1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    If there were "evil" criminals among them who deserved to be tried and executed, why weren't they rooted out and dealt with? To just kill everybody is the moral atrocity known as genocide.
    The entire people were evil. Their society was evil. Killing them all would have flushed out and removed this evil permanently. It wasn't done and the Hebrews paid for their sin of disobedience to God many times over.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:40
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    You didn't. But you spoke about the destruction of a group of people based on the fact that someone believed that they worshipped false gods.

That is genocide as we use the term today.

How many genocides have been justified by variations on your last sentence, by changing your God to another God or to a human leader?

I really don't see any di ...[text shortened]... e in your justification of this act to any Muslim fundamentalist flying a plane into a building.
    There is a HUGE difference between the will of God and the will of man.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Abraham's descendants were God's people because of God's covenant with Abraham. Take it up with God. Are you calling what God did in this case "genocide"? Were the Canaanites "innocent"?

And do you really think someone coming in and telling everyone living there that God would like them to move somewhere else would work? If so, maybe the Israelites should try that with the Palestinians.
    It might have! They knew of the Hebrews lives in the wilderness and destroying the Egyptians. The people of Jonah's day repented.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:43
    The entire people were evil. Their society was evil. Killing them all would have flushed out and removed this evil permanently.
    What for example? How did the children, for example, deserve to be murdered?And are these accusations substantiated by anyone other source aside from the literature written by the people who carried out the genocide?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    Don't/didn't they have the same right to their religious beliefs as you do?
    No. They worshipped false gods. You don't get this only because you don't believe God is not able to sin.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:44
    There is a HUGE difference between the will of God and the will of man.
    You seem unable to provide any moral basis or justification for the "the will of God" as it was exercised in this case.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:45
    Where did I ever claim this was "genocide"?

This was God clearing out evil people who were a danger to His people from the lands He had set aside for His people.
    You didn't claim it was "genocide". But you did claim and continue to claim, that God ordered his people to commit genocide and they did. The fact that you don't like to use the word "genocide" to describe these actions is irrelevant. What you describe is genocide by the definition of the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    No. They worshipped false gods. You don't get this only because you don't believe God is not able to sin.
    So, how about now? Did Jesus say at some point that people can worship "false gods" then, is that what you mean?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    Originally posted by FMF
    Did Jesus say at some point that people [b]can worship "false gods" then, is that what you mean?[/b]
    No, that's not what I mean.

And no, I'm not going to be misdirected (or misrepresented) by you, either.
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    Originally posted by FMF
    What for example? How did the children, for example, deserve to be murdered?And are these accusations substantiated by anyone other source aside from the literature written by the people who carried out the genocide?
    I can see you didn't watch the video! He explains about the children!
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:47
    If anyone is for Abortion then they are part of Genocide!
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:47
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I can see you didn't watch the video! He explains about the children!
    I am interested in whether the posters expressing themselves here on this thread are able to present what they believe as having moral coherency, that is all.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    So, how about now? Did Jesus say at some point that people [b]can worship "false gods" then, is that what you mean?[/b]
    NO. I very rarely mean what you try to imply that I mean. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

If you have some manifesto you're pushing, let's hear it. Otherwise do not try to imply that I (or Jesus) is in favor of it.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am interested in whether the posters expressing themselves here on this thread are able to present what they believe as having moral coherency, that is all.
    And I've done that. If you don't agree, that's fine. Let it go. I'm not going to suddenly adhere to whatever YOU believe, so stop trying.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:531 edit
    NO. I very rarely mean what you try to imply that I mean. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

If you have some manifesto you're pushing, let's hear it. Otherwise do not try to imply that I (or Jesus) is in favor of it.
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you believed that God spoke to you ~ in a vision or perhaps as a result of you praying ~ and He told you that, say, Hindus presented the same threat as you believe the Canaanites did on account of them worshipping what people of your religion consider to be "false gods", could you imagine yourself supporting or participating in a genocide against Hindus?

No, the rules have changed since the appearance of His Son in Nazareth, and His sacrifice at Calgary. Your "scenario" simply would not happen.

Originally posted by FMF
    Did Jesus say at some point that people CAN worship "false gods" then, is that what you mean?

If not Jesus, who was it who said "since the appearance of His Son in Nazareth" that worshipping "false gods" was not punishable by genocide?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree