1. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 15:46
    Originally posted by rwingett
    As an atheist, I celebrate Christmas in a secular way. It's a time for family togetherness. For me, it has nothing to do with Jesus. Especially since he wasn't even born on December 25th.
    As an atheist, you are not celebrating CHRISTmas at all and you really should make it clear that you are celebrating the feast of 'Yule' or 'Winterval' or 'Natalis Solis Invictus' or whatever. It's just silly to say that it has nothing to do with Jesus - the date of his birth is certainly unknown, but one day in the year has to be used by Christians to mark it. It was a smart marketing move on behalf of the early church to take over an existing festival time.
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 16:10
    But he IS celebrating Christmas. It must be recognized that there is a fervent secular version of Christmas; after all, Santa Claus, Christmas trees, Frosty, Rudolf, The Grinch, lights on the house, etc. have nothing to do with the Christian celebration of the birth of Jesus.

There's not a thing wrong with that, either. It must be viewed in the same way as marriage, where there is a religious sacrament of marriage but there is also its secular counterpart.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 16:27
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    As an atheist, you are not celebrating CHRISTmas at all and you really should make it clear that you are celebrating the feast of 'Yule' or 'Winterval' or 'Natalis Solis Invictus' or whatever. It's just silly to say that it has nothing to do with Jesus - the date of his birth is certainly unknown, but one day in the year has to be used by Christians to mar ...[text shortened]... mart marketing move on behalf of the early church to take over an existing festival time.
    Since you stole the holiday from those poor pagans, it sounds to me like you're the one who shouldn't be celebrating it. You should apologize and rename it 'Yuletide.' There are, and have been, certain Christian sects who do not celebrate Christmas for that very reason.
  4. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 16:45
    Actually, I stole nothing from anyone - please don't assume I'm an active Christian. I'm just saying that to use the name CHRISTmas implies some connection with the Christ, ie Jesus.
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 01:38
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    One of the peculiarities I've noticed on this forum (and commented on) is the continued visitation by those who otherwise consistently broadcast their disdain for all things spiritual.

It begs the question, why?

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I also noticed how, on one of the pinnacle days related to Christianity, Christmas Day, posting grinds t ...[text shortened]... n? Why the sudden cease-fire?

Last year, one lonely post. Year before, five.

Curious.
    Well, someone pointed out in another thread that the Spirituality Forum has mostly become a Christians versus atheists forum. Who are the atheists gonna argue with if you’re not here?! 😉

I added that I thought it had become more of, not only a Christians versus atheists forum, but also a Christian versus Christian forum (arguments over Christian doctrine).

There really do seem to be fewer of “the rest of us” around these days, don’t you think (or, like me, the others seem to spend less time here than once upon a time)? So when “you guys” are gone, there’s a quietus.

Example: If I choose not to post on Shabbos (Friday evening to Saturday evening, for whatever reason), that is not going to have much of an impact on the number of posts that day. On the other hand, if all the Christians choose not to post on Sunday, that is likely to be a rather “dry” day. It’s just a matter of numbers.

By the way: a happy and healthful Christmas to you and yours.
  6. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 02:33
    One of the peculiarities I've noticed on this forum (and commented on) is the continued visitation by those who otherwise consistently broadcast their disdain for all things spiritual.

It begs the question, why?

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I also noticed how, on one of the pinnacle days related to Christianity, Christmas Day, posting grinds t ...[text shortened]... n? Why the sudden cease-fire?

Last year, one lonely post. Year before, five.

Curious.
    First of all , freaky whoever you are, You're most likely not a Christian and if you are well then wonderful for you if that's what you are and if you are of the contrary then no apologies extended... the reason being a true Christian would never put the words curse and Christmas together in a simple subtitle as you have. Christians all know , everyone of them, that we don't know when Christ was born but we do know that we have been afforded this day, years ago, to celebrate his birth but more importantly too , as others have pointed out , to be with family,loved ones, have some egg nog,have a few drinks, eat more than you should, shovel your crotchety old neighbors driveway out with a smile,spread some good will toward men and for God's sake do yourself and your family a favor and stay off the blogs ,websites, interacting with faceless ,nameless people like us and embrace those who are true to you and that look up to you for respect and love. Be a human being on that day to all of God's creatures whether they be Chritians ,Jews,Atheists,who cares, no one person is better than anyother person. One shouldn't think of that day as a day that some people beleive in and others don't. If you are one to want to say Merry Christmas at the top of your lungs to everyone on the planet that day then don't hold back man, do it till your hearts content!
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 05:27
    Originally posted by big bern
    First of all , freaky whoever you are, You're most likely not a Christian and if you are well then wonderful for you if that's what you are and if you are of the contrary then no apologies extended... the reason being a true Christian would never put the words curse and Christmas together in a simple subtitle as you have. Christians all know , everyone of t ...[text shortened]... veryone on the planet that day then don't hold back man, do it till your hearts content!
    Good golly, big bern, your post is just a cauldron of all manner of problems, eh?

First of all , freaky whoever you are...
    First of all, I was under the impression that our avatars and pseudonyms were purposely structured to afford anonymity. There are a few herein who know my given name, my personal email and even my cell number. Of course, I don't give the same out willy-nilly, but I noticed your name (on the surface) doesn't seem to be your actual given name either. Your exasperation at the use of a tongue-in-cheek moniker as I employ is perplexing.

You're most likely not a Christian...
    Was it the tattoo-ed "666" on my forehead which gave it away? You know, my personal life coach keeps telling me I need to grow out my bangs.

and if you are well then wonderful for you if that's what you are and if you are
    You know, I'm not aware of too many things, but you are starting to sound eerily similar to a certain Edie Brickell song... I just... can't... put my finger... on it.

...the reason being a true Christian would never put the words curse and Christmas together in a simple subtitle as you have.
    Ah, but therein lies the rub, my simple friend: this was no simple subtitle. This was a subtitle rife with all manner of under currents and sleight-of-hand contextual messages.

If you are one to want to say Merry Christmas at the top of your lungs to everyone on the planet that day then don't hold back man, do it till your hearts content!
    And what if, as is the precedent of this here forum, no one is here to hear me say "Merry Christmas at the top of your lungs?' Will it mean that much less? Hmm?
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 05:32
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Well, someone pointed out in another thread that the Spirituality Forum has mostly become a Christians versus atheists forum. Who are the atheists gonna argue with if you’re not here?! 😉

I added that I thought it had become more of, not only a Christians versus atheists forum, but also a Christian versus Christian forum (arguments over Christian doct ...[text shortened]... ’s just a matter of numbers.

Who are the atheists gonna argue with if you’re not here?! 😉
    Whatever other concept threatens their tenuous grasp of reality?

... but also a Christian versus Christian forum (arguments over Christian doctrine).
    Kinda lends credence to the axiom that all of our conversation is confrontation, huh.

There really do seem to be fewer of “the rest of us” around these days, don’t you think (or, like me, the others seem to spend less time here than once upon a time)? So when “you guys” are gone, there’s a quietus.
    It's funny how you so often say what I was already thinking for you. Dude, we gotta be at least twin nephews of a different uncle!

And God's grace to you during this reflective season... in spite of yourself! 😉
  9. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 12:481 edit
    Good golly, big bern, your post is just a cauldron of all manner of problems, eh?

[b]First of all , freaky whoever you are...

First of all, I was under the impression that our avatars and pseudonyms were purposely structured to afford anonymity. There are a few herein who know my given name, my personal email and even my cell number. Of course, e say "Merry Christmas at the top of your lungs?' Will it mean that much less? Hmm?[/b]
    The declaration of the Bible is called divine revelation. As such, it represents knowledge otherwise unavailable to man, and only accessible by the will of God. You have no reason to not believe in the transmission of the same. You may not believe the message, but you cannot possibly hope to dismiss its deliverance.
    If the above sounds vaguely familiar it should... it is yours. I took the libertyofreviewing some of your posts. I am here to tell you that my initial take on the ..... of Christmas was mispercieved. You are indeed one that is clearly aligned with my direct way of thinking. I apologize if i sounded a bit harsh. I do, however, still stand on my point regarding posting,internet,blah blah blah on Christmas. Maybe Iam selfish and just want a day off from tech.regards, Bern. p.s. it's my real nickname!
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 23:11
    The declaration of the Bible is called divine revelation. As such, it represents knowledge otherwise unavailable to man, and only accessible by the will of God. You have no reason to not believe in the transmission of the same. You may not believe the message, but you cannot possibly hope to dismiss its deliverance.
    If the above sounds vaguely familiar ...[text shortened]... Maybe Iam selfish and just want a day off from tech.regards, Bern. p.s. it's my real nickname!
    You know, that bit you posted was so insightful, so concise and written with obvious precision, I was certain it was something I'd written at some point!

I am here to tell you that my initial take on the ..... of Christmas was mispercieved. You are indeed one that is clearly aligned with my direct way of thinking.
    Well, good thing that tattoo was henna, eh?

I apologize if i sounded a bit harsh.
    It's nearly impossible to take anything on here personally, as most folks don personas far afield than their walking-about personalities; it's kind of a given that their posts may sometimes follow that lead.

I do, however, still stand on my point regarding posting,internet,blah blah blah on Christmas.
    My underlying point had mulitple fronts. The purpose of the thread title was to cause scandal. Most folks who have frequented here for any amount of time pretty much know my stance toward all things spiritual, and the idea was to pique curiousity.

The curse has more to do what appears to be compromise on the part of the vocal unbelievers: if Christ means nothing, the remaining trappings of the season don't seem to offer enough compelling reason to establish a cease-fire.

No one can pretend to know what significance is held by another toward any particular day. BUT... if I were an atheist who was as uncomfortable in that position as those who hang out here clearly are, on priniciple alone, I think I'd still be ranting on that holy day.

p.s. it's my real nickname!
    That oughta count for something!
    The only similarity between me and my moniker is the Freaky part: at least, that's what my wife tells me nearly every day...
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    15 Dec '09 23:47
    [b]Who are the atheists gonna argue with if you’re not here?! 😉
    Whatever other concept threatens their tenuous grasp of reality?

... but also a Christian versus Christian forum (arguments over Christian doctrine).
    Kinda lends credence to the axiom that all of our conversation is confrontation, huh.

There really do seem to be fewer ...[text shortened]... d yours.
    And God's grace to you during this reflective season... in spite of yourself! 😉[/b]
    Dude, we gotta be at least twin nephews of a different uncle!

LOL! Yep! You and I have argued and argued and argued over the years, till we could probably write each other’s posts (well, I might cheat if I think you’re not looking 😉 ). We have seldom agreed (though from time to time we have), and have been apt to disagree sharply—and yet remain friends.

You tend to lighten-up a bit quicker than I do—but that’s good for me.

Be well, cuz!
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Dec '09 15:091 edit
    First of all , freaky whoever you are, You're most likely not a Christian and if you are well then wonderful for you if that's what you are and if you are of the contrary then no apologies extended... the reason being a true Christian would never put the words curse and Christmas together in a simple subtitle as you have. Christians all know , everyone of t veryone on the planet that day then don't hold back man, do it till your hearts content!
    You are a very good example of whats wrong with Christians today. The first mistake is in thinking that celebrating Christmas is a virtue and condoned or recommended by Christ. It never was. Christmas is simply a manmade celebration that caters for mans vanity .. all in the name of Christ. The only ritual Christ asked us to perform is to break bread and drink wine in remembrance of Him. His disciples did that weekly. Do you? .. weekly, monthly, yearly ? or not at all.

Christ asked us to be charitable and to do good deeds all year, not just on Christmas day, and not just to get presents in return.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 01:53
    Yea h I could see how it may be a bit of a curse. But I'm getting better at it every year.
    I'll be here xmas day. Reading the forums and making moves.
    Then I'll go over to my neighbours place and have a drink with him.
    Then its off to my mums place to eat and drink and deliver my pitiful presents.

But later I'll be back . To read and move and possibly post again.
    Its just another day...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 02:08
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yea h I could see how it may be a bit of a curse. But I'm getting better at it every year.
    I'll be here xmas day. Reading the forums and making moves.
    Then I'll go over to my neighbours place and have a drink with him.
    Then its off to my mums place to eat and drink and deliver my pitiful presents.

But later I'll be back . To read and move and possibly post again.
    Its just another day...
    its interesting that you state, 'pitiful presents', for i think the commercial aspect has many people under pressure, especially if they have kids.
  15. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '09 13:20
    You know, that bit you posted was so insightful, so concise and written with obvious precision, I was certain it was something I'd written at some point!

[b]I am here to tell you that my initial take on the ..... of Christmas was mispercieved. You are indeed one that is clearly aligned with my direct way of thinking.

Well, good thing that tattoo wa ...[text shortened]... my moniker is the Freaky part: at least, that's what my wife tells me nearly every day...[/b]
    Thanks for that (unFreaky) kbh. bern.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree