Did Jesus claim to be God?

Did Jesus claim to be God?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
293d
1 edit

@of-ants-and-imps said
He spoke knowledgeably of the relationship between the Father and Son, and pronounced the right to speak on authority of the Law.
"The Father and Son".

He pronounced the right to speak on authority of the Law

"Of" or "on"?

Was he not a rabi?

Matthew 7:29 

"...because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law."

Who was under this impression?

F

Moves
293d

@of-ants-and-imps said
He claimed to have all power in heaven and in earth
Matthew 28:18-20

Jesus came up and said to them, “All authority (all power of absolute rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.

So, someone gave it to him? So this is NOT an example of him claiming to be God, then.

Über-Nerd

Moves
293d
1 edit

@fmf said
Matthew 28:18-20

Jesus came up and said to them, “All authority (all power of absolute rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.

So, someone gave it to him? So this is NOT an example of him claiming to be God, then.
A judge speaks with the authority of the law, but he isn’t the law. They are two distinct and separate things.An ambassador speaks with the authority of the state he represents, but he isn’t that state. Etc.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
293d

@moonbus said
Well, how can God forsake Himself? Pray, tell.
Because God is spirit and that spirit was also in the flesh of Jesus. It was the spirit which left him alone to die.

OAa

Moves
293d

If not claim, it can definitely be considered passive acknowledgement. Ask whether the Jewish leaders misunderstood the personal statements' integrity, in condemning them as blasphemous. Then, as in Mark 10:18, why isn't it a point here to make of God the Father, if not the Son as well.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
293d

Jesus was God’s avatar.

That’s another way of explaining it.

Über-Nerd

Moves
293d
1 edit

@divegeester said
Jesus was God’s avatar.

That’s another way of explaining it.
His ambassador, or messenger, in other words. Not God Himself. That’s exactly what Muslims believe (about both Mohammed and Jesus).

A pagan once asked the Greek Oracle whether Jesus was God. The Oracle answered that Jesus was a man of great piety, but that those who worship him as God are making a grave error.

So, there you have it: three world religions, two of them older than Christianity (Judaism, paganism), hold Jesus to have been a great prophet (but not God Himself), and only one world religion worships him as God. 3:1.

I’m going with the most probable scenario … he died and is still dead. The resurrection-story was invented decades or even centuries after his death, to add poignancy to his life-story and teachings.

what he preached would be great idea, if people actually put it into practice: Love God, love yourself, love your fellow man, and follow the Commandments (especially: don’t kill, steal, tell lies, or covet your neighbor’s spouse or possessions).

The rest of the dogma surrounding this great prophet of forgiveness is fluff, invented by the Church for its own reasons.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
293d

@moonbus said
His ambassador, or messenger, in other words. Not God Himself.
I think there is a robust narrative throughout the bible that Jesus was indeed god himself in a veil of flesh.

Über-Nerd

Moves
292d
1 edit

@divegeester said
I think there is a robust narrative throughout the bible that Jesus was indeed god himself in a veil of flesh.
That applies only to the NT, not the Hebrew OT. It is certainly what the bishops at the Council of Nicea wanted people to believe.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
292d

@divegeester said
Jesus cried out to God on the cross and asked why He had forsaken him. How is that in keeping with a 'robust narrative throughout the bible that Jesus was indeed god himself in a veil of flesh' ?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
292d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Jesus cried out to God on the cross and asked why He had forsaken him. How is that in keeping with a 'robust narrative throughout the bible that Jesus was indeed god himself in a veil of flesh' ?
Moon has already asked this question of me and I gave a response.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
292d
1 edit

@moonbus said
That applies only to the NT, not the Hebrew OT.
There are also inferences in the OT. Isaiah has an obvious one.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
292d

@divegeester said
Moon has already asked this question of me and I gave a response.
Found it. You replied 'Jesus was both a man and God.'

I don't think that addresses the issue, or why Jesus effectively cries out to himself. Any sensible reading of the passage shows them as two entirely separate entities.

Even taking your avatar comparison, why would an avatar cry out in such as fashion? What would be the point?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
292d

@moonbus said
His ambassador, or messenger, in other words. Not God Himself. That’s exactly what Muslims believe (about both Mohammed and Jesus).

A pagan once asked the Greek Oracle whether Jesus was God. The Oracle answered that Jesus was a man of great piety, but that those who worship him as God are making a grave error.

So, there you have it: three world religions, two of them ...[text shortened]... surrounding this great prophet of forgiveness is fluff, invented by the Church for its own reasons.
I think the biggest question is what benefit is there in claiming Jesus said He is God? Does it lead to some virtue? Would one be more accepted by God? Is someone who disagrees further from God ? What?

There seems to be nothing but unnecessary academic wrangling and bible twisting.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
292d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Even taking your avatar comparison, why would an avatar cry out in such as fashion? What would be the point?
I’m not sure why. I suppose he felt abandoned and sacrificed.