1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 02:33
    I have a Webster's daily use dictionary here in front of me, I use it because I can't spell, copyright 1932. It gives the definition of the word debate as; to contend for in words or arguments; meditate upon; deliberate together.

Now I came across this forum about a month ago and dived in with what I thought was a genuine interest in the debate. But I soon discovered that this is anything but a debate. At least most of it.
    In my opinion it seems that alot of you are so thoroughly fixed in your mindset that all you do is talk in circles just to make the other look and sound foolish.

My question is, is there anyone out there that has a sincere interest in debating about spiritual matters? If not then why do you post here? Is it just a convenient place for you to vent your hatred of a God you don't even believe in?

I must not be too smart because I don't think anyone with any intelligence would even join in this debate if they knew what some of you were saying!
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 02:59
    Originally posted by josephw
    I have a Webster's daily use dictionary here in front of me, I use it because I can't spell, copyright 1932. It gives the definition of the word debate as; to contend for in words or arguments; meditate upon; deliberate together.

Now I came across this forum about a month ago and dived in with what I thought was a genuine interest in the debate. But I soo ...[text shortened]... h any intelligence would even join in this debate if they knew what some of you were saying!
    Isn't your last sentence a little judgmental?

Here's the reality of these forums: this is an internet site and people can jump in and say whatever they feel. In a formal debate you usually have two people who research an issue or idea and have a structure in which to present it. That does not exists here. There are some who use this "debate" forum to preach and save souls. That isn't a debate either.

My suggestion is that you find people who you have experienced in the forums as worthy of your debate and play them a game of chess and debate the issue over a friendly game of chess.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 03:391 edit

Now I came across this forum about a month ago and dived in with what I thought was a genuine interest in the debate. But I soo h any intelligence would even join in this debate if they knew what some of you were saying!
    I think you are confusing the Spirituality forum with the Debates forum. A couple years ago, the site administrator declared that they shall remain disparate realms of discussion. Do not expect to encounter debate in the Spirituality forum, and refrain from debating God's existence in the Debates forum. That's just the rules.
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 04:00

Now I came across this forum about a month ago and dived in with what I thought was a genuine interest in the debate. But I soo ...[text shortened]... h any intelligence would even join in this debate if they knew what some of you were saying!
    Yes, I have an interest in debating about spiritual matters and yet I'm an atheist. You seem to suggest there's no place for me here.
    Why?
  5. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 04:15
    Originally posted by amannion
    Yes, I have an interest in debating about spiritual matters and yet I'm an atheist. You seem to suggest there's no place for me here.
    Why?
    re-read what he said
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 04:48

The usual arrogant attitude - "Only believers in my God have a sincere interest in discussing spiritual matters."
  7. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 06:14
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The usual arrogant attitude - "Only believers in my God have a sincere interest in discussing spiritual matters."
    That isn't what he said. He said that most people on here are so fixed on what they believe that they won't listen to anything else. Instead, they just "post in circles" and try to make everybody else look stupid.

Hand of Hacate once posted why he attacks Christians who post. He brought up a scenario about when I was talking about hell being in the center of the earth. He attacked. He explained that he did it because I wouldn't get off my belief, and I don't think I did, but that's me. Well, many of you athiests do it too. You attack us without listening to what we said. Like EcstremeVenom said, "re-read the post"
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 07:171 edit
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    That isn't what he said. He said that most people on here are so fixed on what they believe that they won't listen to anything else. Instead, they just "post in circles" and try to make everybody else look stupid.

Hand of Hacate once posted why he attacks Christians who post. He brought up a scenario about when I was talking about hell being in the cent ttack us without listening to what we said. Like EcstremeVenom said, "re-read the post"
    It's exactly what he said. He asked "...why do you post here? Is it just a convenient place for you to vent your hatred of a God you don't even believe in?" (emphasis added)

That question means he is addressing only people who do not believe in his God. Please note how fellow Christians are automatically exempted from his accusation of insincerity.

I notice that several Christians on this forum are uncomfortable with people examining the logical implications of their statements. "Don't put words in my mouth!", they protest. In other words, no one is allowed to examine your beliefs from a different perspective. This is a typical reaction of the dogmatist. You are so used to your favorite catch-phrases that you are almost indifferent to the actual meaning of your words.
  9. Earth
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 07:45

Frankly, there are too many voices, too many distractions. I think a debate is a lot like playing Chess. You take your time to make a move, and then you give the other person the time to make a move. There should not be a third person butting in. This can be done in one of two ways.

1) We can take it off the forum and use messaging
    2) Use the forum but only debate with one person. Others may butt in but the two have to be disciplined enough to ignore them.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 14:49
    Originally posted by amannion
    Why?
    Not at all! I am simply expressing my frustration with those that turn the debate into a platform for name calling, stereo typing, and blaspheming. Some of it is funny, but in my opinion most of it is ignorant.
    Maybe I should be more tolerant.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 14:591 edit
    Not at all! I am simply expressing my frustration with those that turn the debate into a platform for name calling, stereo typing, and blaspheming. Some of it is funny, but in my opinion most of it is ignorant.
    Maybe I should be more tolerant.
    Joseph,

You have just forgotten the first rule of Internet Discussion forums: The quickest way to assemble a group of belligerent atheists and wisecracking agnostics is to start a Forum on Spiritual Beliefs.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 15:01
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I think you are confusing the Spirituality forum with the Debates forum. A couple years ago, the site administrator declared that they shall remain disparate realms of discussion. Do not expect to encounter debate in the Spirituality forum, and refrain from debating God's existence in the Debates forum. That's just the rules.
    Thanks for the info.
    I looked in the debates forum and I can see no difference.
    According to the discription of this "spirituality" forum it is about debate of the supernatural, religion, and the life after. That's the topic.
    All I'm saying is that I can't seem to find a coherant discussion.
    Will you define disparate for me?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 15:08
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You are misreading me here. I am not saying that at all. I would never suggest that only believers have a sincere interest. That would be ignorant.
    But it does appear to me that it is some of the unbelievers that are only interested in ridicule and hate speach. Just to be honest.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 15:12
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Joseph,

You have just forgotten the first rule of Internet Discussion forums: The quickest way to assemble a group of belligerent atheists and wisecracking agnostics is to start a Forum on Spiritual Beliefs.
    You are right of course. I have been nieve.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Feb '07 15:15
    Originally posted by Varqa
    Frankly, there are too many voices, too many distractions. I think a debate is a lot like playing Chess. You take your time to make a move, and then you give the other person the time to make a move. There should not be a third person butting in. This can be done in one of two ways.

1) We can take it off the forum and use messaging
    2) Use the forum but onl ...[text shortened]... te with one person. Others may butt in but the two have to be disciplined enough to ignore them.
    Excellent suggestion. I thought of the very same thing myself.
    Is there someway of doing this?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree