Dependencies for 'Chrisitan' salvation

Dependencies for 'Chrisitan' salvation

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
23 Aug 16

Originally posted by roigam
Excuse me but this has been translated just that way in several other Bible.

The NWT used master texts for it's translations.

A master text is accepted by most Bible scholars as the best translation available

according to the latest ancient scrolls available.

What Bible do you use and what does it say at John 1:1? Also, what scrols were used in

that particular translation?
Be clear now. Are you - or are you not - claiming that the NWT translation of "EN ARCHE EN HO LOGOS, KAI HO LOGOS EN PROS TON THEON, KAI THEOS EN HO LOGOS" as 'In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god' is "accepted by most Bible scholars as the best translation available"?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
I see. Well I felt it was "genuine" and "living" for many years. But now I'm not a Christian so what I think of it is neither here nor there. My problem was not with denominations or style or competing theologies. I wasn't disappointed by my church or my Christian fellowship at all. There was no problem with my church being "dead"; it's very much alive and kicking. My problem was with my belief in the Bible. No Bible, no Christianity.
What would you say are the top 5 reasons that made you loose faith in the Bible?

F

Moves
23 Aug 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
What would you say are the top 5 reasons that made you loose faith in the Bible?
I have been posting here for the best part of a decade. My posts and lines of inquiry are infused with the problems I have with the Bible. I'm not typing any stuff out again especially for you. Suffice to say, I came to realize that I no longer thought of it as a credible basis for the claims that Christians make about supernatural things and the significance of Jesus. I came to realize that I didn't perceive it as a revelation of God in the same way as I don't perceive "holy" scriptures such as the Koran or the Vedas as revelations of God.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
I have been posting here for the best part of a decade. My posts and lines of inquiry are infused with the problems I have with the Bible. I'm not typing any stuff out again especially for you. Suffice to say, I came to realize that I no longer thought of it as a credible basis for the claims that Christians make about supernatural things and the significance of ...[text shortened]... way as I don't perceive "holy" scriptures such as the Koran or the Vedas as revelations of God.
Did something in particular make you arrive at this realization or nothing in particular?

F

Moves
23 Aug 16

Did something in particular make you arrive at this realization or nothing in particular?
The nature of the Bible and its content, in particular.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
The nature of the Bible and its content, in particular.
What about its nature and content, in particular?

F

Moves
23 Aug 16

What about its nature and content, in particular?
Like with the Vedas and the Koran and the Torah, as I said before, I see no convincing reason to believe that it's divinely inspired or is a revelation of/from God.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Aug 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Like with the Vedas and the Koran and the Torah, as I said before, I see no convincing reason to believe that it's divinely inspired or is a revelation of/from God.
But you did before didn't you? What changed? What in particular changed your mind?

F

Moves
23 Aug 16

But you did before didn't you? What changed? What in particular changed your mind?
Reflection. Contemplation.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Aug 16

Originally posted by FMF
Reflection. Contemplation.
Ok it seems you are just dodging the question and trying to be as vague as possible. So much for being open minded.

Reflection and contemplation about what in particular?

F

Moves
23 Aug 16

Ok it seems you are just dodging the question and trying to be as vague as possible. So much for being open minded.

Reflection and contemplation about what in particular?
Reflection and contemplation, in particular, as to whether or not the Bible convinced me as a basis for the claims Christians make about the nature of God and the significance of Jesus, and whether there were convincing reasons to believe that it is the divinely inspired revelation from God. The process was made possible by me being open minded.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Aug 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Reflection and contemplation, in particular, as to whether or not the Bible convinced me as a basis for the claims Christians make about the nature of God and the significance of Jesus, and whether there were convincing reasons to believe that it is the divinely inspired revelation from God. The process was made possible by me being open minded.
So all you have is 'reflection and contemplation' but you can't tell me exactly what it is that convinced you? That sounds very open minded.

F

Moves
23 Aug 16

So all your have is 'reflection and contemplation' but you can't tell me exactly what it is? That sounds very open minded.
Well, I wouldn't expect a person who is still a Christian - like you are - to look upon a thorough reflection and contemplation spanning several years resulting in a fundamental change of beliefs as being a result of being "open minded" unless, of course, it was something like me losing Islamic faith or Hindu faith, in which case, no doubt ~ surprise surprise ~ you probably would congratulate it for being "open minded".

Look, I am not interested in spending my typing-at-the-computer-time telling you "exactly what it is". If you have a sincere interest in me - and me in particular - my posting history (30,000+ posts) is replete with exactly what it is-type stuff that you can feast your curiosity on.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
23 Aug 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Well, I wouldn't expect a person who is still a Christian - like you are - to look upon a thorough reflection and contemplation spanning several years resulting in a fundamental change of beliefs as being a result of being "open minded" unless, of course, it was something like me losing Islamic faith or Hindu faith, in which case, no doubt ~ surprise surprise ~ ...[text shortened]... osts) is replete with exactly what it is-type stuff that you can feast your curiosity on.
So you are saying that because I am a 'Christian' your supposed thorough reflection and contemplation won't make sense to me? So in other words you are saying because I am a Christian I am not open minded? Is that the gist of it? So can only 'non-Christians' can be open minded in your opinion?

F

Moves
23 Aug 16

So you are saying that because I am a 'Christian' your supposed thorough reflection and contemplation won't make sense to me? So in other words you are saying because I am a Christian I am not open minded? Is that the gist of it? So can only 'non-Christians' can be open minded in your opinion?
No. Nothing of the sort. I'm saying I can't be bothered to tell you all the things you are asking me to tell you and that my posting history is a place where you will find the answers you claim you are looking for. I have said absolutely nothing about whether or not I think you are open minded.