1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Jul '14 17:31
    ...tell the difference between the truth and a lie about the truth?

Please try to refrain from obscuring the intent of the question. The meaning of truth being as it relates to the context of this forum. Can you tell the difference between what is true about things spiritual, and what is a lie about things spiritual?

If not, why?

If so, how?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '14 17:40
    Originally posted by josephw

Please try to refrain from obscuring the intent of the question. The meaning of truth being as it relates to the context of this forum. Can you tell the difference between what is true about things spiritual, and what is a lie about things spiritual?

If not, why?

If so, how?
    Since no human truly knows anything about the alleged spiritual realm, that would have to be no, we can't tell either way.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jul '14 17:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Since no human truly knows anything about the alleged spiritual realm, that would have to be no, we can't tell either way.
    Since you can't tell, then why do you keep denying the creation by God?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '14 18:051 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Since you can't tell, then why do you keep denying the creation by God?
    Keep in mind that his answer is based on the limited parameters of the OP, which assumes that a spiritual world exists. So he's only saying"no" for the sake of argument. It would be like asking "could you tell when a lie about planet Krypton is being made? Please refrain from obscuring the intent of the question". Any answer to that is merely for the sake of argument, like with the OP.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 11:58
    Do you speak for everyone?

Appearent you do since you're the only one to reply. I'll have to assume, then, that none of the other posters in this forum knows anymore than you do about things spiritual.

Very sad. Not only can you not tell what is true or not about things spiritual, but you don't even know whether there is anything spiritual.

I can only conclude that you are all lost, blind and dead to things spiritual.

The Word of God is proved true once again.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jul '14 12:041 edit
    The Word of God is proved true once again.
    I can tell that that is a lie. But not a lie about the truth, just a lie.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:06
    I had to go back to this because I think it gets right at the heart of this forum, and is why no one seems to have enough gumption to engage in debate about the truth of spiritual things.

sonhouse says, "Since no human truly knows anything about the alleged spiritual realm, that would have to be no, we can't tell either way."

The only reason I can find for why you ("[those] who can't tell" ) post in this forum is to give you an outlet for your frustration at being spiritually void.

Generally speaking, it is usually the weak and insecure who find it necessary to belittle others, which many do here. Theist and atheist alike.

I think I'm about to lose all interest in posting in this forum as I can't find an honest soul here who does anything other than find personal fault with those that disagree with their position.

I'm losing faith - in you.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:45
    I had to go back to this because I think it gets right at the heart of this forum, and is why no one seems to have enough gumption to engage in debate about the truth of spiritual things.

sonhouse says, [b]"Since no human truly knows anything about the alleged spiritual realm, that would have to be no, we can't tell either way."

The only reason I c ...[text shortened]... find personal fault with those that disagree with their position.

I'm losing faith - in you.[/b]

I think I'm about to lose all interest in posting in this forum as I can't find an honest soul here who does anything other than find personal fault with those that disagree with their position.

They may be hard to find because they (1) realize the impossibility of establishing truths about the spiritual by argumentation, and (2) realize even more, the invalidity of finding personal fault. So they mostly lurk quietly, to see if this situation might somehow change.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:52
    Originally posted by JS357

They may be hard to find because they (1) realize the impossibility of establishing truths about the spiritual by argumentation, and (2) re ...[text shortened]... ding personal fault. So they mostly lurk quietly, to see if this situation might somehow change.
    Most of that sounds true, but I believe truth isn't hiding and can be discovered through honest debate.

Just isn't much honest debate going on in this forum. Depressing.

Why lurk quietly? If someone has something to contribute to the topic of this thread, then by all means...
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 19:54

If not, why?

If so, how?
    Since I believe the bible as the only truth, I simply hold it up to the word of God to see if it has any merit.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 20:191 edit
    Most of that sounds true, but I believe truth isn't hiding and can be discovered through honest debate.

Just isn't much honest debate going on in this forum. Depressing.

Why lurk quietly? If someone has something to contribute to the topic of this thread, then by all means...
    I think spiritual truths occur by enlightenment to a prepared, receptive mind. I suppose this can happen via argumentation of the proper sort, mainly argumentation by people who are sincerely seeking such truths. But they say to seek out those who seek the truth, avoid those who have found it.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 20:34
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Since I believe the bible as the only truth, I simply hold it up to the word of God to see if it has any merit.
    Based on that statement I ask this question; if the Bible is the only truth, then what's the point in holding up to it anything not in it to see if it has merit?

Yes, the Word of God is a filter or a lens through which we test this life's matters to see if we are living a life that brings honor and glory to God.

Do you filter science through the Word of God to see if it is true?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 20:48
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think spiritual truths occur by enlightenment to a prepared, receptive mind. I suppose this can happen via argumentation of the proper sort, mainly argumentation by people who are sincerely seeking such truths. But they say to seek out those who seek the truth, avoid those who have found it.
    "But they say to seek out those who seek the truth, avoid those who have found it."

Witty, but I never found merit to that quip.

Biblically speaking, if I may be so bold, enlightenment is directly related to faith in God's Word. As a consequence of the action of belief and faith in what God has spoken of as it relates to being "enlightened", the third member of the Godhead baptizes the believer into Christ.

Biblically speaking it's the mystery, which is Christ in you.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '14 21:50
    [b]"But they say to seek out those who seek the truth, avoid those who have found it."

Witty, but I never found merit to that quip.

Biblically speaking, if I may be so bold, enlightenment is directly related to faith in God's Word. As a consequence of the action of belief and faith in what God has spoken of as it relates to being "enlightened", the ...[text shortened]... izes the believer into Christ.

Biblically speaking it's the mystery, which is Christ in you.[/b]
    "...I may be so bold..."

I expect nothing less than such forthrightness from you. In the vein of this thread, sincerity and forthrightness go together in helping avoid ambiguity that can shield the truth.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 04:36

Generally speaking, it is usually the weak and insecure who find it necessary to belittle others, which many do here.
    Generally speaking, it is usually the weak and insecure who find
    it necessary to believe in superstition and imaginary creatures.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree