Dawkins supports eugenics.

Dawkins supports eugenics.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
You're a very smart guy, Halitose, so you know that there is no possible way to argue logically from any set of purely descriptive claims (such as those that comprise evolutionary theory) to any single normative claim regarding eugenics or any other topic for that matter.

I'm not familiar with the article you cite; but I don't see anything in what you ...[text shortened]... ng here about persuasion towards a normative outlook against eugenics, isn't he?
...there is no possible way to argue logically from any set of purely descriptive claims (such as those that comprise evolutionary theory) to any single normative claim regarding eugenics or any other topic for that matter.

Agreed. Eugenics (as a normative proposition) cannot be derived from evolution by any form of rigorous deductive reasoning. That, however, is not my point; and herein lies the rub: eugenics is perfectly consistent with a materialistic evolutionary perspective. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for the prejudice produced by the Nazi Aktion T4 program, I suggest it would sit quite nicely with the liberal academia. The problem is not that the naturalistic fallacy is invoked to reach the conclusion of eugenics, but that breeding and the selection of useful traits is integral to evolutionary theory.

(As an aside: my hero and defender of mankind, Peter Singer, advocates that HIV research would be better served experimenting on brain-dead humans than on chimps*. I've alluded to a slippery slope previously, so I'll keep that one for later. Screw the Nuremberg Code.)

I'm not familiar with the article you cite;

Sorry. Forgot to site my source: http://www.sundayherald.com/life/people/display.var.1031440.0.eugenics_may_not_be_bad.php

...but I don't see anything in what you have quoted showing that Dawkins explicitly "supports" this sort of eugenics.

You sure? Unless the title is some subtle sarcasm, it's a dead giveaway. Except if by "sort" you mean "T4-style" eugenics??

He's talking here about persuasion towards a normative outlook against eugenics, isn't he?

Hmmmm... I couldn't say for sure; he seems a little vague. 🙂

* http://www.evolutionpublishing.com.au/sxnews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=381&Itemid=40

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
23 Nov 06

Hal: The problem is not that the naturalistic fallacy is invoked to reach the conclusion of eugenics, but that breeding and the selection of useful traits is integral to evolutionary theory.

How's that a "problem"? And which one of Dawkins' examples "mathematical, musical, athletic" is a "useful" trait according to evolutionary theory?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Hal: The problem is not that the naturalistic fallacy is invoked to reach the conclusion of eugenics, but that breeding and the selection of useful traits is integral to evolutionary theory.

How's that a "problem"? And which one of Dawkins' examples "mathematical, musical, athletic" is a "useful" trait according to evolutionary theory?
How's that a "problem"?

Uhm... well... From a purely evolutionary perspective (without a superior framework of morals to override or restrict), eugenics is a forgone conclusion.

And which one of Dawkins' examples "mathematical, musical, athletic" is a "useful" trait according to evolutionary theory?

All three could possibly be useful traits depending on the given environment. The athletic one is the classical example: run faster... avoid predators... catch prey, etc.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I did. Twice.
You dodged the question, marauder ..... but you're dodging is more telling perhaps than your eventual answer.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
OK. What is it?
What do you mean ? I stated that using gene-technologies to battle and cure diseases isn't considered to be an instance of eugenics.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Taken from the 11/19/06 edition of Scotland's Sunday Herald where Richard Dawkins writes the following in an article entitled "Eugenics May Not Be Bad":

"IN the 1920s and 1930s, scientists from both the political left and right would not have found the idea of designer babies particularly dangerous--though of course they would not have used tha ...[text shortened]... stop being frightened even to put the question?"

What say the Dawkinians?
I wonder what eugenics has to do with "spirituality". The issue should be in the "Debates" forum.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Where do I register for Dawkins camp? What kind of stuff goes on there?
There's a Joy Division.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06
4 edits

[b]...there is no possible way to argue logically from any set of purely descriptive claims (such as those that comprise evolutionary theory) to any single normative claim regarding eugenics or any other topic for that matter.

Agreed. Eugenics (as a normative proposition) cannot be derived from evolution by any form of rigorous deductive reasoning. T npublishing.com.au/sxnews/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=381&Itemid=40[/b]
Halititose: "(As an aside: my hero and defender of mankind, Peter Singer, advocates that HIV research would be better served experimenting on brain-dead humans than on chimps*.

Peter Singer is your hero ? The one who does't mind killing unborn ànd born handicapped children who are non-persons á la Singer ?

Defender of mankind ? I guess the handicapped people have different feelings about your "hero".

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by ivanhoe
I wonder what eugenics has to do with "spirituality". The issue should be in the "Debates" forum.
Yeah... Force of habit, I guess.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
There's a Joy Division.
... and for dessert they serve a bombe of "assisted suicide" as the most rational and humane act you can think of.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
23 Nov 06

Halititose: "(As an aside: my hero and defender of mankind, Peter Singer, advocates that HIV research would be better served experimenting on brain-dead humans than on chimps*.

Peter Singer is your hero ? The one who does't mind killing unborn ànd born handicapped children who are non-persons á la Singer ?

Defender of mankind ? I guess the handicapped people have different feelings about your "hero".
I was being sarcastic; I have a profound dislike for Singer's views.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06

... and for dessert they serve a bombe of "assisted suicide" as the most rational and humane act you can think of.
You're a Dawkins camper too?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06
1 edit

I was being sarcastic; I have a profound dislike for Singer's views.
That is quite a relief ... I thought we got another case of Singeritis to treat here ..... 😛

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
23 Nov 06

Originally posted by Palynka
You're a Dawkins camper too?
Sure, I'm a great fan of his professsional arrogance and learned ignorance.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Nov 06

Sure, I'm a great fan of his professsional arrogance and learned ignorance.
Idolater.