe as you do that God created the world and all of life. That He ma ...[text shortened]... that I was never aiming at the Almighty and his revelation, but only at the clowns who abuse it.
Evolution is a proven process that depends on the definition of evolution. The Genesis account of creation only took six days, so there is not billions or millions of years to work with that I can see. That evolution was very fast. 😏

c

Moves
30 Jan 15

The definition of 'day', the Hebrew word 'yom' does not have to be a literal day any more than the dancing mountains of Psalm 114 need to be taken literally. Creation Science allows for very fast evolution after the Flood. (Evolution being defined as the production of new species).

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jan 15

The definition of 'day', the Hebrew word 'yom' does not have to be a literal day any more than the dancing mountains of Psalm 114 need to be taken literally. Creation Science allows for very fast evolution after the Flood. (Evolution being defined as the production of new species).
If you have never seen the following video please take the time. He explains the definition of evolution that we accept and those that we do not.

100 Reasons Why Evolution Is STUPID! - Kent Hovind Christian Creationist

Moves
30 Jan 15

I was attempting to point out that he got his degree in 1943 from a Christian liberal arts college. That should tell you that he was not taught to understand it in the same way as most evolutionists today understand it.
I would lend more weight to the year (before DNA and RNA were known of) than the Christian nature of the college. But you seem to be assuming that his knowledge of evolution theory hasn't kept up to date with the times. His BA suggests he had more interest and education in such things than most people who accept evolution. I think you are writing him off for a most curious reason.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
30 Jan 15

I would lend more weight to the year (before DNA and RNA were known of) than the Christian nature of the college. But you seem to be assuming that his knowledge of evolution theory hasn't kept up to date with the times. His BA suggests he had more interest and education in such things than most people who accept evolution. I think you are writing him off for a most curious reason.
My intention was not to write off Billy Graham, but only to give some perspective. Is it that clear to you as to what he means by evolution when there have been so many definitions? Perhaps you have a mistaken idea of what Billy Graham believed.

Moves
30 Jan 15
1 edit

My intention was not to write off Billy Graham, but only to give some perspective. Is it that clear to you as to what he means by evolution when there have been so many definitions? Perhaps you have a mistaken idea of what Billy Graham believed.
"believed"?? Do you still think he's dead?

He said,as you should know if you have been following this thread, "I believe that God created man, and whether it came by an evolutionary process and at a certain point He took this person or being and made him a living soul or not, does not change the fact that God did create man."

This is the same view of God's role in evolution that the RCC espouses. It is bestowal by God of the soul upon humans at a critical juncture in the biological evolution of humans. I understand this perhaps better than you.

I also note that Graham did not say (here) that he believed the evolution theory.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Jan 15

"believed"?? Do you still think he's dead?

He said,as you should know if you have been following this thread, "I believe that God created man, and whether it came by an evolutionary process and at a certain point He took this person or being and made him a living soul or not, does not change the fact that God did create man."

This is the same view of God ...[text shortened]... r than you.

I also note that Graham did not say (here) that he believed the evolution theory.
“Billy Graham dead 2015” : Religious figure killed by internet death hoax

http://en.mediamass.net/people/billy-graham/deathhoax.html