1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 13:29
    @sonship said
    @Proper-Knob

Don't sweep it under the rug. Don't hide out behind semantics. Admit, maybe some previous assumptions have to be revisited. Isn't that what SCIENCE does ?
    Isn't that what i said in my first post replying to you?

maybe we don't quite understand how soft tissue can be fossilised under certain conditions?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 13:35
    @Proper-Knob

Point taken.

Now do we LIMIT our assumptions when doing the revisiting? Do we hold stubbornly to preconceptions that are TOO DEAR to us to relinquish?

Or do go where the evidence leads?

So I asked - Do you have a backup theory as a plan B ?

Maybe the animals are not as old as we thought.
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 13:38
    @sonship said
    @Proper-Knob

We go where the evidence leads.

Now what evidence do you have that dinosaurs are not as old as we think?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 14:202 edits
    @sonship said
    @Proper-Knob

Point taken.

Now do we LIMIT our assumptions when doing the revisiting? Do we hold stubbornly to preconceptions that are TOO DEAR to us to relinquish?

So I asked - Do you have a backup theory as a plan B ?

I used to be a young earth creationists before I studied scientific truths along with rabbinical writings on Genesis in the Torah.

Essentially, there are three distinct ways to measure the age of the universe, all pointing to some 15 billion years, and all unrelated. I could understand if one might be erroneous, but all three? No.

Early Rabbinical writings suggest that when studying the Torah in the original Hebrew, those rabbis came to a startling conclusion, that the age of creation was much older than thousands of years old.

Essentially, the subtle mistranslations of the KJV in Genesis has contributed to this fallacy in translation, much like the early church insisting that the universe revolved around the earth, which is also no where to be found in the Bible, it was interpreted erroneously as such.

As for the Great Flood, this event has been recorded in other ancient writings in Samaria. In fact, to even know what a flood is one would have to have had an experience with one. The only question then becomes, how big was it?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 15:28
    @proper-knob said
    @KellyJay

Dinosaurs living with humans, is that a 'truth'?
    I take scripture literally you can fill in the blanks with that. This I don’t believe is news between us, we have had this conversation before. There are visions, dreams and other things in scripture it isn’t all to be taken literally, context is important.

Yes on your question.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 15:29
    @fmf said
    Do you think geology and plate tectonics are among the "catastrophic failures in man's understanding"?
    I suppose it would depend on what is said about them.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 15:32
    @proper-knob said
    @KellyJay

How come mankind has got it so spectacularly wrong for so long then? How come you are right and Einstein was wrong?
    If man/science is wrong about time in such a huge way it is because assumptions about reality leads to conclusions that are not true.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 16:06
    @whodey

I think the age of the universe in the Bible is unspecified. It could be that the age of these animals are not as old as was believed.

Big time is not a problem to my faith anymore than big space is.

With soft tissue still preserved after the supposed 60 million years, MAYBE the darn creatures are not as old as was first believed by paleontologists.

That's all.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 16:111 edit
    @kellyjay said
    If man/science is wrong about time in such a huge way it is because assumptions about reality leads to conclusions that are not true.
    Can the same be said about you? Have you made assumptions about reality leading to conclusions that are not true?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 16:333 edits
    Knob,

I'm biased.
    Okay?

There's a gentleman I frequently visit in a retirement home. He is 98 years old. All my life I have believed that he is my father.

Strictly speaking I can't prove it. I'm biased through living with years of trust. But the possibility of a conspiracy or an error is inexhaustible.

Anyone who saw the video footage of the Tsumami in Japan and Indonesia, I think, shouldn't have a problem with a devestating FLOOD that wiped out everybody except a few people.

When I watched hours of tons of water sweeping across the city and countryside carrying houses, cars, factories, people, boats, and anything else in its way, Noah's flood in the remote past on an ancient civilization doesn't seem so implausible.

But I'm biased. I trust God and Christ as to their words.
    I'm biased.

I think everybody will eventually put their trust in somebody.
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 16:48
    @kellyjay said
    I take scripture literally you can fill in the blanks with that. This I don’t believe is news between us, we have had this conversation before. There are visions, dreams and other things in scripture it isn’t all to be taken literally, context is important.
    Yuck !! In Mark, Jesus is quoted as saying that you do not have to wash your hands before eating. No offense, but I don't think I would ever shake hands with you. 😲
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 17:14
    @caissad4 said
    Yuck !! In Mark, Jesus is quoted as saying that you do not have to wash your hands before eating. No offense, but I don't think I would ever shake hands with you. 😲
    That conversation was revolving around what soils the soul.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 17:18
    @proper-knob said
    Can the same be said about you? Have you made assumptions about reality leading to conclusions that are not true?
    Well what I do see fits my beliefs, where there are assumptions about the past doesn’t. Can you say the same, for example you believe the universe was started how?
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 17:221 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Well what I do see fits my beliefs, where there are assumptions about the past doesn’t. Can you say the same, for example you believe the universe was started how?
    Rephrase that please, it doesn't make sense.

Humans living with dinosaurs. Surely that's an assumption on your part?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Feb '19 17:56
    @proper-knob said
    Rephrase that please, it doesn't make sense.

Humans living with dinosaurs. Surely that's an assumption on your part?
    How did the universe begin, I am assuming you think it did? Correct me if wrong about that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree