1. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    12 Feb '06 21:59
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Darwin? I doubt he would hear him. :'(

Edit: Or is that the the Arabic way of saying happy birthday?
    No no.. its a BOO by all sense of the word.. in English..

boo1 (b&#363๐Ÿ˜‰ pronunciation
    n., pl. boos.

1. A sound uttered to show contempt, scorn, or disapproval.
    2. Informal. Any sound or word: You never said boo to me about overtime.

...that one.. directed at the first word of the title.

Spell the beaaaaaans... spell the beaaaaaaaaaans....
  2. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 00:20
    Originally posted by Peachy
    No no.. its a BOO by all sense of the word.. in English..

boo1 (b&#363๐Ÿ˜‰ pronunciation
    n., pl. boos.

1. A sound uttered to show contempt, scorn, or disapproval.
    2. Informal. Any sound or word: You never said boo to me about overtime.

...that one.. directed at the first word of the title.

Spell the beaaaaaans... spell the beaaaaaaaaaans....
    Why does Darwin deserve BOOing? For inventing a false 'truth' or for exposing a real truth which makes you uncomfortable?
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 06:13
    Originally posted by telerion
    Here's the TalkOrigins explaination, and from googling around it also appears to be the common explaination that I'm getting from scholarly hits.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA005_2.html

Basically "race" means variety, not skin color. Given the liberty you guys take with the Bible to make words not say exactly what they seem to, it's kinda telling that you don't even bother to check out the context on this one.
    I've found TalkOrigins to be obfuscatory on more than one occasion. The site is hardly the beacon of unbiased discussion.

Whatever Darwin's "race" intention was, it was certainly used/abused in many an ideology to excuse/explain their horrendous crimes.

Are you suggesting that the TOE has in no way impacted our view of morality?

P.S. you take great liberty in knowing what I do/don't do with my religious convictions.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 07:52
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Intellectually stunted? I guess I qualify.

Indeed, let's celebrate the man who knowingly or unknowingly gave ideological permission for genocide, racism and eugenics.
    So by your logic Einstein should apologise to the Japanese for Hiroshima? No theory of relativity, no atomic bomb. In fact, I think you'll find that Mendel's work (around the same time) shows that eugenics doesn't work (because of recessive alleles). Thus anyone with an understanding of even 1861 genetics and evolutionary theory could tell you that eugenics doesn't work!!!
  5. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 07:54
    Na-ah. Here's the full title of the innocent sounding "Origin of Species": On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. The emphasis is my own, but this doesn't need a long shot in deducting the gist. This particular scientific theory had ethical ramifications.
    You are forcing words into Darwin's mouth. Favoured races basically means the evolutionary 'fittest'. Anyhoo, you're judging someone from 150 years ago by todays standards. Why don't we judge American christians by the fact that Blacks were 2nd class citizens up until 50 years ago, or that US christains kept slaves?
  6. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 12:14
    Whatever Darwin's "race" intention was, it was certainly used/abused in many an ideology to excuse/explain their horrendous crimes.
    The same abuse of the bible has been commited hundreds of times (crusades, holy wars and burning of witches). I'm sure you're not going to tell us that the bible in itself is a bad thing and that christ actually encourages us to commit such acts.
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulรคrer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 12:321 edit
    Intellectually stunted? I guess I qualify.

Indeed, let's celebrate the man who knowingly or unknowingly gave ideological permission for genocide, racism and eugenics.
    I guess you do, today. "Ideological permission". Pathetic.

You don't normally trot out such trite, contemptible little sound bleats. Perhaps astrology is to blame for your intellectual nadir coinciding with Darwin's birthday.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 14:33
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Darwin was thinking of the human race. It was Herbert W, Spencer that perverted his idea to define "favored race" as the English, as opposed to the Irish (for example), and the white races as opposed to the black (for example), and that gave rise to the work of Darwin's cousin Sir Francis Galton, and the rise of eugenics, and the Anglo and American perversio ...[text shortened]... Mismeasure of Man[/i] summarizes this checkered history better than any other single volume.
    Indeed. Darwin was quite "non-racist" as far as that goes. My problem lies with the moral/ideological implications/perversions of his theory.
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 14:35
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I guess you do, today. "Ideological permission". Pathetic.

You don't normally trot out such trite, contemptible little sound bleats. Perhaps astrology is to blame for your intellectual nadir coinciding with Darwin's birthday.
    Did I strike the right chord? Judging from your reaction, my statement should have been in the "religious jokes" thread.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 14:432 edits
    Indeed. Darwin was quite "non-racist" as far as that goes. My problem lies with the moral/ideological implications/perversions of his theory.
    Perversions of Darwin's notions of natural selection have enabled far fewer evils than perversions of the scriptures (or even plain sense readings of certain scriptures). The theory of evolution is supported by overwhelming evidence. As with any truth, people have sought to force it to conform to prejudices they carried before they knew of the theory. In the case of racism, for instance, these prejudices had a long history of biblical support (perverse bible reading IMHO) before Darwin came on the scene.

If you object to natural selection because H.W. Spencer and his disciples perverted it, what truths can you embrace? I submit that there are none.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 15:26
    I've found TalkOrigins to be obfuscatory on more than one occasion. The site is hardly the beacon of unbiased discussion.

Are you suggesting that the TOE has in no way impacted our view of morality?

P.S. you take great liberty in knowing what I do/don't do with my religious convictions.
    Your backpedaling . . .

TalkOrigins has one up though. While it is biased, it is biased and extremely well-educated on the issue. The education leads to the bias in this case, because in science their are not always two-sides to every story. If you don't understand what they're saying, that's your own fault. I figured given the Creationist propaganda you eagerly embrace, obfuscation would be a bonus in your book.

Anyway if it is your unbiased opinion that we should not celebrate Darwin's memory because some people have tried to use his big idea to justify their selfish motives, then by the same reasoning, you should be out passionately protesting Christmas.

Let's call a spade a spade. You don't like the implications of evolution, not because you've found serious holes in it or because some people have misapplied it, but rather because you haven't found a way to make it jive with your superstition. For that reason, no matter what science or logic you have to step upon, you will attack every semblance of evolution.
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 16:34
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Perversions of Darwin's notions of natural selection have enabled far fewer evils than perversions of the scriptures (or even plain sense readings of certain scriptures). The theory of evolution is supported by overwhelming evidence. As with any truth, people have sought to force it to conform to prejudices they carried before they knew of the theory. In the ...[text shortened]... ncer and his disciples perverted it, what truths can you embrace? I submit that there are none.
    Perversions of Darwin's notions of natural selection have enabled far fewer evils than perversions of the scriptures (or even plain sense readings of certain scriptures).

I think that would only be the case because of the huge difference in the time these two compared entities have been around.

The theory of evolution is supported by overwhelming evidence.

If you mean microevolution, then you have my complete agreement.

As with any truth, people have sought to force it to conform to prejudices they carried before they knew of the theory. In the case of racism, for instance, these prejudices had a long history of biblical support (perverse bible reading IMHO) before Darwin came on the scene.

Yep.

If you object to natural selection because H.W. Spencer and his disciples perverted it, what truths can you embrace? I submit that there are none.

I don't object to anything (in this thread anyway). I was merely making a point.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 16:37
    What a coincidence. It's Darvin's Birthday today. ๐Ÿ˜
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 16:42
    Originally posted by darvlay
    What a coincidence. It's Dar[b]vin's Birthday today. ๐Ÿ˜[/b]
    Today or yesterday?

Happy Birthday either way.

Psst . . . It's my birthday tomorrow . . .
  15. London
    Moves
    13 Feb '06 16:44
    Originally posted by telerion
    Today or yesterday?

Happy Birthday either way.

Psst . . . It's my birthday tomorrow . . .
    Don't tell anyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree