1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 06:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    I think I'm about to lose all interest in posting in this forum as I can't find an honest soul here who does anything other than find personal fault with those that disagree with their position.

I'm losing faith - in you.
    I would have a look at this post and ask yourself this.

How much does this sound like Dasa?

Now, ask yourself this.

How do you feel about Dasa's approach to posting and his general attitude to spiritual matters?

Then answer this.

Who is most responsible for this view of Dasa? You or him?

Now if, like me, your answers are:

1 A lot

2 He is a dogmatic, humourless and utterly unconvincing advocate of his spiritual views, who does not engage with opposing views and then blames others for not being honest when they challenge his narrow perspective.

3 He is, as he is incapable of seeing another person's perspective and, when it conflicts with his own, his only explanation is that they are at fault.

then I think you need to consider seriously whether this is a path you want to go down.
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 06:49
    Most of that sounds true, but I believe truth isn't hiding and can be discovered through honest debate.
    Really?

I think I can mount a convincing argument that stoning someone to death for being gay is immoral. That, to me, is the truth.

So, be honest, how far do you think we would get in an 'honest debate' on this topic?

And if we cannot proceed to establish a truth on something that, to me, is so clear cut as barely warranting discussion, what makes you think that we would make progress on more contentious issues?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 23:03
    Based on that statement I ask this question; if the Bible is the only truth, then what's the point in holding up to it anything not in it to see if it has merit?

Yes, the Word of God is a filter or a lens through which we test this life's matters to see if we are living a life that brings honor and glory to God.

Do you filter science through the Word of God to see if it is true?
    Of course..
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '14 23:081 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Of course..
    Has your testing against the Bible been applied to the theories of a spherical earth and the heliocentric model of the solar system? If so, what were your results?

I ask this because I think that in the past, these theories were regarded by some to be heresies. I don't want to argue about it, I'm just exploring what you said, in a friendly way.

Edit: I'm not sure the round earth idea was ever declared a heresy but your response will be appreciated.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 01:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    Has your testing against the Bible been applied to the theories of a spherical earth and the heliocentric model of the solar system? If so, what were your results?

I ask this because I think that in the past, these theories were regarded by some to be heresies. I don't want to argue about it, I'm just exploring what you said, in a friendly way.

Edit: I'm not sure the round earth idea was ever declared a heresy but your response will be appreciated.
    I don't know the first thing about the spherical earth and the heliocentric model of the solar system.
    Even if they were declared heresies, the bible calls the Earth round, as you may notice in this verse...
    Isa 40:22
    22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
    And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
    Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
    And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
    NKJV
    If anything "proven" by science contradicts the bible, then man's interpretation of his study is wrong.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 15:34
    I don't know the first thing about the spherical earth and the heliocentric model of the solar system.
    Even if they were declared heresies, the bible calls the Earth round, as you may notice in this verse...
    22 It is He who sits above the [b]circle
    of the earth,
    Who stretches out the heavens ...[text shortened]... hing "proven" by science contradicts the bible, then man's interpretation of his study is wrong.[/b]
    OK so you haven't tested the heliocentric theory of the solar system against the Bible.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 15:57
    22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
    So basically a flat circle.
    So do you interpret this in light of scientific findings, or do you disregard the scientific findings?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 19:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So basically a flat circle.
    So do you interpret this in light of scientific findings, or do you disregard the scientific findings?
    Where in the bible does it say the world was flat?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 20:05
    The verse I quoted implies it. It is not the only such verse.
    Of course, it, like most of the Bible, is subject to a broad range of interpretation.
    If the Bible did explicitly say the earth was flat, would you believe the Bible and disregard science?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Aug '14 21:41
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The verse I quoted implies it. It is not the only such verse.
    Of course, it, like most of the Bible, is subject to a broad range of interpretation.
    If the Bible did explicitly say the earth was flat, would you believe the Bible and disregard science?
    Nowhere does it say the earth is flat. Not in that verse or elsewhere, your argument is childish.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    03 Aug '14 02:32
    Checkbaiter, if you have time, check out this site and give us some feedback on your conclusions.

http://errancy.org/
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Aug '14 04:41
    It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Aug '14 06:02
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
    Sorry, I don't see it..
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Aug '14 06:061 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Checkbaiter, if you have time, check out this site and give us some feedback on your conclusions.

http://errancy.org/
    The gospels were written, as well as all the other books, by men "as they were moved" by holy spirit. The four gospels were written by four different people with each ones own vocabulary.
    Most people mistake the times of events, especially when they occurred multiple times.
    Some tend to lump them in together as if one occurrence.

Unbelievers will always nitpick and find some fault missing the bigger theme.
    When God guides you into the scriptures and opens your understanding, it will transform a life.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Aug '14 07:48
    Nowhere does it say the earth is flat. Not in that verse or elsewhere, your argument is childish.
    I said it was implied. I also asked you a question. I had no argument.
    What is childish about what I said?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree