Demons and Nephilim

Demons and Nephilim

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 May 15

Originally posted by divegeester
I'm a poor typist, a poor speller and suffer from Apple auto-correct. Hence most of my posts have at least a couple of edits.
You are auto corrected by an apple?

Am sure there is a joke in there somewhere. If it hadn't been such a long day at work i'm sure i could find it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 May 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

Am sure there is a joke in there somewhere. If it hadn't been such a long day at work i'm sure i could find it.
Before I see another ignorant joke or poem.
I shall be goin'
😏

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
11 May 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
I mean you and I each have an individual mind that is normally free to decide what each of us will believe. For example, you have a mind that can decide that you will believe in atheism, while I have a mind that can decide I will believe in Christianity. 😏
Do you think therefore that you could talk yourself out of your faith and become an atheist?

Aside: for the trillionth time I am not an atheist but an agnostic.

Moves
11 May 15

You work for a living? Most of us here are in care.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 May 15

You work for a living? Most of us here are in care.
And one or two in the asylum.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 May 15

Originally posted by DeepThought
Do you think therefore that you could talk yourself out of your faith and become an atheist?

Probably not, but at least you seem to have talked yourself out of being an atheist. 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 15

And one or two in the asylum.
And One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
Probably not, but at least you seem to have talked yourself out of being an atheist. 😏
If you can't talk yourself out of your faith then how can you be said to have free will in the matter?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 May 15

If you can't talk yourself out of your faith then how can you be said to have free will in the matter?
I can say it because I have the free will to say it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 15

I'm a poor typist, a poor speller and suffer from Apple auto-correct. Hence most of my posts have at least a couple of edits.
Edits are okay. I never criticize a post for a large number of edits. At least it shows the writer made an effort to be understood.

My favorite key (based on usage) must be the backspace key. Or the delete key, I use both a lot.

I try to reread my posts for legibility before hitting post, but sometimes stuff slips through. I'm a good speller, but a crap typist, so I never trust auto-correct. I only use Firefox's red underline of misspelled words, to be alerted to words I mistyped. My errors are usually finger-errors and not brain-errors. I don't know how poor spellers get past the frustration of being told nearly every word is misspelled. But I guess that is what auto-correct is for...

Moves
12 May 15

And for the trillionth time, if you lack a belief in the existence of gods then you are an atheist.

Whether you like the label, or choose to use it, it's still correctly applicable to you.

Agnostic is not a position between theist and atheist because theist and atheist are exclusive
and exhaustive labels. There is no middle ground between them.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 15
1 edit

Being able "to be talked out of your faith" just shows an extremely weak faith. It has nothing to do with "free will". If one's faith is strong, chances are strong that person will not be an atheist, nor "become" an atheist. If one's "free will" is to be an atheist, then I'm not sure faith is much of an issue to them in the first place.

And people like googlefudge are convinced that "agnostics" ARE atheists.

Edit: Wow, scooped again. 🙁

Moves
12 May 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Being able "to be talked out of your faith" just shows an extremely weak faith. It has nothing to do with "free will". If one's faith is strong, chances are strong that person will not be an atheist, nor "become" an atheist. If one's "free will" is to be an atheist, then I'm not sure faith is much of an issue to them in the first place.

And people like googlefudge are convinced that "agnostics" ARE atheists.
No. you can be an agnostic theist, if you believe a god or gods exist but don't claim to know
that a god or gods exist.

Generally speaking however people who choose to identify as an agnostic lack a belief in god/s and
are therefore by definition not theists [people who believe in god/s] and the label for people who are
not-theists is atheist.

Quite why DT can't grasp this eludes me.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 May 15

Because one has already used free will in choosing. Why change if one chooses correctly to begin with?

Moves
12 May 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
Because one has already used free will in choosing. Why change if one chooses correctly to begin with?
DT is asking about the ability to change your mind [which is necessary for 'free will'] as
opposed to the advisedness of changing your mind.

If it's not possible for you [or Hinds, or anyone else] to change your minds then you do not have free will.
This is true even if you had free will at some point in the past.