Darwin's Birthday

Darwin's Birthday

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
12 Feb 06

Rejoice, rejoice! I invite all enlightened secularists and all intellectually stunted christian reactionaries to join me in celebrating the birthday of Charles Darwin, born on this day in 1809 (the same birthday as Abraham Lincoln). For more things Darwin, you can go to:

http://www.darwinday.org/

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
12 Feb 06
2 edits

Originally posted by rwingett
Rejoice, rejoice! I invite all enlightened secularists and all intellectually stunted christian reactionaries to join me in celebrating the birthday of Charles Darwin, born on this day in 1809 (the same birthday as Abraham Lincoln). For more things Darwin, you can go to:

http://www.darwinday.org/
Intellectually stunted? I guess I qualify.

Indeed, let's celebrate the man who knowingly or unknowingly gave ideological permission for genocide, racism and eugenics.

P

Moves
12 Feb 06

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😠

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Intellectually stunted? I guess I qualify.

Indeed, let's celebrate the man who knowingly or unknowingly gave ideological permission for genocide, racism and eugenics.
Riiiiiiiight. Cuz those things were never encouraged thousands of years before in say . . . uh . . . the Hebrew Bible???

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
12 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by telerion
Riiiiiiiight. Cuz those things were never encouraged thousands of years before in say . . . uh . . . the Hebrew Bible???
Lol, one would be hard put to find biblical support for eugenics. As for the other two: thankfully we aren't living a couple thousand years ago.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
12 Feb 06

Lol, one would be hard put to find biblical support for eugenics. As for the other two: thankfully we aren't living a couple thousand years ago.
Ok so it's a bit short of full-blown eugenics, but there are a lot of commands not to mix with other cultures, and much is made of keeping the Hebrews pure.

Still it's more than unfair to place all that crap on Darwin. His theory doesn't support it any more than does the Big Bang. Nowadays the only people that spin eugenics, racism, and genocide from Darwin are Creationists trying to distort science.

TM

Moves
12 Feb 06

Indeed, let's celebrate the man who knowingly or unknowingly gave ideological permission for genocide, racism
Jesus?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by Will Everitt
Jesus?
I'm afraid you have a lot to learn.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
12 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by telerion
Ok so it's a bit short of full-blown eugenics, but there are a lot of commands not to mix with other cultures, and much is made of keeping the Hebrews pure.

Still it's more than unfair to place all that crap on Darwin. His theory doesn't support it any more than does the Big Bang. Nowadays the only people that spin eugenics, racism, and genocide from Darwin are Creationists trying to distort science.
Na-ah. Here's the full title of the innocent sounding "Origin of Species": On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. The emphasis is my own, but this doesn't need a long shot in deducting the gist. This particular scientific theory had ethical ramifications.

Moves
12 Feb 06

Originally posted by Will Everitt
Jesus?
Matthew 5:44 - But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
12 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Peachy
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😠
I'm confused; at whom is this directed?

Moves
12 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by royalchicken
I'm confused; at whom is this directed?
Darwin? I doubt he would hear him. :'(

Edit: Or is that the the Arabic way of saying happy birthday?

TM

Moves
12 Feb 06

I'm afraid you have a lot to learn.
There have been holy wars have there not? The crusades. He might not of wanted them but there have been wars to do with him indirectly. The need to be in control of the holy land.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
12 Feb 06

Na-ah. Here's the full title of the innocent sounding "Origin of Species": On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. The emphasis is my own, but this doesn't need a long shot in deducting the gist. This particular scientific theory had ethical ramifications.
Darwin was thinking of the human race. It was Herbert W, Spencer that perverted his idea to define "favored race" as the English, as opposed to the Irish (for example), and the white races as opposed to the black (for example), and that gave rise to the work of Darwin's cousin Sir Francis Galton, and the rise of eugenics, and the Anglo and American perversions of Piaget's notions of intelligence testing, as it still exists today.

Stephen Jay Gould, The Mismeasure of Man summarizes this checkered history better than any other single volume.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
12 Feb 06

Here's the TalkOrigins explaination, and from googling around it also appears to be the common explaination that I'm getting from scholarly hits.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA005_2.html

Basically "race" means variety, not skin color. Given the liberty you guys take with the Bible to make words not say exactly what they seem to, it's kinda telling that you don't even bother to check out the context on this one.