1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 21:31
    where do you christian types stand on swearing? is it sinful?
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 21:39
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    http://www.openbible.info/topics/using_profanity
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 21:45
    Originally posted by JS357
    what constitutes as obscene words?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 21:48
    what kind of dirty answer is that bud?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 21:50
    As a 'casual christian' I would say it's not the words that you use but the tone of voice, the attitude behind what ye may sayeth.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 22:02
    what constitutes as obscene words?
    Well in Biblical times they would be in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek, if the Bible is to be taken as the source of guidance. But they wouldn't be in the Bible. Many of the English-language obscenities stem from Anglo Saxon, I think maybe because it was the language of the lower classes after the Norman conquest. The Conquest resulted in a French speaking upper class and upper clergy.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 22:13
    Well in Biblical times they would be in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek, if the Bible is to be taken as the source of guidance. But they wouldn't be in the Bible. Many of the English-language obscenities stem from Anglo Saxon, I think maybe because it was the language of the lower classes after the Norman conquest. The Conquest resulted in a French speaking upper class and upper clergy.
    we know different languages have obscene words and we know they change over time........but what in a religious context is classed as obscene???
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 23:49
    Why do you care?
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 00:28
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why do you care?
    So he can tell a Christian they won't be going to heaven when he catches them swearing... duh.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 00:44
    Originally posted by Trev33
    So he can tell a Christian they won't be going to heaven when he catches them swearing... duh.
    Damn it, I wish I had your insight into these things.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 01:22
    Do you mean "swearing" as in taking an oath? Jesus said let your yea be yea and nay, nay.

But if you mean cussing, then yes it's a sin. Jesus said that from out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, and that we will be judged for every word we say. The implication being that it is not only how we say things, but also the things we say that can be good or evil depending on what we say and how we say it.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 11:24
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why do you care?
    why do you care why i care?
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 11:31
    Originally posted by josephw
    Do you mean "swearing" as in taking an oath? Jesus said let your yea be yea and nay, nay.

But if you mean cussing, then yes it's a sin. Jesus said that from out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, and that we will be judged for every word we say. The implication being that it is not only how we say things, but also the things we say that can be good or evil depending on what we say and how we say it.
    does the bible define what constitutes as a sinful 'cuss'? i guess where im heading is - words are just words, many 'cuss' words are actually just anatomical names or descriptions. so really its the intent behind the words that really gives them sinful meaning. if the intent is really the sin, then all words can be used in a sinful way. therefore i dont see why christians should avoid using the f-word or c-word and so on because if used with no sinful intent then they are not 'cusses'.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 12:30
    I do not think 'cussing', or maybe more properly, 'cursing', is all that sinful.

Blasphemy, now, is FAR more sinful.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Dec '13 13:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I do not think 'cussing', or maybe more properly, 'cursing', is all that sinful.

Blasphemy, now, is FAR more sinful.
    so when hitting ones thumb with a hammer 'f*****!!!!!' is better than 'j****s c****t!!!!'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree