Dasa

Dasa

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
01 Oct 11

I eat meat because I am a predator who was made to eat meat. If you look at your teeth you will notice that you have two sharp teath symetrical to eachother that are used for shearing flesh off of bone. Why were we created with the ability to hunt and with the teeth to eat meat if we are not allowed to kill primitive life forms for sustenance?

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
01 Oct 11

Your argument makes sense on the surface, but, actually our teeth is a poor example for supporting the idea that humans are natural carnivores. In fact, it's the vegetarians that use our teeth, specifically our molars, as evidence to support the idea that we are natural plant eaters.

t

Moves
01 Oct 11

Originally posted by sumydid
Your argument makes sense on the surface, but, actually our teeth is a poor example for supporting the idea that humans are natural carnivores. In fact, it's the vegetarians that use our teeth, specifically our molars, as evidence to support the idea that we are natural plant eaters.
We are called omnivores because we have incisors and canines. Your canines are useless if you don't eat meat.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
01 Oct 11

Well, thanks a lot for starting this thread.

Now I'm craving a ribeye steak... Pittsburgh Medium, as always. Can't top that.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Oct 11

Why do you name this thread "Dasa"?

Seems me and Dasa have at least two things in common,(but even on the finer points of these we disadree), which are vgetarianism and hinduism .
That said I would say something like this : When the humans branched off from the other mammals (they weren't called "humans" then), the Great Spirit chose to make a certain species more intelligent so it could become self-concious , hence us today. We have inheritted many of the characteristics and basic building blocks as the animals that we evolved from. (There are two "we's" here. There is the "we" that is the "breath of life" that got "breathed" into our species, and there is the "we" that is the material backrgound that we came from,ie. our physical animal ancestors, a very scizophrenic idea,I know).
The limbic system of the brain, onto which the rest of the brain is grown, seems pretty similar to that of animals, and I bet it could be proved through scientific experiments that humans have the same "fight or flight" response, for example, as animals do.
I would say that you can choose to be a predator, if that's what you want, but truth be told, there have been a great many thousand human years spent on this planet acting totally different from predators. The predator instinct may still be in the person ,(some worse than others), but we have been given a choice. A silent choice. Silent, because we answer through our actions.
I would bet most people have had a "mixed" life. That is the nature of the human lives that are put before us.
I would look to buddhism from here, or myself as well🙂 , and say that to honestly alleviate more suffering in the world we could become vegetarian.
Now if I gave that advice to a murderer I dont think it would really do much, because the karma incurred by killing humans is even worse than that of killing animals.
So I, unlike Dasa, would not advocate vegetarianism the way he does. I dont think any less of anyone for eating meat. Things like that are just not the sort of things that make me passionate.
Thanks ...

F

Moves
02 Oct 11

Here's an interesting extract from a post by Dasa from June 2010 early on in his time in this community:

I will debate any person, of any religion, and set them straight.
But their must be some rules

rule 1. you can not quote from any book

rule 2. if you beleive something, it doesn,t make it fact

rule 3. you must adhere to sensability

rule 4. you must respect logic and reason

And so it goes on.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Oct 11

Originally posted by FMF
Here's an interesting extract from a post by Dasa from June 2010 early on in his time in this community:

[b]I will debate any person, of any religion, and set them straight.

And so it goes on.[/b]
This only applies to others, not Dasa. Get it?

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
02 Oct 11

Originally posted by FMF

[b]I will debate any person, of any religion, and set them straight.

And so it goes on.[/b]
And your point being............?

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
02 Oct 11

Originally posted by tomtom232
I eat meat because I am a predator who was made to eat meat. If you look at your teeth you will notice that you have two sharp teath symetrical to eachother that are used for shearing flesh off of bone. Why were we created with the ability to hunt and with the teeth to eat meat if we are not allowed to kill primitive life forms for sustenance?
You eat meat because you are a slave to your senses.

You believe you have freedom - but being a slave to your senses you have taken away your choice to eat meat or not eat meat.

While you are a slave you are not free.

F

Moves
02 Oct 11

Originally posted by Dasa
And your point being............?
For instance, the first "rule": why do you quote from a book when you say that others may not?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
For instance, the first "rule": why do you quote from a book when you say that others may not?
The Vedanta Sutra is not a book. It is the mouth-piece of god.

Persons not believing this truth are dishonest and lack intelligence.

I cannot lie.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
02 Oct 11

Originally posted by divegeester
The Vedanta Sutra is not a book. It is the mouth-piece of god.

Persons not believing this truth are dishonest and lack intelligence.

I cannot lie.
You just did.

Hope that helps.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
02 Oct 11

Originally posted by sumydid
You just did.

Hope that helps.
Hello...

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Oct 11

You believe you have freedom - but being a slave to your senses you have taken away your choice to eat meat or not eat meat.

Some people are a slave to cigarettes. Some to a type of drug.
Some to their religious belief. All to sin.
Only Yahshus (Jesus) can make us free.

t

Moves
02 Oct 11

I actually only eat fish and poultry which is not considered meat by the meat packing companies.