Do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you?

Do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
15 Nov 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
1. Demonstrably false. Everyone is not welcome to do what is right in their eyes and my morality is subjective.

2. Demonstrably false because [b]I do judge people
and know my morality is subjective.

3. Why? Present an argument.

4. Same as point 3.[/b]
Why is everyone not welcome to do what is right in their own eyes if morality is subjective?

If there is no single universally correct way to behave in a given situation why can't everyone can do as they please?

Moves
15 Nov 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Why is everyone not welcome to do what is right in their own eyes if morality is subjective?

If there is no single universally correct way to behave in a given situation why can't everyone do as they please?
*Edited

If there is no single universally correct way to behave in a given situation why can't everyone do as they please as long as they don't get caught (when breaking the law)?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Nov 17

[b
If there is no single universally correct way to behave in a given situation why can't everyone do as they please as long as they don't get caught (when breaking the law)?[/b]
Everyone can do as they please; that is free-will.
Society makes laws based on a consensus of
morality and prosecutes those that break those laws.
The laws that a society make are NOT objective
although law-makers will try and tell you they are!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Nov 17

1. Why is everyone not welcome to do what is right in their own eyes if morality is subjective?

2. If there is no single universally correct way to behave in a given situation why can't everyone can do as they please?
1. What do you mean by "welcome"? Welcome by whom?

2. Everyone does do "as they please". It is called "freewill".

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 Nov 17

Yet all ten of them (assuming they are all sane) agree that certain actions are always wrong.
Do they? How do you know that?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
15 Nov 17

*Edited

If there is no single universally correct way to behave in a given situation why can't everyone do as they please as long as they don't get caught (when breaking the law)?
1. Because one's subjective sense of morality could cause crimes.

2. There is no single worldwide "correct" way to behave in a given situation because the differ cultures on whose the members of each society are grounded have not yet being successful in establishing a globally accepted International Law enforced in all the countries of the planet.
That being said, your question is absurd, for one must act under all circumstances in accordance to the law of the country in which one's actions take place.
Also, the existence or non-existence of a single universal way to behave is irrelevant to the fact that the criminals get caught or not when they break the law.
😵

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Nov 17

A subjective moral code assumes that everyone is welcome to do what is right in their own eyes. So you can’t judge other people when they are just doing what is right in their own eyes because you would then be imposing your own morals upon them. It makes no logical sense to make moral judgments upon anyone other than yourself. Yet you do make moral j ...[text shortened]... pon other people because you actually believe that what is wrong for you is also wrong for them.[/b]
No it doesn't

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Nov 17

*Edited

Humans have inate morality, they know good and well (outside of mentally deranged like sociopaths and such) there are good and bad morals and they don't need a bible to tell them.
It is all relative however, for instance, don't be gay in Uganda, where it used to be the death penalty, now they just throw them in prison (with other men, wow). I would think they would throw a gay man into a female prison to punish him...
It just goes to show each society has their own morals as much as the Abrahamic religions try to foist their ideas of morality on the world.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Nov 17

Originally posted by @sonhouse
Humans have inate morality, they know good and well (outside of mentally deranged like sociopaths and such) there are good and bad morals and they don't need a bible to tell them.
It is all relative however, for instance, don't be gay in Uganda, where it used to be the death penalty, now they just throw them in prison (with other men, wow). I would think ...[text shortened]... own morals as much as the Abrahamic religions try to foist their ideas of morality on the world.
Those that do not know the difference between GOOD and EVIL turn to religion for advice.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Nov 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
Those that do not know the difference between GOOD and EVIL turn to religion for advice.
And then, in order to make heads or tails as regards whatever the mystic men of their respected religions happen to say, they follow differ "authorities" on hermeneutics, ending up as followers of as many denominations as many are the authoritative geniuses that turned them into being. Go figure😵

S

Moves
12 Dec 17

Originally posted by @fmf
"There is something I recognise about religion that we evangelical atheists haven’t really grappled with yet, which is that it gives people a chance to surrender. What religion says to you, essentially, is: you’re not in control. Now, that’s a very liberating idea." - Brian Eno

[youtube Ambient 2]6xxSDUeHBVw[/youtube]
I am no longer an adulterer addicted to things that make me have shame, I no longer am timid, but am full of life and wisdom. I know people better, have better relationships (in fact I had no relationships when I chased body building and was miserable. Now that I'm a follower of Jesus I have friendships with the right view and they have left me with the best moments in my life other than marriage). I am free to worship God and not have everything pulling at me like they use to and now I have peace when I sing church songs and peace with God. I no longer pray not to die as I did for 6 years because I knew if I died riding my bicycle to work or home I was going to hell. I pray you find the same freedom in following Jesus too. God bless you.

F

Moves
12 Dec 17

Originally posted by @swarminglocusts
I am no longer an adulterer addicted to things that make me have shame, I no longer am timid, but am full of life and wisdom. I know people better, have better relationships (in fact I had no relationships when I chased body building and was miserable. Now that I'm a follower of Jesus I have friendships with the right view and they have left me wit ...[text shortened]... ome I was going to hell. I pray you find the same freedom in following Jesus too. God bless you.
If your current belief in Jesus has to some extent mitigated personal problems that you were experiencing previously, or assuaged the unhappiness you were feeling, or compensated for the interpersonal inadequacies you mentioned, then it sounds like it was a positive change in your life.

Moves
20 Dec 17

If your current belief in Jesus has to some extent mitigated personal problems that you were experiencing previously, or assuaged the unhappiness you were feeling, or compensated for the interpersonal inadequacies you mentioned, then it sounds like it was a positive change in your life.
Would you describe your loss of faith as a positive change in your life?

F

Moves
21 Dec 17
1 edit

Would you describe your loss of faith as a positive change in your life?
You asked me about this before and I answered. Why are you asking me again?

Moves
21 Dec 17

You asked me about this before and I answered. Why are you asking me again?