1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 18:412 edits
    God gave the law of Moses to the self assuming old man who wanted to be an independent husband.

Apparently God gave the law for man to keep.
    But in a deeper sense God gave the law for man to break thus exposing man.

God gave the law to EXPOSE the old man as inept at being able to live for God.

In fact in Romans the law of God actually ACTIVATES the sinning nature.
    The law is holy and spiritual and good. But it exposes the sin nature in man to the uttermost.

" So then the law is holy, and the commandment holy and righteous and good.

Did then that which is good become death to me? Absolutely not! But sin did, that it might be shown to be sin by working out death in me through that which is good, that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. " (Rom. 7:13)

The law was given to the old man, the old husband to EXPOSE the sin nature in him.

Paul even goes as far to say that he was alive apart from the law. But when the law came SIN activated and he died.

" And I was alive without the law once; but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died." (7:9)

He is showing us much so that we Christians can see why we need to be discharged from the law and joined to Christ with His power of divine life.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:16
    Originally posted by @sonship
    God gave the law of Moses to the self assuming old man who wanted to be an independent husband.

Apparently God gave the law for man to keep.
    But in a deeper sense God gave the law for man to break thus exposing man.

God gave the law to EXPOSE the old man as inept at being able to live for God.

In fact in [b]Romans
    the law of God actually ACTI ...[text shortened]... ee why we need to be discharged from the law and joined to Christ with His power of divine life.[/b]
    God gave the Law to be the basis of a godly nation's set of laws. It was meant to create a strong nation and society.

Some of the aspects of the law applied to individual's relationship wit God, but some were meant were meant for society.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:362 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    God gave the Law to be the basis of a godly nation's set of laws. It was meant to create a strong nation and society.

Some of the aspects of the law applied to individual's relationship wit God, but some were meant were meant for society.

God saw the need for a new covenant because the first could not be kept by the fallen man.

What does Jeremiah 31:31 say ?
    "Indeed, days are coming, declares Jehovah, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,

Not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by their hand to bring them out from the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was their Husband, declares Jehovah." (Jer. 31:31)

That's true.
    But God Himself saw the need for making a new covenant.
    He always saw the need. It takes time for Him to let man see that there is the need.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jul '17 19:41

God saw the need for a new covenant because the first could not be kept by the fallen man.

What does [b]Jeremiah 31:31
    say ?
    [quote] "Indeed, days are coming, declares Jehovah, when I will make a new coven ...[text shortened]... covenant.
    He always saw the need. It takes time for Him to let man see that there is the need.
    The New Covenant does not do away with what is described in the Old Covenant as being a sinful action from one's heart.

This is what Jesus taught when he said that he came ro fullfil the law not get rid of it.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 05:49
    The New Covenant does not do away with what is described in the Old Covenant as being a sinful action from one's heart.

That's right.
    Christ came and made the illumination of man's sin more penetrating.
    Christ came and made the demand higher.

The sayings "You have heard of the ancients thus and such. But I say unto you ..." something even more penetrating, higher, more radical.

Now the ritual as aspects of the Law He negated and even purposely contradicted.
    That is things such as keeping the Sabbath.
    That eating of the bread of the Holy Place.
    And many of the added traditions in ordinances He undermined.

Paul undermined the ordinance of circumcision.
    But the principle of cutting off the old man to which circumcision symbolized, he taught fervently.

In harmony with Christ Paul says the ordinances of the law have been nailed to the cross with Christ.

"Abolishing in His flesh the law of the commandments in ordinances, that He might create the two into Himself into one new man so making peace." (Eph. 2:15)

"Wiping out the handwriting in ordinances, which was against us, which was contrary to us; and He has taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross." (Col. 2:14)

The ordinances of ceremonial rituals Christ has taken out the way.
    The morality of loving God, His righteousness and our fellow man, nowhere does it say He has done away with that.

He Himself becomes our righteousness.
    He fulfills the law by being the reality of all the offerings - consecration offering, sin offering, peace offering, meal offering, drink offering, etc..

In this was He came to fulfill the law.

This is what Jesus taught when he said that he came to fullfil the law not get rid of it.

In this sense Christ did come to replace the old covenant offerings by the offering of Himself.

"And He took a cup and gave t hanks, and He gave it to them, saying, Drink of it, all of you. For this is My blood of the covenant, which is being poured out for many for forgiveness of sins." (Matt. 26:27,28)

"And similarly the cup after they had dined, saying, This cup is the new covenant established in My blood, which is being poured out for you." (Luke 22:20)

His act of death and resurrection laid the foundation for a "new covenant".
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 05:543 edits
    The new covenant is a better covenant.

" But now He [Christ] has obtained a more excellent ministry inasmuch as He is also the Mediator of a BETTER COVENANT, which has been enacted upon BETTER PROMISES." (Hebrews 8:6)

"By so much Jesus has also become the surety of a BETTER COVENANT." (Heb. 7:22)

Christ coming to make a better covenant was God's fulfillment of the words through the prophet Jeremiah -

"Indeed, days are coming, declares Jehovah, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, " (Jer. 31:31)
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '17 16:40

What does [b]Jeremiah 31:31
    say ?
    [quote] "Indeed, days are coming, declares Jehovah, when I will make a new coven ...[text shortened]... covenant.
    The Law was specifically for Israel to bring about Jesus' birth and ministry.

The New Covenant is for all of mankind and no longer simply for the remnant of Israel.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 04:102 edits
    As we review the prophecy of Jeremiah 31:31-34 we can notice FOUR distinct aspects of this new covenant God promises.

1.)
    " I will put My law within them and write it upon their hearts; ... " (v.33)

Something is inscribed on the living heart of man. It must also be a living matter.
    IE. Something living imparted and "written" on something else that is living,

From the New Testament we see that this is the law of the life of God in the God-man Jesus Christ.

"For the law of the Spirit of life has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and of death." (Romans 8:2)

[T]he law of the Spirit of [divine] life surely has to be the law of God the prophet predicts God will write on or into our hearts.

2.)
    " ... and I will be God to them, and they will be a people to Me." (v.33)

He will be God to them and they will be God's people ACCORDING TO this living and "organic" law of God's life written into their hearts.

3.)
    "and they will no longer teach, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, Know Jehovah, for all shall know Me, from the little one among them even to the great one among them, declares Jehovah." (v.34)

This is an intimate personal knowing of God in the most subjective way.
    That is a individual substantiating of God's reality such that transcends all mere objective passing of only outward information.

This is covered in First John as the anointing - a kind of moving and rubbing in of God like an ointment teaching each believer most subjectively - as is true.
    I will come back to this perhaps latter.

4.)
    This is usually the [i[FIRST[/i] and sadly even the only aspect some teachers draw attention to. But that is not the fault of the covenant.
    "... For I will forgive their iniquities, and their sin I will remember no more." (v.34)

That is full forgiveness of our sins in eternal redemption.
    When God forgets something it is really forgotten. He says the sins of these His people He will remember no more.

That is because they have been judged in the Son of God on His cross at Calvary.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 04:131 edit
    As we review the prophecy of [b]Jeremiah 31:31-34 we can notice FOUR distinct aspects of this new covenant God promises.

1.)
    " I will put My law within them and write it upon their hearts; ... " (v.33)

Something is inscribed on the living heart of man. It must also be a living matter.
    IE. Somethi ...[text shortened]... er no more.

That is because they have been judged in the Son of God on His cross at Calvary.[/b]

Of all men or some men?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 05:142 edits

Of all men or some men?
    The receivers of this new covenant are the ones God is saying He will inscribe something into their hearts.

Now of course this is something rather similar to Paul saying that the work of the law in written on the hearts of all men.

"For when the Gentiles who have not law, do by nature the things of the law, are a law to themselves,

Who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness with it ... etc" (Rom. 1:14,15)

This is different from the new covenant of God writing His living law into hearts.
    Romans 1:14-16 is about man being created in the image of God such that his conscience does agree with much of God's law.

In Romans 7 Paul spoke similarly of the "good" law in his created mind. It agrees with the law of God.

"For I delight in the law of God according to the inner man." (v.22)

This should mean that his natural conscience which is a part of the inner man, agrees with the law of God. It has nothing to do with whether or not he has the ability to obey. But he does have something in him, which all men and women have - the mind agreeing to what is good and the conscience convicting.

I think this is the work of the law. This is different from God imparting the law of His divine life into the people of His new covenant. This is essentially man partaking of the divine nature.

" Through which He has granted to us precious and exceedingly great promises that through these you might become partakers of the divine nature ... " (2 Pet. 1:4a)

The precious and great promises of the new covenant allow believers to become partakers of the divine nature of God. He writes and inscribes His living law of His nature into their hearts.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 05:181 edit
    The work of the law is written on created man's heart.
    And the participants of the new covenant have in addition God inscribing His divine nature and thus the law of His nature into man.

It is worthwhile to compare Romans 2:14-16 with the Jeremiah 31:31-34.

I thought that this would or should come up some day.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 05:23
    [b] Romans 7:6

"But now we have been discharged from the law, having died to that in which we were held, so that we serve in newness of spirit and not in oldness of letter."

Romans 7:4

[quote] "So then, my brothers, you also have been made dead to the law through the body of Christ so that you might be join ...[text shortened]... the two husbands in [b]Romans 7:1 - 6.

Then go on to read the whole of chapter 7.[/b]
    Who is the minister from who's work you have lifted this message?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 11:15
    " So then, my brothers, you also have been made dead to the law through the body of Christ ..." (v.3)

If Christ had not died we could never be discharged from the law to bear fruit to God.
    If Christ had not crucified the old man with His death we could never "marry another", that other Husband the resurrected Christ to bear fruit to God.

We could not "bear fruit to God" by having the life of God flow spontaneously through and out from us.

" ... you also have been made dead to the law through the body of Christ so that you might be joined to another, to Him who has been raised from the dead, that we might bear fruit to God." (v.4)

The believer is dependent now on the new husband. If a troublesome person comes to the doorstep, the wife need not independently assert arguments with them. She may call her husband. She can let the husband come forward to deal with the matter.

We all who have believed in Christ must learn to depend on our Husband the resurrected Christ. We are not being adulterers to depend upon Him. We are not guilty of anything for depending upon Him as Rajk999 wants to constantly accuse.

Rajk999 still depends upon the old man and scoffs at the concept of being under the headship of the resurrected Christ as the new husband. But if we want to bear fruit to God we have to become the wife whose OLD husband, the fallen old man, has been crucified.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 11:58
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What "minister's" message am I copying ?

The "minister" was the Apostle Paul who wrote Romans which letter I am expounding, though with considerable help from others who have gone before me.

We don't have a clergy / laity hierarchy or a professional ministerial class.
    We believe in the universal priesthood of all believers as Peter revealed.

" But you are a chosen race, a ROYAL PRIESTHOOD, a holy nation, a people acquired for a possession, so that you may tell out the virtues of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." (1 Peter 2:9)

Do you have something to minister and tell out of the virtues of Christ here ??
    I do because I am a member of a holy nation and a royal priesthood.

Your question implies that a "minister" is in a special class of believers.

Do you mean "Who is the clergyman from who's work you have lifted this message?"
    This indicates that you are still under the influence of the clergy / laity concept.

In the universal priesthood of all believers every disciple of Christ is a minister.
    I come here to minister Christ to seeking people.

Like Brother Paul I am a ministering priest of the new testament gospel.

Berean Study Bible
    to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an acceptable offering to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

He does not mean that he is of a clerical class of "ministers".
    He means that he is a normal functioning disciple of Christ exercising his ministering of the truth the gospel he lives and teaches.

NET Bible
    to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles. I serve the gospel of God like a priest, so that the Gentiles may become an acceptable offering, sanctified by the Holy Spirit.

New Heart English Bible
    that I should be a servant of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles, serving as a priest the Good News of God,

I suspect that your question:

is not out of any sincere desire to know where you might read more of these things.
    But being petty you just want to draw a distraction from healthy teaching to make an issue of undermining it.

if you don't think I am ministering from the Spirit of God then don't waste your time. And don't worry about what clergyman or "minister" I am "lifting" this message from.

Instead of subtle undermining innuendos hinting at - "you sonship are plagiarizing some minister's message" why not contribute something helpful to the understanding of Romans 7:1-6 ?

What thrills me is the people's eyes get opened to the unsearchable riches of Christ as the Gospel, and nothing else.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree