1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 17:18
    One of the peculiarities I've noticed on this forum (and commented on) is the continued visitation by those who otherwise consistently broadcast their disdain for all things spiritual.

It begs the question, why?

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I also noticed how, on one of the pinnacle days related to Christianity, Christmas Day, posting grinds to a halt. To be expected for sure from those on here who espouse to be Christians, but what does this say about those avowed atheists and/or non-Christian? Why the sudden cease-fire?

Last year, one lonely post. Year before, five.

Curious.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 17:39
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    One of the peculiarities I've noticed on this forum (and commented on) is the continued visitation by those who otherwise consistently broadcast their disdain for all things spiritual.

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I also noticed how, on one of the pinnacle days related to Christianity, Christmas Day, posting grinds t ...[text shortened]... n? Why the sudden cease-fire?

Curious.
    Maybe the atheist are busy doing their Christmas shopping?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 21:45

Perhaps related, perhaps not, but I also noticed how, on one of the pinnacle days related to Christianity, Christmas Day, posting grinds t ...[text shortened]... n? Why the sudden cease-fire?

Curious.
    You are asking why the forum is quiet on Christmas Day?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 21:52
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You are asking why the forum is quiet on Christmas Day?
    Um, what?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 21:581 edit
    you must remember Freaky, that many may be in a divided households, or have children to which they seem obliged to provide gifts for, for while our atheist friends may profess atheism, it does not mean that their partners or their wives and family also do. Plus i remember last year asking our friends if they celebrated Christmas and they were only too glad to get sometime off from work and rest up with the family. Why should they stand to be criticised for doing so, for its not like Christmas has really essentially anything to do with what Christ taught. nor the example he led. Its well known that its essentially a pagan festival and thus our atheist friends have as much right and as much claim on it as those who profess to be Christians do, perhaps even more so.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Dec '09 22:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you must remember Freaky, that many may be in a divided households, or have children to which they seem obliged to provide gifts for, for while our atheist friends may profess atheism, it does not mean that their partners or their wives and family also do. Plus i remember last year asking our friends if they celebrated Christmas and they were only t ...[text shortened]... ch right and as much claim on it as those who profess to be Christians do, perhaps even more so.
    Rec'd.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 00:40
    Well said RC.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 01:42
    you must remember Freaky, that many may be in a divided households, or have children to which they seem obliged to provide gifts for, for while our atheist friends may profess atheism, it does not mean that their partners or their wives and family also do. Plus i remember last year asking our friends if they celebrated Christmas and they were only t ...[text shortened]... ch right and as much claim on it as those who profess to be Christians do, perhaps even more so.
    Will you please refrain from posting text which i agree with?!

It just doesn't feel right.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 02:14
    One, there was nothing akin to criticism in the post; I merely pointed something out that seems curious. Given the venom spewed by most toward Christianity, it is hard to reconcile what (on the surface) appears to be at least a tacit approval of the holiday with the antagonism on view the other 364 days of the year.

Two, although, indeed, the holiday has its roots in questionable pagan celebrations, its contemporary iteration is one of a decidedly Christian nature, namely, the celebration of the miracle of the birth of the Messiah.

Even if the majority of people herein are celebrating the holiday for its more mundane aspects (gift giving, general warm fuzziness and etc.), it's still a little unusual to see such a complete close of business, as it were.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 02:40
    One, there was nothing akin to criticism in the post; I merely pointed something out that seems curious. Given the venom spewed by most toward Christianity, it is hard to reconcile what (on the surface) appears to be at least a tacit approval of the holiday with the antagonism on view the other 364 days of the year.

Two, although, indeed, the holiday h ...[text shortened]... ss and etc.), it's still a little unusual to see such a complete close of business, as it were.
    shhhhhh between you and me, they are in denial!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 02:581 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Will you please refrain from posting text which i agree with?!

It just doesn't feel right.
    lol guys, we were so mean to you last year, that i think we must cut you some loose 🙂
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '09 09:17
    Um, what?
    I said, "you are asking why the forum is quiet on Christmas Day?". I'm just checking that that is what you were asking in your OP.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 14:37
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I said, "you are asking why the forum is quiet on Christmas Day?". I'm just checking that that is what you were asking in your OP.
    Yes.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 15:00

Curious.
    The forum is for discussing things pertaining to spirituality, whether it be pro or con. It is not in any way restricted to those who are theists. Nobody would post here at all if it was only theists patting themselves on the back.

As an atheist, I celebrate Christmas in a secular way. It's a time for family togetherness. For me, it has nothing to do with Jesus. Especially since he wasn't even born on December 25th.
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    14 Dec '09 15:32
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The forum is for discussing things pertaining to spirituality, whether it be pro or con. It is not in any way restricted to those who are theists. Nobody would post here at all if it was only theists patting themselves on the back.

As an atheist, I celebrate Christmas in a secular way. It's a time for family togetherness. For me, it has nothing to do with Jesus. Especially since he wasn't even born on December 25th.
    I agree with most of what you said, except to the part about the lack of posts if is was only theists. If, indeed, the forum was dedicated to nothing more than spirituality--- as opposed to its current dedication to arguing the validity of spirituality--- we would likely see threads that actually got somewhere.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree