1. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 03:19
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Really this debate is stuck on (a) whether you require something to have ACTUAL power in order to be defined as a 'god', or (b) whether it simply has to be something that is ASCRIBED power by those who worship it.

I went with (b). Rwingett clearly wants to use (a). The debate isn't going to get very far unless we resolve this preliminary issue.

It's interesting, though, that it's the atheists who seem most keen on using (a).
    Yes, it is interesting, and I'm willing to go with either (a) or (b). I just thought it was silly to get hung up on these word games.

If a god is a wonder bra, then yes, a god exists.
    If a god is a toothbrush, then yes, a god exists.
    If a god is a block of wood, then yes, a god exists.
    If a god is a star, then yes, a god exists.

If a god is an omnipotent, omniscient, loving Creator who has made man to be the pinnacle of his creation and desires nothing more than to sit around for eternity in what must be unfathomably dull conversation with us and receive unending worship from us, then I really really really doubt a god exists.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 05:011 edit
    I think a far more interesting question is "Can evidence of God's existence or lack of existence exist?".
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 07:35
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I think a far more interesting question is "Can evidence of God's existence or lack of existence exist?".
    You need to know what to look for, what kind of finger print does
    God leave? If you do not know, it could be right in front of you
    every day, and you'd miss it.
    Kelly
  4. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 09:49
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    Like child leukemia?
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 10:38
    Kelly
    If various educated people can look at the evidence and come to varied correct interpretations of reality based on that evidence then it isn't evidence of anything.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 13:45
    If various educated people can look at the evidence and come to varied correct interpretations of reality based on that evidence then it isn't evidence of anything.
    You did read my post?
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 13:54
    You did read my post?
    Kelly
    Yes. You were claiming that the evidence of God is there I just have to open my eyes or some crap. For one it's funny that you should be telling anyone to open their eyes let alone me. For another my comment was in fact related to yours.

I see what you call evidence and find that it isn't evidence for God at all.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 14:00
    Yes, assuming we have a coherant definition of what this god is, evidence both for and against it can be entered into the ledgers. All this evidence can lean us one way or the other, but it can never fully resolve the question.
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 18:13
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Yes, assuming we have a coherant definition of what this god is, evidence both for and against it can be entered into the ledgers. All this evidence can lean us one way or the other, but it can never fully resolve the question.
    Then you get to a variation of a question I have asked many times of the Intelligent Design people. "What possible state of the world would be incompatible with your god's existence?"
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    Then you get to a variation of a question I have asked many times of the Intelligent Design people. "What possible state of the world would be incompatible with your god's existence?"
    Of course, a great deal of the world's state is incompatible. Assuming we're going with the traditional 3 'O' god. Even though the majority of christians on this site are not bright enough to realise it, their theodicies are wholly inadequate. But while being of great use against a 3 'O' god, the problem of evil loses much of its punch if god is reconceptualized as having only 2 'O's. Pcaspian seems to have been one of the rare theists who actually understands the PoE and put forth an intriguing argument that god is not omnibenevolent.
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 18:48
    The only way to find proof if God exists or not is to kill yourself, God wouldnt want you to kill yourself, therefore if God exists He does not want you to know it, but have faith that he does. therefore why do believers debate it when God does not intend them to find proof?!?
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 19:09
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Of course, a great deal of the world's state is incompatible. Assuming we're going with the traditional 3 'O' god. Even though the majority of christians on this site are not bright enough to realise it, their theodicies are wholly inadequate. But while being of great use against a 3 'O' god, the problem of evil loses much of its punch if god is reconceptua ...[text shortened]... understands the PoE and put forth an intriguing argument that god is not omnibenevolent.
    I'm not even going with the problem of evil. In fact, I'm not identifying any particular inconsistency at all. I'm simply asking the theist if their specific god(s) could be incompatible with any hypothetical state of nature. Often times, they have to concede that the answer is "No." In such a case, their is no evidence for or against their god. Any state of the world would contain zero information about whether or not their god exists.
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 19:32
    Originally posted by mazziewag
    The only way to find proof if God exists or not is to kill yourself
    That's only going to count as proof if god exists.
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 20:47
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, isn't that the saying?
    Your language is your language, and you may call a pencil an apple
    and if everyone does too, it is an apple. It does not changes what
    it is, only what we call it.
    Kelly
    i think your right about your language is your language if you call 5 v or 10 x its still the same value
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    28 Aug '06 22:55
    Originally posted by telerion
    I'm not even going with the problem of evil. In fact, I'm not identifying any particular inconsistency at all. I'm simply asking the theist if their specific god(s) could be incompatible with any hypothetical state of nature. Often times, they have to concede that the answer is "No." In such a case, their is no evidence for or against their god. Any state of the world would contain zero information about whether or not their god exists.
    Excellent point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree