1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 08:33
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Everyone sins. No such thing as a decent guy.
    You have not met me.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 08:351 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    I am not up for endless of going back and forth, was just stating some facts. As for Turkey...

http at is mainly Jewish does not seem to struggle with this problem (for non-islamic women anyways).
    I think you can find lots of "honour killings" in early 20th Century Catholic Italy.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 08:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Have you considered that maybe you are stereotyping me given all the assumptions you just made because you know I am not american?

Do you consider distaste for communism to be reasonable? Are those that have a distaste for communists bigots?
    You know, look, this conversation is getting way, WAY more tedious than I want to participate in.

I am NOT going to sit here and play this game with you, where I say something and then you turn it on me by reversing what I said. These are just word games, and it's tedious in the extreme.

Let me finish by saying your stereotype is just that, a stereotype, and like most people who depend on stereotypes, you don't let any facts get in the way of the stereotype. I do not have this same "distaste for communism" that most Americans do, and that's precisely why your stereotype fails.

I have never ever had any interaction with you where you've given me any credit for being a rational human being. Why? Because again, you're letting the fact that I am a Christian, and your stereotypes of Christians, get in your way. We're not all whatever it is that you think of when you think of Christians. But you sure act like we are.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 08:52
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Let me finish by saying your stereotype is just that, a stereotype, and like most people who depend on stereotypes, you don't let any facts get in the way of the stereotype.
    Don't you yourself make stereotyping comments about "Republicans" quite often?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 08:56
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Everyone sins. No such thing as a decent guy.
    I do not even know how to respond to this.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 08:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    Don't you yourself make stereotyping comments about "Republicans" quite often?
    Yes, so what? I really do not think that having a bias against Republicans is exactly the same as being a bigot. Do you?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:021 edit
    Yes, so what? I really do not think that having a bias against Republicans is exactly the same as being a bigot. Do you?
    But I thought offering constant stereotypes of a group of people you disapprove of is a form of bigotry, no?

You said "...like most people who depend on stereotypes, you don't let any facts get in the way of the stereotype"... does this apply to yourself?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:071 edit
    I have never ever had any interaction with you where you've given me any credit for being a rational human being. Why? Because again, you're letting the fact that I am a Christian, and your stereotypes of Christians, get in your way. We're not all whatever it is that you think of when you think of Christians. But you sure act like we are.
    Actually that is all about you stereotyping me and thinking falsely that because you have stereotyped me you can read my mind. I have said nothing in this thread 'because you are a Christian' and before you jump to the next obvious conclusion, I have said nothing 'because you are a woman'.
    I will give you credit for being a rational human being when you act like a rational human being. You generally don't. You also generally don't read my posts very carefully and are responding in anger to something you thought I said, but didn't.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:091 edit
    Bigot: A person who is intolerant of those holding different opinions.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    Maybe some people just don't want to date someone that thinks that someone like Mo that has the horrific human rights history he has and equally hateful rhetoric he spewed, is a perfect and upright man of God.
    Maybe some people are bigots who assume far too many things about people they do not know, just because they belong to a certain religion.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:181 edit
    Okay, have it your way. I'm bigoted against Republicans.

I dare you to claim that this rises to the same level of abhorrent, ignorant bigotry shown by KKK members against blacks, Nazis against Jews, Christians against Muslims, or even atheists against Christians.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    But I thought offering constant stereotypes of a group of people you disapprove of is a form of bigotry, no?

You said "...like most people who depend on stereotypes, you don't let any facts get in the way of the stereotype"... does this apply to yourself?
    Bigotry is having an opinion about a group of people which is unjustifiable.

Suzi's opinion about Republicans is a political opinion based upon Republican ideals.
    I think it justified.

If I say that Christians all believe in Jesus Christ as saviour is that generalizing?
    The stereotypical Christian believes in god. ???
    Africans tend to be black. ???

Come on. Some common sense please!!!
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:28
    We are all bigots then.
    Mr Twhitehead in particular!

(I see no tolerance on your part for the racist bar stewards on the Debates Forum!!)
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:34
    Actually that is all about you stereotyping me and thinking falsely that because you have stereotyped me you can read my mind. I have said nothing in this thread 'because you are a Christian' and before you jump to the next obvious conclusion, I have said nothing 'because you are a woman'.
    I will give you credit for being a rational human being when you ...[text shortened]... my posts very carefully and are responding in anger to something you thought I said, but didn't.
    I've read a rather large number of your posts in this forum, and I've seen your bias against Christians many times. You know what they say about something if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck. I find it hard to believe that anyone would say some of the things you've said in this forum if they had no bias against Christians. I'm usually surprised when I read your posts in the Debates forum, because I generally agree with them, and I see that you're capable of writing opinions about other people without bias. And then you come to the Spirituality forum and then things subtly change here when you speak about Christians.

But then again, this is precisely why I haven't brought this up before now. Because all you really have to do is pull out another nugget of wisdom and just call me crazy, and that's that, and you don't even recognize that you've made my point.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '16 09:34
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Bigotry is having an opinion about a group of people which is unjustifiable.
    Offering stereotypes about a large diverse group of people is unjustifiable in part because it doesn't "let any facts get in the way", as she put it, and it can therefore constitute disinformation, except in so far as it pertains to the nature of her bias. But anyway, in this instance it's moot as she has conceded that she's bigoted against Republicans.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree