1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 May '15 10:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Now you think you are God? Or are you just incapable of understanding what I write?
    I know the thread title upset you really badly, but please try and calm down and try to read a persons post before you respond.
    It is you that thinks he is a god by being so presumptuous. I am not upset at all. I am quite calm. You can simply reread your own statements and see for yourself how you contradicted yourself. I'm not going to do it for you.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '15 11:02
    Originally posted by josephw
    It is you that thinks he is a god by being so presumptuous. I am not upset at all. I am quite calm. You can simply reread your own statements and see for yourself how you contradicted yourself. I'm not going to do it for you.
    Did you watch the video by Richard Charier for which there is a link in the OP?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 May '15 11:08
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Until God appears and says the same stuff as you it's your word against twhitehead's.
    God has appeared and will appear again, and unless you can prove otherwise that "God's Word" isn't God's Word and not mine, it remains anyone's word against God's when anyone contradicts what God has spoken.

But of course that makes no sense to you since you deny the existence of God.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '15 11:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Richard Charier may be able to fool those such as you, who are already in his camp, but to Joseph and others that are being saved, it is like water off a duck's back. 😏
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 May '15 11:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    What does that have to do with the post you are replying to? Nothing? You must be trying to obfuscate the subject of discussion again.

It is mindless gibberish to question the validity of the existence of the historical person of Jesus Christ. What is relevant to the discussion of the existence of Jesus is who He said He is, not whether or not there is historical evidence for His existence.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 May '15 11:29
    What does that have to do with the post you are replying to? Nothing? You must be trying to obfuscate the subject of discussion again.
    The video by Richard Charier, for which there is a link in the OP, is the topic of this thread. It is the subject of this discussion. Have you watched it?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 May '15 12:41
    It is you that thinks he is a god by being so presumptuous.
    So when you attempt to mind read and claim: "Your respons to that shows how much you dislike the truth. ", it is God speaking.
    When I do the same in return I think I am a god and am being presumptuous?

I am not upset at all.
    Your behaviour says otherwise.

You can simply reread your own statements and see for yourself how you contradicted yourself. I'm not going to do it for you.
    So, you claim I contradicted my self, but cannot substantiate it?
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '15 12:50
    God has appeared and will appear again, and unless you can prove otherwise that "God's Word" isn't God's Word and not mine, it remains anyone's word against God's when anyone contradicts what God has spoken.

But of course that makes no sense to you since you deny the existence of God.
    You are trying [and failing] to shift the burden of proof.

YOU are making the positive claim that god exists, and that he has said stuff, and that you know what he has said.

YOU are therefore the one who needs to back that up with sufficient evidence to justify believing that claim.

Neither you, nor anybody else, has EVER met such a burden of proof, and thus we don't accept that what you say
    has been demonstrated as true.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Given the above, don't even bother responding to the thread if you aren't prepared to watch the youtube video first.
    I dunno, we constantly have to deal with ignoramuses who debate God without reading the Bible, so why not argue the video without seeing it?

Isn't that the norm in this forum? Arguing from ignorance?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:06
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Neither you, nor anybody else, has EVER met such a burden of proof, and thus we don't accept that what you say has been demonstrated as true.
    That is your free will speaking, and you are free to do so.

Much as we do not accept what those blaspheming God say as true, either.

There is no proof for, nor against, so it is faith making the determination. And you have not met such a burden of faith. So don't blame us for not taking your word on it.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I dunno, we constantly have to deal with ignoramuses who debate God without reading the Bible, so why not argue the video without seeing it?

Mostly from your side of the debate.

However, If I want to know what your religion says about a topic, it would make sense to go read
    what it says [if anything] in the bible...

Except that if I go and read the bible and take what it says at face value. I will find that almost none
    of you Christians will actually believe what it actually says. Because it has to be 'interpreted'.

So reading the bible is less helpful than it would first appear.

So, maybe I want to know if your religion is true and your god exists... Well now I need evidence
    that your religion is true and that your god exists, and the bible isn't evidence for the claims in
    the bible. External evidence is needed, and none exists.

Of course, yours is not the only religion. And the bible is not the only holy book.
    [How many other religions holy books have you read btw?]
    That's a lot of reading of generally very boring books, often times which need al sorts of properly sourced
    and researched commentaries to make sense of them by placing them in their proper historical context.
    Giving you even more reading to do.

So here's a plan. I will read in full, with all relevant commentaries, the holy book of whichever religion/s can
    actually demonstrate that their beliefs [and, if relevant, god/s] are true and actually real.

Till then I will read books that are actually interesting and/or informative.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:21
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    So here's a plan. I will read in full, with all relevant commentaries, the holy book of whichever religion/s can actually demonstrate that their beliefs [and, if relevant, god/s] are true and actually real.

Till then I will read books that are actually interesting and/or informative.
    So not only will you continue to wallow in your ignorance but you will take pride in doing so.

Check.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:25
    The Bible, isn't God. It is perfectly legitimate to debate topics about God without reading the Bible. If you wished to debate particular verses of the Bible then yes, it makes perfect sense to demand that people read the verses first.

It may be the norm, but that doesn't make it right.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:29

Much as we do not accept what those blaspheming God say as true, either.

There is no proof for, nor against, so it is faith making the determination. And you have not met such a burden of faith. So don't blame us for not taking your word on it.

There is no such thing as free will. And the free will you require and talk about is logically incoherent.

There is no proof for, nor against, so it is faith making the determination.

Faith is utterly and completely useless for determining truth.
    It has precisely ZERO power for predicting what is or is not true, and has an abysmal track record of
    getting everything wrong and halting reasoned enquiry.

Every other believer of every other religion has faith as the ultimate justification for their beliefs and
    they are ALL wrong.

That simple fact on it's own is proof that faith does not and cannot work.

IF you have a proposition for which there is no evidence to justify belief either way then the only valid
    position is to LACK belief either way. There is no justification to just pretend that you have a justification
    to believe whatever it is that you WANT to believe is true. Which is all you are doing by saying that you
    believe by faith. You WANT this to be true. And thus will keep believing it to be true despite a total lack
    of evidence that it is true, AND mountains of evidence that it is in fact false.

Some if which you would find if you were to read Richard Carrier's Books.

Of course I will blame you for choosing to use faith as a means of determining fact from fiction because it's
    utterly idiotic and intellectually bankrupt to do so.

If you keep using to use a system for forming beliefs despite the fact that it's been proven not to work from
    both a theoretical and practical standpoint when a vastly better system that has been proven to work exists
    and is known to you then it is absolutely your fault when you believe things that are demonstrably untrue or
    unjustified.

And when those untrue and unjustified things include beliefs that directly and deeply impact your world view
    and moral foundations then that is absolutely of concern to anyone and everyone else.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 May '15 13:30
    So not only will you continue to wallow in your ignorance but you will take pride in doing so.

Check.
    How many other religions holy books have you read btw?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree