1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 12:59
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Faith schools (in the West anyway) were created with the express intention of educating children of the faithful in the faith. So RE is an integral part of the mission of the faith schools.

As for Columbus, the most effective way for me to make my point is the Socratic one.
    That's nice, I have no problem with faith schools. We've managed to talk past each other completely on that point.

As for Columbus, clearly it isn't, since I have no patience with your method (given the gap in my knowledge), and have politely asked you to explain what you mean, rather than badger me with a stream of questions. Consider adapting your conversational style to your interlocutor or wait until someone else takes your Socratic bait...
  2. London
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:151 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    That's nice, I have no problem with faith schools. We've managed to talk past each other completely on that point.

As for Columbus, clearly it isn't, since I have no patience with your method (given the gap in my knowledge), and have politely asked you to explain what you mean, rather than badger me with a stream of questions. Consider adapting your ...[text shortened]... versational style to your interlocutor or wait until someone else takes your Socratic bait...
    First note: sorry for the delay, but please read the edited post as well. (I'm not holding anything against you btw -- I know it's not your fault)

My point about Columbus is quite simple -- it's quite amazing how many history textbooks (and not merely at primary level - also secondary school ones) will tell you that Columbus faced opposition to his West-bound trip to India because people thought he would fall off the "edge" of the earth.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:15
    Really? Do you want to re-check your history on that point (re: Latin Bibles)?
    I do not actually know this history well. Do you have good sources?

Isn't that true of most animals? Humans aside, I can think of only primates and dolphins for whom that wouldn't apply.
    No, it is totally false, as anyone who has ever kept a pet should know.

Besides, wouldn't you consider thought itself a complex high-level pattern of biological instincts according to "science"?
    If you did, which doesn't quite make sense to me, then it would include humans. The implication in my Religious education course was humans are unique and special because only they can think. If someone is that ignorant then I do not want to learn anything else from them.

(Also, I'm curious as to how a "group of churches" set the syllabus for an RC school. Could you elaborate more on this?)
    The school operates within the government framework and thus follows the government set courses and syllabi (is that the right plural) and examinations.
    I believe that the Religious education syllabus is set by "The Christian Council of Churches in Zambia"
  4. Joined
    21 Dec '05
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:17
    First note: sorry for the delay, but please read the edited post as well. (I'm not holding anything against you btw -- I know it's not your fault)

My point about Columbus is quite simple -- it's quite amazing how many history textbooks (and not merely at primary level - also secondary school ones) will tell you that Columbus faced opposition ...[text shortened]... West-bound trip to India because people thought he would fall off the "edge" of the earth.
    I said that some time ago - don't get your point???
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:23
    My point about Columbus is quite simple -- it's quite amazing how many history textbooks (and not merely at primary level - also secondary school ones) will tell you that Columbus faced opposition to his West-bound trip to India because people thought he would fall off the "edge" of the earth.
    See how easy that was. No need for the Socratic rigmarole! Yes, I know, untruths abound. Well, they should be rooted out of the syllabus, whether the school is secular or religious.

It's quite likely that some people did think he'd fall off the edge of the world, since I don't think the majority of uneducated people knew it was spherical. I know that it was shown to be spherical a very long time ago, by Hero of Alexandria was it? I forget. Anyway, there was a vast gap between the intelligentsia and the populace. Oddly enough the gap persists today in spite of mass education...
  6. London
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:241 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead

[b]Isn't that true of most animals? Humans aside, I can think of only primates and dolphins for whom that wouldn't apply.

Besides, wouldn't you consider thought itself a complex high-level pattern of bio Religious education syllabus is set by "The Christian Council of Churches in Zambia"[/b]

Not really. I'd use Wikipedia for a start.

However, something about non-Latin Bibles being prohibited in Protestant England (considering that's where the KJV comes from) sounds fishy to me.

I have kept pets. And none of my pets have been capable of [conceptual or abstract] thought. Were yours?

If you did, which doesn't quite make sense to me, then it would include humans.

Yes it would.

If someone is that ignorant then I do not want to learn anything else from them.

Funny you should say something like that, considering the point I'm making with the Columbus example.

The school operates within the government framework ... the Religious education syllabus is set by "The Christian Council of Churches in Zambia"

So we're talking about RE syllabus then and not the whole educational syllabus.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:24
    EDIT: It's not clear how your question really disputes mine.
    Whatever!
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:26
    I don't think anyone gets the point yet. I do remember a bit of that, thought the fact that he thought he could get to India, and his backers probably did too, implies that a significant number of people disagreed.

You still haven't given us a theory as to why there is anti-religious sentiment in schools.
  9. Joined
    21 Dec '05
    Moves
    [b]I do not actually know this history well. Do you have good sources?

Not really. I'd use Wikipedia for a start.

However, something about non-Latin Bibles being prohibited in Protestant England (considering that's where the KJV comes from) sounds fishy to me.

No, it is totally false, as anyone who has ever kept a pet should kno ...[text shortened]... a"

So we're talking about RE syllabus then and not the whole educational syllabus.[/b]
    How do you know that your pets were incapable of abstract thought?
  10. London
    Moves
    Originally posted by sugiezd
    I said that some time ago - don't get your point???
    It's simply not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_columbus#Navigational_theories
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:30
    It's simply not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_columbus#Navigational_theories
    For handy reference in this thread:

Following Washington Irving's myth-filled 1828 biography of Columbus, it became common supposed knowledge that Columbus had difficulty obtaining support for his plan because Europeans believed that the earth was flat.[4] In fact, few people at the time of Columbus’s voyage, and virtually no sailors or navigators, believed this. Most agreed that the earth was a sphere. Indeed, knowledge of the Earth's spherical nature was not limited to scientists: for instance, Dante's Divine Comedy is based on a spherical Earth. Columbus put forth arguments that were based on the circumference of the sphere. Most scholars accepted Ptolemy's claim that the terrestrial landmass (for Europeans of the time, comprising Eurasia and Africa) occupied 180 degrees of the terrestrial sphere, leaving 180 degrees of water.
  12. London
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:30
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    It's quite likely that some people did think he'd fall off the edge of the world, since I don't think the majority of uneducated people knew it was spherical. I know that it was shown to be spherical a very long time ago, by Hero of Alexandria was it? I forget. Anyway, there was a vast gap between the intelligentsia and the populace.
    Sure, there were a small minority of people who believed the Earth was flat -- but it wasn't a common view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth#Later_Middle_Ages
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:34
    Sure, there were a small minority of people who believed the Earth was flat -- but it wasn't a common view:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth#Later_Middle_Ages
    So you've managed to establish that it's a common misconception that people in the Middle Ages all thought the world was flat. What now?
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:35

My point about Columbus is quite simple -- it's quite amazing how many history textbooks (and not merely at primary level - also secondary school ones) will tell you that Columbus faced opposition ...[text shortened]... West-bound trip to India because people thought he would fall off the "edge" of the earth.
    Yep. That's still taught along with the idea that he thought the world was round while everyone else thought it was flat.

In fact, however, Columbus was engaged in debate with others regarding the circumference of the earth. He argued for a smaller size than believed by most geographers in his day. It turns out that he was wrong, while his adversaries were close to the mark. Both groups traced their ideas back to the ancient Greeks, who were the first to leave their calculations in print.

Nevertheless, Colon achieved greatness because his voyage promoted the potential riches in the lands the Vikings and Chinese had previously visited. His voyages launched the era of European colonization of the Western Hemisphere, but the Admiral of the Ocean Sea died believing he had reached the edge of Asia.

The truth is too complicated and lacks the glamour of the myth.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 13:41
    After that interesting detour through the Middle Ages via Columbus, maybe we can get back on topic now?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree