1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 18:26
    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/jehovah-s-witnesses-hushed-up-child-sex-scandal-1-5858460

looks like its not just the catholic church who would rather protect their image than protect children from abuse. isnt it about time that a law was passed forcing those in a position of religious power to contact the police if they hear about child abusers in their flock?

maybe if his wife hadnt been so stupid to let herself die by refusing blood in the 90's she might have been about to stop her husband committing the crime and also been there for her child who now has no mother and a pedophile for a father.

i wonder why god took her, left him and appointed a bunch of twts as elders. all part of his amazing tapestry!!!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 21:00
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/crime/jehovah-s-witnesses-hushed-up-child-sex-scandal-1-5858460

looks like its not just the catholic church who would rather protect their image than protect children from abuse. isnt it about time that a law was passed forcing those in a position of religious power to contact the police if they hear about child abu ...[text shortened]... took her, left him and appointed a bunch of twts as elders. all part of his amazing tapestry!!!
    Not all that call themselves Christian are Christian, and furthermore God does NOT "take" anyone.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Aug '13 23:45
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Not all that call themselves Christian are Christian, and furthermore God does NOT "take" anyone.
    It is a curious fact that when persuading others of the success of
    Christianity and its popularity Christians use figures for all "Christians"
    but when debating many, many points they start talking about "true
    Christians" (ie those with the same beliefs/values as themselves).

RJHinds is an extreme example in his Church of 1 but others are not blameless.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 00:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It is a curious fact that when persuading others of the success of
    Christianity and its popularity Christians use figures for all "Christians"
    but when debating many, many points they start talking about "true
    Christians" (ie those with the same beliefs/values as themselves).

RJHinds is an extreme example in his Church of 1 but others are not blameless.
    I don't see anything curious about the fact that there are many "wannabes". There are many different kinds of Christians, many denominations, but to group them all into one is like grouping all kinds of fruit and say they are all the same.
    I can easily point out verses that show that these people were not following what the bible teaches, but that wouldn't stop you from criticizing Christians.
    I will not be grouped in with people who sin and cover up for them afterwards. There is something radically amiss with a group like that. I would seriously question if they are Christians at all.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 01:24
    I don't see anything curious about the fact that there are many "wannabes". There are many different kinds of Christians, many denominations, but to group them all into one is like grouping all kinds of fruit and say they are all the same.
    I can easily point out verses that show that these people were not following what the bible teaches, but that would ...[text shortened]... ally amiss with a group like that. I would seriously question if they are Christians at all.
    Was it you who recently said

- that Christians cannot sin? 0r
    - that their sins are paid for by Christ therefore its ok to sin or
    - you wont be judged for sin
    - your spirit don't sin only your body
    - you cannot lose your salvation no matter what sins you commit.

You or josephw or jaywill .. cant remember.

Or is it that YOU can sin and escape judgment while Catholic preists wont escape. Which is it?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 11:04
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Was it you who recently said

- that Christians cannot sin? 0r
    - that their sins are paid for by Christ therefore its ok to sin or
    - you wont be judged for sin
    - your spirit don't sin only your body
    - you cannot lose your salvation no matter what sins you commit.

You or josephw or jaywill .. cant remember.

Or is it that YOU can sin and escape judgment while Catholic preists wont escape. Which is it?
    You see, now you hit the problem right on the head, you can't remember.
    Christians cannot sin in their spirit. They can sin with their mind and body. They can repent and be forgiven.
    But my point above is that not all who say they are Christian are truly Christian.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 11:24
    You see, now you hit the problem right on the head, you can't remember.
    Christians cannot sin in their spirit. They can sin with their mind and body. They can repent and be forgiven.
    But my point above is that not all who say they are Christian are truly Christian.
    My poor memory is the least of the issues here. Here the crux of the problem.. you seem to have one rule for you and your types and another for Catholic priests. Is that the case? Why cannot these sinning priests claim that they are sinning only in their body and therefore they can easily repent and be forgiven.

What is a 'true' Christian. Everyone has their own definition. I will tell you mine. A true Christian is one who follows the commandments of Christ. It has nothing to do with claiming that they cannot sin in spirit or that they can repent and be forgiven etc etc. A Christian follows in the footsteps of Christ. What is your definition [in plain simple English please]?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 13:371 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    My poor memory is the least of the issues here. Here the crux of the problem.. you seem to have one rule for you and your types and another for Catholic priests. Is that the case? Why cannot these sinning priests claim that they are sinning only in their body and therefore they can easily repent and be forgiven.

What is a 'true' Christian. Everyone has t ...[text shortened]... follows in the footsteps of Christ. What is your definition [in plain simple English please]?
    My definition of a Christian is one who has been "drawn" by God, and has received Jesus as Lord of their lives, meaning as you say,obey his commandments. They are to give their lives over to him since he paid for their lives with his own.
    I don't know about Catholic priests, so I cannot comment.
    You say you follow in his steps? Do you speak in tongues? That is one of his commands.....
    English Standard Version
    "Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy."
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 17:58
    My definition of a Christian is one who has been "drawn" by God, and has received Jesus as Lord of their lives, meaning as you say,obey his commandments. They are to give their lives over to him since he paid for their lives with his own.
    I don't know about Catholic priests, so I cannot comment.
    You say you follow in his steps? Do you speak in tongues ...[text shortened]... lish Standard Version
    "Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy."
    Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.

(1 Corinthians 14:1-5 NKJV)

This was the Apostle Paul that wrote this letter to the Church in Corinth. Speaking in Tongues is just one of the gifts of the Spirit and not all Christians receive every gift, including speaking in tongues.

The Instructor
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 18:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesi ...[text shortened]... irit and not all Christians receive every gift, including speaking in tongues.

The Instructor
    So if you have this gift, what languages do you now speak in?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 19:371 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

looks like its not just the catholic church who would rather protect their image than protect children from abuse. isnt it about time that a law was passed forcing those in a position of religious power to contact the police if they hear about child abu took her, left him and appointed a bunch of twts as elders. all part of his amazing tapestry!!!
    what is it about the child protection policy of Jehovah's witness that the charity commission of the UK have validated that you somehow know more about than them? You have read our child protection policies, haven't you, so come on, tell the forum what it is that the charities commission of the UK, a professional and qualified body have missed that you a total patzer have knowledge of.

In the United States, over 80,000 elders currently serve in over 12,300 congregations … During the last 100 years, only eleven elders have been sued for child abuse in thirteen lawsuits filed in the United States; In seven of these lawsuits against the elders, accusations against the Watchtower Society itself were dismissed by the courts.

you were saying. . . . oh thats right, deplorable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses%27_handling_of_child_sex_abuse
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 19:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesi ...[text shortened]... irit and not all Christians receive every gift, including speaking in tongues.

The Instructor
    I disagree. Speaking in tongues (S.I.T.) is not a gift. It is a manifestation of the spirit. So is prophecy, etc.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 20:34
    I disagree. Speaking in tongues (S.I.T.) is not a gift. It is a manifestation of the spirit. So is prophecy, etc.
    and what is speaking in tongues?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Aug '13 22:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    and what is speaking in tongues?
    Tongues edifies the speaker, it is giving of thanks well, it builds up the Christian...etc...but it is for private prayer, not for others to hear you speak. It profits the speaker, not the church. We are encouraged to speak in tongues much in our personal prayer life. I S.I.T. while I drive, while I work, whenever I am alone. It is a personal manifestation of the spirit within. In the early church, every believer spoke in tongues when they were baptized in holy spirit. Read the book of Acts...
    Acts 2:3-4
    3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
    NKJV

Acts 2:11
    Cretans and Arabs — we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.
    NKJV

Acts 10:45-46
    And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.
    NKJV

Acts 19:6-7
    6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied. 7 Now the men were about twelve in all
    NKJV

1 Cor 14:13-19

13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding. 16 Otherwise, if you bless with the spirit, how will he who occupies the place of the uninformed say "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not understand what you say? 17 For you indeed give thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19 yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
    NKJV

1 Cor 14:1-5

14 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the church may receive edification.
    NKJV

In the rest of the epistles it is referred to as "praying in the spirit".
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '13 00:41
    Tongues edifies the speaker, it is giving of thanks well, it builds up the Christian...etc...but it is for private prayer, not for others to hear you speak. It profits the speaker, not the church. We are encouraged to speak in tongues much in our personal prayer life. I S.I.T. while I drive, while I work, whenever I am alone. It is a personal manifestati ...[text shortened]... ication.
    NKJV

In the rest of the epistles it is referred to as "praying in the spirit".
    So as Robbie asked, which languages do these who have this ability speak in?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree