1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 08:021 edit
    Not according to Matthew, Mark or Luke, it would seem.

What an omission!
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 08:12
    Did the group of ideologues who wrote John decades after Jesus's death ~ and named it "John" to make people think it was written by an eyewitness ~ simply have a Jesus-was-God theological agenda?
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 09:561 edit
    @fmf said

What an omission!
    He said of himself that he was "The Son of Man", in the Septuagint anthropos, meaning he was a representative of all mankind, not the son of one specific man (which would have been a different word in Greek).
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 11:53
    @fmf said

What an omission!
    No Jesus did nothing of the sort. It appears that Jesus does not want people to focus on who or what he is. Peoples focus should be themselves and what they need to do. This is what the first 3 gospels record, and go into great detail about people's personal life and conduct.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 20:36
    @fmf said

What an omission!
    John 14:9

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 21:08
    @divegeester said
    John 14:9

Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
    No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. (John 1:18 KJV)
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 22:001 edit
    @rajk999 said
    No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him. (John 1:18 KJV)
    It’s a quandary.

But Jesus is recorded as saying it.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 22:03
    @divegeester said
    It’s a quandary.
    A quandary caused by people focusing on what Jesus did not clearly say. Had all the worlds Christians just stick to the clear words of Jesus there would be one Christian religion based on, love for God and brotherly love.

No way in hell would Jesus ever say to some Depart from me, I never knew you because you did not believe I am God.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 22:05
    @rajk999 said
    A quandary caused by people focusing on what Jesus did not clearly say. Had all the worlds Christians just stick to the clear words of Jesus there would be one Christian religion based on, love for God and brotherly love.

No way in hell would Jesus ever say to some Depart from me, I never knew you because you did not believe I am God.
    Philip asked Jesus to show him the Father, Jesus replied “if you have seen me you have seen the Father”.

Do you think he meant something other than seeing him was seeing the Father?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 22:071 edit
    @divegeester said

Yes ... To one man or small group of men, the disciples. In terms of what is required knowledge it carries very little weight compared to what Jesus preached to the thousands.

The fact that this piece of information was not given to the thousands eg in the Sermon on the Mount means that it is of no consequence whether you know it, or believe it.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 22:09
    @divegeester said
    Philip asked Jesus to show him the Father, Jesus replied “if you have seen me you have seen the Father”.

Do you think he meant something other than seeing him was seeing the Father?
    Yes, I would say he meant seeing me as good as seeing the Father. Jesus is not God, Jesus is clearly described as a mediator between God and men. Its like a negotiator he carries all the authority of whoever sends him, but he is not the sender.

God sent Jesus to act, preach, die etc ete on His behalf, but he is not God
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 22:34
    @rajk999 said
    Yes, I would say he meant seeing me as good as seeing the Father.
    But that isn’t what he said though, was it.

As a poster who has for years been writing about “the words of Jesus”, I’m a bit surprised to see you suddenly reinterpreting them.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 22:54
    @divegeester said
    But that isn’t what he said though, was it.

As a poster who has for years been writing about “the words of Jesus”, I’m a bit surprised to see you suddenly reinterpreting them.
    A literal interpretation makes no sense and conflicts with other passages. So its either I ignore them as being not relevant to ones eternal life or I reinterpret them. Either way whether or not one believes that Jesus claims he is God or otherwise is not a critical matter.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '23 23:10
    @rajk999 said
    A literal interpretation makes no sense and conflicts with other passages. So its either I ignore them as being not relevant to ones eternal life or I reinterpret them. Either way whether or not one believes that Jesus claims he is God or otherwise is not a critical matter.
    There are lots of passages in the bible which conflict with other passages. I believe there is a strong narrative throughout the bible which leads to an understanding that Jesus was God in a veil of flesh. I’m comfortable knowing that other people disagree with this theme.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '23 16:16
    @divegeester said

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree