1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 19:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, I do have to admit, I do sometimes copy from master games, but
    that usually only goes so far.
    Using an opening database/book is perfectly within the rules.
  2. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 21:30
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The time for honouring yourself is coming to an end...
    hey that quote is from Gladiator 🙂

Manny
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 21:35
    Originally posted by menace71
    hey that quote is from Gladiator 🙂

Manny
    😉
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 23:54
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    If it seems like I am picking on you, you will have to understand where I am coming from. I think the way you parade around the forums spreading your ignorant drivel and calling people liars without cause is ridiculous, especially when you are not being truthful yourself.
    Proper Knob said this on another thread recently. It's a good idea:

Zero interest in what an engine user has to say [RJHinds]. Suffice to say, every new game you start i'll be sending your opponent the data that has been collected and letting them know the situation.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '12 23:591 edit
    Yes, I read only "Huckleberry Finn" and I remember he got all worked up
    over the Bible stories until he found out the people were dead. He did not
    take much stock in dead people.
    I also thought Huckleberry Finn was a wonderful book, I especially liked the detailing of
    the colloquial Negro dialect. I read somewhere that there were attempts to sanitise it
    by removing some references, which would be a real pity.
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 01:21
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I also thought Huckleberry Finn was a wonderful book, I especially liked the detailing of
    the colloquial Negro dialect. I read somewhere that there were attempts to sanitise it
    by removing some references, which would be a real pity.
    some of his better work is not as well known.

-what is man? and other essays
    -the mysterious stranger.

he didn't finish the second one, but it's still good.
  7. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 03:06
    Originally posted by FMF

[b]Zero interest in what an engine user has to say [RJHinds]. Suffice to say, every new game you start i'll be sending your opponent the data that has been collected and letting them know the situation.
    [/b]
    What I find absolutely astonishing is that he sees all of the data, and plays dumb about it. How do you have match up rates better than ANY world champion, and act like it is no big deal? He has the audacity to preach honesty and kindness in the forums, and then do the exact opposite while playing chess here. I wonder if Twain ever said anything about hypocrisy?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 05:13
    What I find absolutely astonishing is that he sees all of the data, and plays dumb about it. How do you have match up rates better than ANY world champion, and act like it is no big deal? He has the audacity to preach honesty and kindness in the forums, and then do the exact opposite while playing chess here. I wonder if Twain ever said anything about hypocrisy?
    To me, it is like the data that is said to prove evolution. It doesn't
    prove anything to me.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 05:20
    Originally posted by FMF

[b]Zero interest in what an engine user has to say [RJHinds]. Suffice to say, every new game you start i'll be sending your opponent the data that has been collected and letting them know the situation.
    [/b]
    That is just fine. I hope they delete the games if they have any doubt and
    refuse to play me. If they are still too late, I will accept a draw offer if
    the game has not gone past the 9th move. Okay?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 05:24
    World Champions do not have three days to think on each move and
    can not move the pieces around on the board while they are deciding
    what that one move will be. So it is apples and oranges. 😏
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 06:00
    What I find absolutely astonishing is that he sees all of the data, and plays dumb about it.
    That's what all Christians do. Its a requirement for being Christian.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 06:171 edit
    That is just fine. I hope they delete the games if they have any doubt and
    refuse to play me. If they are still too late, I will accept a draw offer if
    the game has not gone past the 9th move. Okay?
    Perhaps Proper Knob should take the data that have been collected, and - without any comment, as the numbers speak for themselves - send them to all your opponents since you joined the site so that they know the situation.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 06:59
    What about ICCF World Champions?
    How do you think they match up?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 08:43
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    some of his better work is not as well known.

-what is man? and other essays
    -the mysterious stranger.

he didn't finish the second one, but it's still good.
    We even built a raft and sailed it down one of our local rivers (more a little stream) in
    imitation of Huck Finn, we even found and explored some islands, was awesome. Ill try
    to check out some of these others, Robert Louis Stevenson also has some great
    essays, Virginibus Puerisque is a collection of these and there is a great essay on the
    virtues of being idle.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 Jan '12 10:431 edit
    It's not apples and oranges, analysis of correspondence chess world championship matches (pre chess engines) still fall below the engine match-up thresholds.

The simple fact you don't recognise is that humans do not play like machines as former mod Gatecrasher put quite eloquently in a post a while back -

Strong humans and computers play differently. Strong humans generally play to specific strategies, to a specific plan, whereas engines will quite happily go off on tangents for a 0.01 pawn advantage, after evaluating millions of positions in a matter of seconds. These are moves and evaluations that strong human beings wouldn't even begin to consider, even if they were capable.

Simplistically, if you compare verifiably strong human match-up rates to engines over many games, the level of agreement with engines is far lower than many "top players" on RHP manage to consistently achieve.

While it is true that super-GMs get higher match-ups than regular GMs, who in turn get higher match-ups than IMs, who in turn get higher match-ups than FM's, etc, many players here and on other internet chess sites are capable of extraordinary match-ups; far, far, far in excess of the super-GM range. Even the top echelons of correspondence chess in the pre-computer era had similar match-up rates as today's regular GMs (and less than current super GMs)

There are some really good players at RHP whose match-up stats fall below GM/IM levels. These are the strong human players, who play excellent chess without the need to mimic Rybka or Fritz. And then there are those who, for want of a better word, are cheats.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree