God exists...True, or false?
    Which god?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 15:24
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    God exists...True, or false?
    False. (any god) this is akin to asking 'true or false, is there a teapot orbiting mars?' The only sensible answer is false.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 15:381 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    False. (any god) this is akin to asking 'true or false, is there a teapot orbiting mars?' The only sensible answer is false.
    One could scour the heavens to determine if there were any orbiting teapots around Mars. We could eventually know the answer with 100% certainty. But the existence of a god is inherently untestable and unverifiable and therefore can never be answered 'true' or 'false.' The most that can be said is that it is more likely to be false than true. We can treat the question as though it were false, but we can never know for certain if it really is false. Especially if the definition of god is left open, which is why I asked for a clarification from Dr. S as to what he meant by 'god.'
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 16:46
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I have a piece of wood that was carved up that some could call
    a god, you can touch it, weight it, throw it against the wall, I'd
    call that real. You blanket statement is wrong.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 16:46
    Originally posted by rwingett
    One could scour the heavens to determine if there were any orbiting teapots around Mars. We could eventually know the answer with 100% certainty. But the existence of a god is inherently untestable and unverifiable and therefore can never be answered 'true' or 'false.' The most that can be said is that it is more likely to be false than true. We can treat t ...[text shortened]... ft open, which is why I asked for a clarification from Dr. S as to what he meant by 'god.'
    I agree with you, what are we talking about, or better said, who?
    Kelly
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 16:52
    If god is defined as omnipotent, omniscient, "perfect", etc, I find I can attach little or no meaning to the concept of god (and consequently to sentences asserting or denying the existence of god).
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 16:55
    Originally posted by dottewell
    If god is defined as omnipotent, omniscient, "perfect", etc, I find I can attach little or no meaning to the concept of god (and consequently to sentences asserting or denying the existence of god).
    Not all gods are defined that way, you have God in mind, which is not
    the same thing as god.
    Kelly
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 17:18
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I have a piece of wood that was carved up that some could call
    a god, you can touch it, weight it, throw it against the wall, I'd
    call that real. You blanket statement is wrong.
    Kelly
    A piece of wood is not a god, despite you calling it so. A piece of wood is a piece of wood. It could be carved into a representation of a god, but it is not a god itself.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 17:29
    Originally posted by dottewell
    If a god is specifically defined, you could point out logical contradictions within the definition which would render it either impossible or incoherant. This goes a long way to casting doubt on the existence of that particular god, but will ultimately only get you so far. In the end the most you can conclude is that the person making the definition doesn't know what he's talking about. A god with a different definition could still exist.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 17:311 edit
    A piece of wood is not a god, despite you calling it so. A piece of wood is a piece of wood. It could be carved into a representation of a god, but it is not a god itself.
    So, having something defined as a god does not make it a god?
    That then takes us back to what is a god, or what is God does it not?
    Which was our origional question to begin with.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 17:53
    True. With a big G and a little g.

Especially with a little g. Just about everybody worships something.
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 17:57
    ok, so a piece of wood is not a god just because thats what you call it, then what is a piece of wood? obviously its not a piece of wood just because thats what we call it.

you contradicted yourself.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 18:15
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    ok, so a piece of wood is not a god just because thats what you call it, then what is a piece of wood? obviously its not a piece of wood just because thats what we call it.

you contradicted yourself.
    wood = wood
    god = god

Don't be an idiot.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Aug '06 18:181 edit
    You are right in that the piece of wood is not a god in and of itself. However, it can become a god in the mind of a particular person. This perception then gives this lifeless piece of wood some power over us. In the minds of men, perception becomes reality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree